OWB and CCW ?

OWB and CCW ?

This is a discussion on OWB and CCW ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you regulary use OWB holster for CCW does it have retention? Why did you choose that option?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB and CCW ?

OWB and CCW ?

If you regulary use OWB holster for CCW does it have retention?

Why did you choose that option?
    Last edited by Cytoviper; May 14th, 2009 at 01:42 AM.

I use a don hume H721 O.T. for my ruger p345. just recently switched to it in the last month. works great for me and way more comfortable than my IWB high noon holsters i was using. It has no retention as far as straps or buttons. it just uses a tight fit to hold it in. when i first got it it was super tight and would take quite a bit of a pull to get the gun out of the holster. now its broken in a bit and isn't nearly as hard to pull out but still has more than adequate retention of the gun. I have a beltman 1.5" w/ the stiffner to hold everything up and wear a wife beater and a tshirt untucked to cover it all up. wife beater isn't neccessary but keeps me a little cooler. holster isn't uncomfortable w/o the wife beater so its not a must have for comfort w/ the holster. its comfortable w/ or w/o the wife beater. also the weapon does not flail about or seem unsteady like some of the other cheap "universal" OWB holsters i have unfortunately tried.

hope this helps

here's the link for the holster
    Reviews: H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $48.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    occasionally I use OWB with my G27 and don't use retention. I have also been known to use OWB to CC a Rugar Superblackhawk .44 with 4 5/8" barrel. I do use a retention strap on that one. Mostly because the holster isn't fitted well enough to the gun for proper retention.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I carry OWB 70% of the time. I have no problem with retention at all relying on the snugness of my holster.

I use OWB at least 98% of the time without retention or problems. The holsters I most often use are Brommeland Def_Con, Nossar PNCK, Sparks I-BAK and Sparks Axiom.
    The problem is not lack of retention, but getting them broken in so that you can draw smoothly, and not jerk your shoulder out of socket.

Regards,
    Jerry

A "good" holster should not need any retention straps or tension screws to keep your gun secure.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

OWB 100% of the time. dont own any other holster unfortunately. Carry a ruger gp100

I carry OWB 98% of the time. Do you mean retention like the stupid straps that go over the gun to keep it in the holster?

The answer is no. Retention as to SA and a properly made holster? The answer is yes.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glock 27 in a Don Hume 721 OT. I wear a wife beater undershirt under a golf shirt to keep the holster from rubbing against my love handles, but I usually open carry with no issues.

OWB about 50% of the time in an UBG holster without retention. Dan Wesson CBOB. Very secure.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I carry a Kimber Ultra in a Don Hume 721 OT half of the time, but I've taken to carrying the same gun in a nylon iwb clip holster.

I guess I should have been more clear about "retention" and specified it to say other than tension screws or just a tight fit. Does it have a strap/thumb break feature or a Serpa stlye catch of some sort.

I am carrying OWB for the time being until my mtac gets here. I use a blackhawk serpa holster. It has retention via a release button on the side of the holster. I absolutely love it. Draws and reholsters are effortless. Much better than a fobus if you're looking for some sort of composite/plastic holster.
    Sig P250c 9mm
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Kershaw Leek

Hopefully soon, RAA Saiga .223 and a Sig 1911 .45

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I use OWB all the time now. The holster I use has a retention screw, but no thumb break or trigger guard lock like the Serpa holsters. I carry either a Glock 19 or Beretta M9 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I love full size guns, and printing doesn't really concern me. Carrying the M9 does get a little heavy, but I put up with it because carrying a firearm is not supposed to be comfortable, its supposed to be comforting. I don't think it's any heavier than a full size all steel 1911 which I have also carried.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I carry my G26 in a Bianchi 84 Snaplok holster for OWB carry. The one feature I like about this holster is the "snaplok" release. The middle finger releases the snaplok that holds the gun in the holster as you draw the handgun from the holster.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links