Defensive Carry banner

OWB and CCW ?

2K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 · (Edited)
If you regulary use OWB holster for CCW does it have retention?

Why did you choose that option?

#2 ·
I use a don hume H721 O.T. for my ruger p345. just recently switched to it in the last month. works great for me and way more comfortable than my IWB high noon holsters i was using. It has no retention as far as straps or buttons. it just uses a tight fit to hold it in. when i first got it it was super tight and would take quite a bit of a pull to get the gun out of the holster. now its broken in a bit and isn't nearly as hard to pull out but still has more than adequate retention of the gun. I have a beltman 1.5" w/ the stiffner to hold everything up and wear a wife beater and a tshirt untucked to cover it all up. wife beater isn't neccessary but keeps me a little cooler. holster isn't uncomfortable w/o the wife beater so its not a must have for comfort w/ the holster. its comfortable w/ or w/o the wife beater. also the weapon does not flail about or seem unsteady like some of the other cheap "universal" OWB holsters i have unfortunately tried.

hope this helps

here's the link for the holster
Reviews: H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $48.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

#3 ·
occasionally I use OWB with my G27 and don't use retention. I have also been known to use OWB to CC a Rugar Superblackhawk .44 with 4 5/8" barrel. I do use a retention strap on that one. Mostly because the holster isn't fitted well enough to the gun for proper retention.

#5 ·
I use OWB at least 98% of the time without retention or problems. The holsters I most often use are Brommeland Def_Con, Nossar PNCK, Sparks I-BAK and Sparks Axiom.
The problem is not lack of retention, but getting them broken in so that you can draw smoothly, and not jerk your shoulder out of socket.

Regards,
Jerry

#13 ·
I am carrying OWB for the time being until my mtac gets here. I use a blackhawk serpa holster. It has retention via a release button on the side of the holster. I absolutely love it. Draws and reholsters are effortless. Much better than a fobus if you're looking for some sort of composite/plastic holster.

#14 ·
I use OWB all the time now. The holster I use has a retention screw, but no thumb break or trigger guard lock like the Serpa holsters. I carry either a Glock 19 or Beretta M9 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I love full size guns, and printing doesn't really concern me. Carrying the M9 does get a little heavy, but I put up with it because carrying a firearm is not supposed to be comfortable, its supposed to be comforting. I don't think it's any heavier than a full size all steel 1911 which I have also carried.

#15 ·
I carry my G26 in a Bianchi 84 Snaplok holster for OWB carry. The one feature I like about this holster is the "snaplok" release. The middle finger releases the snaplok that holds the gun in the holster as you draw the handgun from the holster.

#17 ·
I carry strictly OWB, whether it's my Model 36, my GP100, my Kimber, or my 686 Plus, no retention strap needed on any of them.

#20 ·
No retention straps for me. The only time I would feel that it is necessary would be if I opened carried. Than I would feel more comfortable with with some sort of retention system to lesson the chance of a gun grab.
Mike

#21 ·
chevyguy85, Are you a bigger/taller guy by chance? The reason I ask is, I too have a P345 and I really like that gun but I didn't consider it for CCW because of its size as compared to me. Being a person not that tall, a pistol that big would stick out like a red beacon! And a OWB holster wasn't really an option for me, or so I thought!
So I was curious to know if you were a bigger guy that's able to pull off something like that? Where as a shorter dude like me is still better off with an IWB holster and a smaller cal. weapon. Thanks!

#25 ·
I'm 5' 6" about 150ish lbs. i have a water gut. i have no problems carrying my p345 its light, thin, and reliable. its thin enough to carry IWB but OWB is more comfortable for me that i've found out. the don hume works great at holding it in tight and retention is good. one thing you should consider doing is taking out the magazine disconnect on the gun. its only a little piece right under the rear sight. if you plan on doing any IDPA competitions this is almost a must unless they let you fire it @ the end of the stage w/ the magazine in. i'll try to take some pictures of me with everything on i need to do a review of the holster anyway. if you have any other questions PM me. there are a couple other of us on here that i've found that carry the p345. nice to know i've found one more probably :)

#23 ·
I carry OWB most of the time without any retention device and there is no problem. My holster is specifically made for my gun so it has a perfect fit. No retention necessary. (Blade-Tech Kydex holster).

#24 ·
If you regulary use OWB holster for CCW does it have retention?
I mainly use the Comp-Tac SetCant, which has adjustment screws to precisely set the force clamping the trigger guard. This allows the user to tune the retention force, but it has nothing like a thumb-break.

Why did you choose that option?
My opinion is that any pistol needs to be snugly secure but a concealed pistol does not need something like a thumb-break or Serpa release to prevent its being grabbed by a BG who won't know it's there to be snatched. The "FBI" cant makes it hard for someone to yank out the pistol from behind even with no latching mechanisms.

#26 ·
I always carry OWB and have never owner a concealed carry OWB holster that had a retention strap.
Buy a high quality holster and forget the retention strap/thumb break.
It's just not necessary with a holster that has been properly fit to a specific firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.