Defensive Carry banner

Recommend a (leather) holster maker?

7K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  AZ Husker 
#1 ·
The mega-list of holster makers that we have on this forum is a great resource. But it's also a bit overwhelming. There are clearly plenty of good, high quality holster makers out there. It would be useful for me and others, I believe, to hear from those who have had particularly good buying experiences when purchasing from some of the, perhaps, less well known but talented and meticulous leather holster makers. Stated differently, I'd like to buy a few holsters from someone who makes very high quality holsters, but may not be as well known as some of "the usual suspects" (Sparks, Rosen, DelFatti, etc.). Basically, I'd like to support (with my $) a good, up-and-coming or perhaps simply underappreciated/lower-profile leather holster maker. Do you have any particular recommendations?

#2 ·
Go to the Sponsor, Buy, Sell, and Trade section on this forum. Help support the guys (and girls) that help make this forum possible. :hand5:

Also use the Search function. The topic has been covered a lot. :embarassed:

#6 ·
Ya' beat me to it, but it's OK...you have great taste in holsters.:yup:

#8 ·
HBE or Fist...best combo of price quality and turnaround time.

#9 ·
I like DM Bullard... he has made 3 for me and I am happy with each one. David does excellent work and only a 30 day turnaround...I ordered a pocket holster for my NAA on 4/16 and I got the confirm that it shipped today.... great guy...been to his shop and he took the time to show me what I really needed....Robbie

#11 ·
My current favorite maker is John Ralston at 5 Shot Leather 5 Shot Leather, LLC - Home 5shotleather

He does outstanding work, he's easy to deal with and is willing to accomodate special requests. Like most of the great makers he's got a pretty good backlog, but it's worth the wait.

I also think highly of UBG holsters UBG Holsters

I've got several of Nate's holsters and he does great work. Unfortunately, his wait times have been getting longer also but I guess that's what happens when you get popular.

#12 ·
"less well known but talented and meticulous leather holster makers. Stated differently, I'd like to buy a few holsters from someone who makes very high quality holsters, but may not be as well known as some of "the usual suspects"

You can check out Bruce Gibson of Gibson ProRodeo and see what holsters he has in stock.

He has got quite a few various rigs in stock right now. I just checked.

Bruce is an absolutely incredible gun belt maker :king: (though he is not taking belt orders at this point in time)

Bruce is a genuine official bull-rider of very high personal integrity who got into making gun holsters fairly recently.

His rigs are constructed of Hermann Oak leather and they are amazingly sweet looking and beautifully constructed.
The man sure does know his leather-work. :yup:

Go Here: http://www.gibsongunleather.com/GLOCKHOLSTERS.htm
Note: There are OTHER holsters available on the page for various popular firearms - NOT just GLOCK holsters.

Browning HI-POWER

#14 ·
hbc,

Your words like "under appreciated" & "lower-profile", leads me to one holster maker that I would recommend - AKJ Concealco

Checkout their website and read about their inside the waistband hoslters (IWB). They have a couple of patented designs that really work e.g. Front Belt Loop & Frontal Fold-over Reinforcement. Definitely one of my favorite low profile holster maker. :smile:

Click here: AKJ Concealco LLC: IWB Holsters

#25 ·
I love those pics!

I started ccw with a walther ppk/s with a bellyband but now carry a Para Ordnance Warthog, so I had trouble with the first two clip IWB leather holster I tried. It just wouldnt fit well to my body. But the AKJ concealo might work for me. If I do get one, I'm tempted to attach the tuckable clips that the vmII uses and see if that will work for deep concealment.

#17 ·
I have been very pleased with both Little Bear and Mitch Rosen. Fair pricing, excellent quality, reasonable turnaround times and both are holstermakers who will take the time to talk to you to help you make the right choice.

On the other hand, I ordered a magazine carrier from Mika holsters on Feb 28 and am still waiting...hmm

#18 ·
Yep, UBG makes mighty fine holsters and Pure Kustom busted right into the holster business making some great carry rigs with some visual eye~candy & uniqueness added to them as a nice plus.

#22 · (Edited)
Well, it certainly doesn’t get anymore subjective than this. Anyway, as you acknowledged, there are plenty of fine makers and most seemingly copy each other, whereas a few do offer a unique style for specific guns. Without knowing what handgun you have, it’s hard to make a targeted suggestion.

Based on my own experiences with various styles, I wish I had started with something less expensive since you’ll never get more than half of what you paid for it on resale. In the most rudimentary of terms I’ll suggest you stay clear from exotic materials because this is where you’ll be skinned alive! Short of that, I have no clue.
Regards, :boese51:

#23 ·
Hi Saber,

I wish I could get one or more of Del Fatti holsters for half price.
I acknowledge that nicer holsters are not necessarily more useable. If a holster is comfortable, holds the gun securely, does not collapse so the gun can be reholstered, allows a full grip, and is at a height that suits one, then a less expensive holster is as good as a more expensive.

Some of us like pretty holsters as well as functionality. Maybe it a parallel to some like to collect plates, or Hummels.
I don't go that far, but I do like nicely boned and finished holsters where the quality just jumps out at you.
Examples of that in my eyes are, Nossar, Brommeland, Del Fatti, and Sparks.

That is a reason that I don't care for some good holsters such as Kramer.

Regards,
Jerry

#27 ·
I'll be ordering a Simply Rugged pancake hoslter for my 686 Plus tomorrow. I'll post a report after I give it a test drive.

#28 ·
I highly recommend Garry Brommeland. I have a Max-con V that I use for my XD 45 that I've had for 2 years. Gary now offers us 2 ways to get a holster. You can place a custom order (which can, unfortunately take a while), or he has holsters stocked at Coal Creek Armory. You can check out his work at
Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons

#30 ·
As for craftsmanship "they don't get no better than Gary." I have two of his Def-Cons. Whether or not you can get the holster you want in a reasonable time is another matter. If Coal Creek has one in stock go for it.

In my view the three makers that are at the absolute top in craftsmanship are Alex Nossar, Matt Del Fattti, and Gary Brommeland.
I truly hope that Gary has gotten his business practices in order. Not sure what experience those who are ordering directly from him are experiencing.

Regards,
Jerry

#29 ·
#31 ·
Many thanks to the folks who've responded to my question. And my apologies for posting what may have seemed like a redundant question, given that many others have asked for similar advice. I was hoping to be clear in my desire to puchase my next holsters from a good guy (or lady) who does great leather work, may not be as widely known/recognized as some of the well established holster makers, and would appreciate the business. I'll check out all the names mentioned. The point about starting with the forum's sponsors is excellent.
Kind regards,
HBC

#32 ·
Make sure you check out Tucker Gun Leather. They make extremely well crafted leather, but the turn around is much faster than most of the others suggested. I believe the current time is five weeks, but my brother received his in three weeks. I am a week into the wait on my second holster from them. I am excited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.