SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth

This is a discussion on SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think this has turned into other then the merits of the holster. As to Serpa, it required more trigger finger control, but provides a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SERPA, it isn't "unsafe", the truth

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I think this has turned into other then the merits of the holster.
    As to Serpa, it required more trigger finger control, but provides a wonderfully secure holster.
    Its an argument alot like Boxers or Briefs. For some they just will not work, for others its the best option.
    Any holster draw under stress can be dangerous and possibly cause a ND, we cant predict what messed up situation you might be in.
    So can we please get back to merits, or drawbacks of the holster?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    1) My understanding is that it was many more than 2 incidents that lead to the instructors speaking out against the SERPA. 2 NDs resulting in injured officers, perhaps, but many others that didn't involve hits.
    It is my understanding that there were 2 incidents which generated a lot of attention after an instructor determined it was the holster design and not the shooters. Subsequently many instructors have followed suit. It's their program, so they can do as they please.

2) OP safely drew his weapon from a SERPA under stress twice.

3) #2 is true, but anecdotal and arguably statistically insignificant given the context of the discussion. Rates of NDs associated with use of specific holsters is what we should be looking at.
    I agree. The problem is, we don't know rates.

4) No need to comment on. I'm fairly sure you misread my point, or that I didn't make my point clear enough.

-B
    Fair enough. We're on two different wavelengths today (unusual).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

In your original post you said you had to draw twice this year - I looked through the archives and couldn't find if you had written them up. I'm always curious about how those things go down. If you're able and comfortable with it I'd really like to read the stories behind those two events. Glad they seem to have gone well - since you're still here posting.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Special pleading? Really? The basis of the OP's argument is that the holster is fine and he has two uses of it under stress to support his assertion. My position is that a lot of other knowledgeable people disagree, and the reasons why aren't arcane and mysterious. I'm not stating myself as an exception to anything, so I don't see how that fallacy applies even remotely.

-B
    Allow me to clear this up. I have TWO uses of the holster under stress in a real world situation where I nearly had to kill someone both times.

I have I would estimate over 1000 draws from the same holster in training situations where I was being timed, graded and in one class, drawing and firing in a shoot house with strobe lights and loud speakers blaring gun shot noise. I have trained in stressful environments. I have, to my great misfortune had to draw for real against real life bad guys. In all of these I had no ND's.

I was at no time trying to say that the fact that I had drawn twice under stress for real proved the superiority of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    In your original post you said you had to draw twice this year - I looked through the archives and couldn't find if you had written them up. I'm always curious about how those things go down. If you're able and comfortable with it I'd really like to read the stories behind those two events. Glad they seem to have gone well - since you're still here posting.
    The first I did write up here in great detail. The second happened less than a month ago and due to the possibility of legal proceedings related to what led up to the incident, I am unwilling to talk about it in detail right now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links