Looking for Carry options

This is a discussion on Looking for Carry options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is to all the big men (like me out there). Ive tried a normal, side carry holster. Its OK when I am at the ...

Thread: Looking for Carry options

This is to all the big men (like me out there). Ive tried a normal, side carry holster. Its OK when I am at the range, but getting in cars, it seems to get in the way of my center console. Fanny packs, belly packs or whatever you call them, reminds me of my neighbor who uses one, just looks silly IMO.

Anyhow, I don't see a lot of talk about shoulder holsters. What are you opinions on those? Are the comfortable? Any advantages?

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Others will undoubtedly have valuable input on shoulder holsters, and I will defer to their experience on that question. You should also do a search for "Shoulder" - it's a button in the bar at the top of the page. To get you started, here's a recent thread on Shoulder Rigs.

I'm huge, so I can relate. What are you trying to carry? (Snubbie, 1911, single-stack 9mm, etc.?)

If you're trying to carry a revolver with a bobbed hammer (or something else which has fewer or no pokey-bits at the back), check out my do-it-yourself SmartCarry (appendix position - would be less likely to hit your console), or another recent thread, Smart Carry for Big Guys.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Great info! Not carrying anything too big, SCCY CPX-1. Fits nice in my pocket, but always wanted to try a shoulder holster. Hoping I can find a good one at the NRA show this weekend coming up.

Shoulder holsters seem to be the way to go for larger gentlemen. There are myriad good desgns out there running a huge spectrum in the $ range. The problem is having to wear a buttoned-up covering garment or something heavier, like a sport (read suit) jacket. I was impressed by the reasonable price of Galco's X-Project system. It gives you some additional options for wearing the gun on your belt or on a shoulder-strap system where the webbing is hidden under a regular shirt and the holster mounts outside the shirt. A fascinating design, in my opinion.

Look, Ma -no webbing!

Here's the underpinnings...

Find more info here: Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Shoulder holsters are very versatile in my opinion. I've used one in the past, and carried a full size 1911 model, and my Glock 22 in it. It was leather and seemed to have infinite adjustments for the holster itself. Best way for me to carry this way was with the muzzle pointed up at about a 20 angle rearward from the horizontal position. A very natural cross draw movement, with a little bit of help from gravity on the extraction. It was also a double snap thumb break design. Thing about shoulder holsters is the need for a cover garment of some sort. I only wear jackets in the cold weather, but options are always good. Maybe a canted cross draw holster would work for you?

I recently bought a Galco Miami rig for carrying my M&P .40. I love it on cool day when I were a jacket or when riding the motorcycle.

For that Galco system, how does the holster attach to the webbing? That is pretty cool looking.

Sponsored Links