Defensive Carry banner

Dumb question OWB

3K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  Ron 
#1 ·
I currently carry a 229 IWB in a VMII. It conceals easily with jeans or shorts and an untucked polo or golf shirt.

I'm thinking about trying an OWB rig. Is it possible to conceal OWB with just an untucked polo or golf style shirt, or will I need a more substantial cover garment?

#2 ·
I think it depends on how high the holster rides on your waist, how bulky the set up is and what garments you're wearing. So, make sure the holster rides high enogh to ensure the bottom doesn't expose. Wear a lose fitting shirt or other garment to cover it without printing.

#4 · (Edited)
As said above, I have certain shirts that I'll wear while carrying OWB (longer, darker, or pattern print-helps breakup outline of gun), and any old shirt while IWB.

Oh yeah, the only dumb question is the one not asked!

#5 ·
I usually use a high ride holster OWB with a T-shirt over that and then a unbuttoned cover shirt with a print, and that works really well for me, I can carry a large N frame revolver and it conceals very well

#8 ·
With a print shirt that remains unbuttoned, you will have no problems.:icon_neutral:
I buy my shirts a little larger because I like a lot of room in the neck after several washings...cover is never a problem even buttoned up.

#10 ·
Anything I carry, I carry OWB, and always with an untucked top. I've always worn tops untucked, so an untucked top looks like anything else I would normally wear. At 5'4" and 125 pounds I can carry and conceal anything from my Model 36 snubbie, to my 686 Plus to my GP100 with a 6" barrel.
About the only thing I really have much concern over is thin clingy knit fabrics. Textured fabrics and busy prints hide things even better, but I have been wearing a crinkled texture gauze blouse and carrying the 686 all day, out for breakfast, running errands, a trip to the range and out to dinner, nobody has given a second look.

#11 ·
I carry a G27 in a Mitch Rosen with just a pull over or a button up untucked a fair amount. The darker shirts work better. Plaid shirts are great. A good belt is a must. I use a Belt Man, but any good quality gun belt should work. I am going to order a C.Rusty Sherrick US High Ride holster at some point - his is the only holster that I have seen that rides high - I know others make the claim - like the Mitch Rosen upper limit - but not even close to Sherrick's. But I will say the Mitch Rosen works well with most shirts.

#13 ·
I carry a Sig 220 in a Galco Cop Series G519T. I wear a loose dark or plaid cover garment and it works well. The key to any rig though is a good thick heavy gun belt. Other wise you give yourself away by pulling your pants up over and over and over again all day. LOL I am looking at going to an IWB though. Any suggestions?

#14 ·
I carry a Dan Wesson CBOB in a UBG OWB holster on a Beltman belt. I generally have a button up shirt left open over a t-shirt. I'm not as comfortable without the second shirt.

#15 ·
Give it a try and see what happens. I carry a S&W 457, OTW, using Kydex under an untucked button-up shirt, one size too big. Not fashionable, but works well to conceal in warm weather.

#17 ·
I usually dont try and carry OWB unless its winter. Just because here in WA during the summer it gets pretty warm and I usually wear jeans and a tee. With a paddle holster and my full size 4 1/2" XDm the bottom pokes out. Some people might say to wear a bigger t-shirt, then I could swim in it! I am not a big guy, I only wear a Med-Lg!

However, in the winter its a different story. I wear a sweater and/or a coat. Wearing my gun IWB does not make much sence. I follow the two-second rule: Get the gun out, present it, and fire within two seconds. Under all those bulky cloths is much harder to to with a IWB.

So if you want to wear a OWB then I would recomend a vest or other loose, maybe larger fitting garmets.

#18 ·
Although I prefer to carry IWB I have on occasion carried my P-220R OWB but it requires me to wear either a larger, looser fitting shirt or in cooler weather a jacket of some sort. :smile:

#21 ·
TT Gun Leather makes a very fine high ride pancake.

The bigger you are & baggier the close, the less your 229 will print under a un-tucked shirt.

I'm fairly lean and wear medium to small sized clothing (it's just my style). My Sig Pro prints quite a bit under a un-tucked T-shirt; so if I usually have a light jacket over that.

Good luck on your purchase.

#22 ·
I carry my Kimber Ultra Carry OWB in a Little Bear Leather high ride holster. It rides high and very tight to my waist, and I conceal easily with a loose fitting T shirt here in Florida.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.