Defensive Carry banner

Help concealing a full size 1911

9K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  Wils91 
#1 ·
Ok! A good friend of mine is just getting into handguns and shooting and I helped him get his first pistol and his CWL. Hes a taller skinny guy but wears really baggy clothes so he can easily conceal the G19 I gave him.

I decided to hook him up by trading him my g19 and a holster for an RIA 1911 full size. A; because it gave him a good deal B; because i wanted a 45 :bier:

So now he has a new gun that he loves and I have a new gun that I love. Only question. How on gods earth do I conceal it? Any ideas? Id like something that I don't have to worry about freaking out the sheep or doesn't pop out of a shirt.

#2 ·
1911's should conceal just fine since they're thin and single stacked! Get a Supertuck and don't look back! Or find some good leather IWB. One of the guys on here makes Little Bear Custom Holsters - Welcome! We are glad you are considering our holsters. This page has info about myself and my  business partner.  I am not one to sit around and talk about myself but here it goes.My name is Dave Galloway, I built th and his stuff looks great too. There are others I just can't think off the top of my head.

I WISH I had a 1911, but my XD will do for now!

#5 ·
I use the Black Ops from Pure Kustom Holsters for my Nighthawk Talon 5" 1911 and works out great.

#12 ·
Great holster!!! You have done well Czampion. I'm not a big guy but I can easily conceal my 5" Springer in HBE's DC Special. It and his COM III are my favorites for my 1911 and BHP. Both are very comfortable and worth every penny of their price.

HBE DC Special

HBE COM III & BHP

#8 ·
First, he should carry in an IWB that has the belt loops on each side of the holster (as per the photos posted above). These have a thinner profile than IWB's that have the belt loops on the main body of the holster.

Second, have him get a pair of thin grips. Check out Esmeralda, ahrends, VZ, and other craftsmen. The thin grips will take about 1/8 of an inch off the width of grip.

My .02 ... good luck!

#15 ·
Hmm, it seems that the supertuck is highly recommended, I saw its name most often. What does anyone think of the M-tac? Seams to me like it would be easier to adjust the cant. But this is only from looking at pictures online

#16 ·
1911s are pretty easy to conceal with a good holster regardless of the slide length. With a full size 5" it's absolutely critical to use a real, purpose built gun belt. Cheap knock-offs and bargain belts are going to make your carry experience miserable, a dual layer gun belt will resist rotational torque from the weight of the gun and help support the rig over long hours of carry.

Personally, I prefer leather holsters and belts. My favorite IWB holster by far is Brommeland's MaxCon V. Others you might consider would be Milt Sparks VersaMax II, HBEs COM 3, or something from Nate at UBG.

Most makers also offer gun belts designed to work with their holsters and they're worth penny. I had a 1.5" Milt Sparks belt that I wore daily for over 7 years (until I outgrew it). Other belt sources worthy of consideration would be The Beltman and the Wilderness Instructor's belts (their 5 stitch model is remarkably comfortable and secure).
Jack

#17 ·
My fullsize and Little Bear Hoplite disappear, but most stuff does when your 6'2" 270 pounds

#18 ·
From the womans perspective I find my 1911 the easiest of all on them to conceal. I carry OWB and even at a petite 5'4" and 125 pounds my Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II hides easily under a sweatshirt or t-shirt. I don't wear anything different now than I did before I started to carry, as long as the top is long enough to cover the holster, and I've only run across 2 tops that were to short to cover up.
With the 1911 being as thin as it is, I can hide it easier than my little J-frame or the big honking 686 Plus with the nasty stock grips, those have to go. Even the GP100 with the 6" barrel hides better.

#20 ·
I can personally vouch for the MaxCon V, the Fist and the UBG holsters for 1911s OWB and IWB. All are great makers and you will be satisfied.
If you get the proper amount of "cant" to turn the gun, it suddenly conceals much easier. With the MaxCon, I can cover what is showing above my belt line, with my palm! So, the least tee shirt or polo shirt will hide it well.

#24 ·
I'm 5' 7"'s and 170 lbs without a belly (yet). Have no problem concealing my 5" Springer in my IWB HBE Leatherworks DC Special and belt (Very Important Items). Have to wear the right shirt and dress around the pistol. Find dark colored loose fitting t-shirts or sweat shirts do the best for me. If it's really hot I'll wear an Under Armour shirt and a button down over the T. Works like a champ for me and have NEVER been made in 16 years of carry.:smile:

#27 ·
the Crossbreed Supertuck is very easy to adjust the cant. It's one screw for each clip that you just unscrew and move it to another whole. I think you'd like either the Mtac or Supertuck from what I've heard. But I love my Supertuck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.