Recommend a (leather) holster maker?

This is a discussion on Recommend a (leather) holster maker? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a thread that lists many makers and lead times. I made an error and once listed Kevin with HBE. You might find something ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a (leather) holster maker?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Here is a thread that lists many makers and lead times. I made an error and once listed Kevin with HBE.
    You might find something useful there, along with the recommendations provided.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...er-makers.html

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

I have been very pleased with both Little Bear and Mitch Rosen. Fair pricing, excellent quality, reasonable turnaround times and both are holstermakers who will take the time to talk to you to help you make the right choice.

On the other hand, I ordered a magazine carrier from Mika holsters on Feb 28 and am still waiting...hmm

Administrator
    Yep, UBG makes mighty fine holsters and Pure Kustom busted right into the holster business making some great carry rigs with some visual eye~candy & uniqueness added to them as a nice plus.

I feel I must put in a plug for Eric at HBE Specialty Leatherworks. His work is exquisite!
    H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

He's one of the few manufacturers making a decent CCW holster for my pistol, a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. That's not all he makes though...

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Go to the Sponsor, Buy, Sell, and Trade section on this forum. Help support the guys (and girls) that help make this forum possible.

Also use the Search function. The topic has been covered a lot.
    Should also check out where is my holster post.

VIP Member
    Well, it certainly doesn’t get anymore subjective than this. Anyway, as you acknowledged, there are plenty of fine makers and most seemingly copy each other, whereas a few do offer a unique style for specific guns. Without knowing what handgun you have, it’s hard to make a targeted suggestion.

Based on my own experiences with various styles, I wish I had started with something less expensive since you’ll never get more than half of what you paid for it on resale. In the most rudimentary of terms I’ll suggest you stay clear from exotic materials because this is where you’ll be skinned alive! Short of that, I have no clue.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; May 9th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well, it certainly doesn’t get anymore subjective than this. Anyway, as you acknowledged, there are plenty of fine makers and most seemingly copy each other, whereas a few do offer a unique style for specific guns. Without knowing what handgun you have, it’s hard to make a targeted suggestion.

Based on my own experiences with various styles, I wish I had started with something less expensive since you’ll never get more than half of what you paid for it on resale. In the most rudimentary of terms I’ll suggest you stay clear from exotic materials because this is where you’ll be skinned alive! Short of that, I have no clue.
    Regards,
    Hi Saber,

I wish I could get one or more of Del Fatti holsters for half price.
    I acknowledge that nicer holsters are not necessarily more useable. If a holster is comfortable, holds the gun securely, does not collapse so the gun can be reholstered, allows a full grip, and is at a height that suits one, then a less expensive holster is as good as a more expensive.

Some of us like pretty holsters as well as functionality. Maybe it a parallel to some like to collect plates, or Hummels.
    I don't go that far, but I do like nicely boned and finished holsters where the quality just jumps out at you.
    Examples of that in my eyes are, Nossar, Brommeland, Del Fatti, and Sparks.

That is a reason that I don't care for some good holsters such as Kramer.

Regards,
    Jerry

Holster Recommendation

Don Hume Holsters. That is all my husband and I buy for all our firearms. They are slimmer, more comfortable and sturdy.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    hbc,

Your words like "under appreciated" & "lower-profile", leads me to one holster maker that I would recommend - AKJ Concealco

Checkout their website and read about their inside the waistband hoslters (IWB). They have a couple of patented designs that really work e.g. Front Belt Loop & Frontal Fold-over Reinforcement. Definitely one of my favorite low profile holster maker.

Click here: AKJ Concealco LLC: IWB Holsters

I love those pics!

I started ccw with a walther ppk/s with a bellyband but now carry a Para Ordnance Warthog, so I had trouble with the first two clip IWB leather holster I tried. It just wouldnt fit well to my body. But the AKJ concealo might work for me. If I do get one, I'm tempted to attach the tuckable clips that the vmII uses and see if that will work for deep concealment.

Side Guard

Forum sponsor, quality workmanship and great service.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'll be ordering a Simply Rugged pancake hoslter for my 686 Plus tomorrow. I'll post a report after I give it a test drive.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I highly recommend Garry Brommeland. I have a Max-con V that I use for my XD 45 that I've had for 2 years. Gary now offers us 2 ways to get a holster. You can place a custom order (which can, unfortunately take a while), or he has holsters stocked at Coal Creek Armory. You can check out his work at
    Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons

This guy made my shoulder rig for my XD turn around time was about 3 weeks but the workmanship is phenominal...

Ted Blocker Holsters: Concealment Holsters, Duty Holsters, Western Holsters, Competition Holsters & Field Holsters
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I highly recommend Garry Brommeland. I have a Max-con V that I use for my XD 45 that I've had for 2 years. Gary now offers us 2 ways to get a holster. You can place a custom order (which can, unfortunately take a while), or he has holsters stocked at Coal Creek Armory. You can check out his work at
    Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons
    As for craftsmanship "they don't get no better than Gary." I have two of his Def-Cons. Whether or not you can get the holster you want in a reasonable time is another matter. If Coal Creek has one in stock go for it.

In my view the three makers that are at the absolute top in craftsmanship are Alex Nossar, Matt Del Fattti, and Gary Brommeland.
    I truly hope that Gary has gotten his business practices in order. Not sure what experience those who are ordering directly from him are experiencing.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links