SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth - Page 2

SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth

This is a discussion on SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What I'm most curious about is why you felt the need to make a post about this? They work great for you and honestly, I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth

What I'm most curious about is why you felt the need to make a post about this? They work great for you and honestly, I like them too, but what are you proving to yourself by doing this? Why do you care if someone doesn't like the type of holster you use? I drive a Chevy but I'm not preaching about how wrongToyota drivers are...same situation but a different product. Right?
    "I play for keeps."

Quote Originally Posted by JHoff View Post
    What I'm most curious about is why you felt the need to make a post about this? They work great for you and honestly, I like them too, but what are you proving to yourself by doing this? Why do you care if someone doesn't like the type of holster you use? I drive a Chevy but I'm not preaching about how wrongToyota drivers are...same situation but a different product. Right?
    I won't speak for the OP, but I will say that your analogy is not exactly the same.

More like:

I drive a Chevy, but when people tell me I'll cause a fatal car accident due to a design flaw, I don't fret and continue driving.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Im all about leather but this was great Mike. Thanks for taking the time to share this.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I too have had a number of training classes and in all of them I have utilized serpa holsters. mainly becuase they force you build muscle memory for your index finger.

as for everyday carry I would not & do not utilize them, even after training with them. I agree that you can train and continue to train but you can never be 100% ready for any situation. If you can remove a variable from the equation why not do it.

can't get a better tool for muscle memory... just my 2 cents.

Not against the product or anyone that does carry with it. Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I won't speak for the OP, but I will say that your analogy is not exactly the same.

More like:

I drive a Chevy, but when people tell me I'll cause a fatal car accident due to a design flaw, I don't fret and continue driving.

You're right. Your way with words is a bit better than mine. My point was that I wouldn't post on a forum to argue that I felt it was okay and the design flaw didn't exist. I'd just drive it anyway.

I guess I'm not looking to change the world or change the minds of others. I just aim to do what I see as right on my own.
    "I play for keeps."

Quote Originally Posted by JHoff View Post
    Simple, I'm tired of hearing and reading people pass on stupid info that they don't know anything about but have just "heard" some one else say. It's the same principal as those stupid forwarded and forwarded and forwarded emails from people about idiotic subjects that if anyone had taken 5 minutes to check on Snopes.com they could find out it is BS.

I think the SERPA is very well designed and I would hate to see someone new to carrying who was thinking about trying one out be warned off of it by someone who was talking out of their rear end.

Simple as that. You don't like the fact that I tried to demonstrate that a particular holster design that I happen to like a lot is safe and well designed, fine, don't read it. Roll your eyes and move on to the next thread. But unless I am mistaken and have completely missed the idea of this site and sites like it, this is what it is for. We post info and for discussion. And those of us who have been carrying a defensive sidearm for 20 years try to help out those who may be new to the concept.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Mike
    Great job with the pictures and the thread. I don't have a serpa but have been thinking about trying one. Like you I also get tired of people trying to convince us that a holster is going to force your finger onto a trigger. If that was the case than all of us that use leather holsters should be having ND's as well. When I draw my weapon out of a leather holster my trigger finger is lining up just as yours does resting on the frame as the pistol clears leather. If you have a tendency to clench your hand the type of holster will not matter. Stay safe my friend.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Simple, I'm tired of hearing and reading people pass on stupid info that they don't know anything about but have just "heard" some one else say
    Mike, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but lets face it, how much of what we say do we really know versus what we've heard?

I know the four rules of firearms safety because I read them, not because I experienced them. I know Paris is in France but I've never been to Europe. I know electricity makes my computer work but I can't see it running in and out.

So when certain trainers ban the Serpa because they have identified an inordinate number of NDs, I listen. Counter that with the "Accessory of the Year" award that Serpa got from the NRA. What I get out of all this is that the Serpa is great for some people, but not others. This can be said about most weapons and holsters.

So, I'm glad it works for you. I might try one myself if they ever build one for the PT145. I think I can bypass it's weakness.

Thanks for posting the pics.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Mike, I totally agree with you. Have a Serpa for my G-36, mainly for open carry when fishing, hiking, etc. The retention adds some security yet doesn's slow down the draw. A great product.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Perhaps you fsiled to read my entire post BAC. As I stated I have had to draw TWICE this year under stress, for real, and one of these times the scum bag was uncomfortably close to me when I did so. No ND. No "clenching". I'm sorry but, if someone can't overcome what you call an instinct with training, then they shouldn't be carrying at all.
    Okay, let me try to put it more eloquently, then. Do you think the multiple renowned firearms trainers who dislike the SERPA holster are doing so arbitrarily, especially as these people don't get any form of compensation for their opinions on one holster or another? Think about it. Blackeagle is exactly correct.

As for the advantage that the SERPA has over a holster with a conventional safety strap, everyone knows how to operate that, and there isn't a bad guy out there who can figure it out in about one second if he didn't already know. The SERPA isn't instinctual to operate so it is more resistant to a gun grab.
    Debatable, and anecdotal at best. ALS holsters are likewise difficult to manipulate, and even a hooded holster becomes a SOB to get undone when you're trying to disarm an officer of their weapon. I'll let evidence speak for itself, if it can be shown.

And one more thing, no matter if you are using a SERPA or a holster with a strap or just an open topped holster, by your reasoning BAC, anyone who draws under stress will have an ND because no matter what type of holster you use, your trigger finger should be EXACTLY where mine is in the photos demonstrating the proper draw technique from my SERPA.
    Incorrect. It's been shown to be pretty common that when the finger depresses a button or lever under stress, it wants to stay depressed. That's the clenching effect I'm talking about. On no other type of holster is the booger hook required to be squeezed in order to release the retention device, making the SERPA a bit different. Maybe it's a fat-fingers thing, maybe it's more prone on some guns than others, but enough NDs have gone off to make some folks who are around guns professionally a little nervous. Some might call that a clue, and something worth investigating.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I think Mike had a great post! I own a Serpa for my XD9 and I love it, but as others have said it's just a matter of preference. I work a high threat armed detail Fridays & Saturdays and the Serpa on my hip gives me a feeling of comfort due to the retention and ease of motion. I just purchased the drop leg platform and so far like it, but I'll put it to the test this weekend and we see how it works. To each his own in the world of firearms and carrying oc or cc. The Serpa may work wonders for me but to you it may not. It may not be due to a design flaw but just to what you feel comfortable with. Like the Marine say "this is my rifle there are many like it but this one is mine." Same with anything else. There are many variants of everything but it's up to you to make it your or not. To all the Marines on this board SEMPER FI and hopefully my example was a good one.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Mike, My brother (an LEO down in Florida) LOVES his serpa's. I prefer my leather pancake, but listen to my brother's advice too.

You are exactly correct in stating what this site and other's like it are about.

But remember you are always going to have people disagree with you, no matter what (BAC this is not a slight directed at you).

Everyone will have thier own opinion, and as long as it works for you then you are correct.

Thanks for the post, I may yet get a serpa to go with my pancake and my G-Code (OC holster).

Chris
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

OK I know this thread has gone on long enough, but first let me mention this. In my readings on the SERPA holster the one thing that was not mentioned here was if a stone or something gets lodged in the release area and you can't push the button in there is no way of getting the gun out without taking the holster apart. I look at it this way if there is a possiblity of something going wrong it is not for me.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

Quote Originally Posted by tnroadrunner View Post
    OK I know this thread has gone on long enough, but first let me mention this. In my readings on the SERPA holster the one thing that was not mentioned here was if a stone or something gets lodged in the release area and you can't push the button in there is no way of getting the gun out without taking the holster apart. I look at it this way if there is a possiblity of something going wrong it is not for me.
    You're right about that, but with anything you have your pros cons and defects. Nothing is 100% fool proof or can stand up to every test without fail!
    Look at semi auto handguns such as glocks, xds, s&w they're all capable of jamming defects due to rounds or other malfunctions, but you still carry one, correct?
    I don't care if anyone likes the Serpa personally but you can't nock a product until you've tried and tested it. I know I'm comfortable with it and that's all that matters.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Mike, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but lets face it, how much of what we say do we really know versus what we've heard?

I know the four rules of firearms safety because I read them, not because I experienced them. I know Paris is in France but I've never been to Europe. I know electricity makes my computer work but I can't see it running in and out.
    You "experience" the four rules everyday you don't accidentally shoot somebody.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links