Just ordered a lot of kydex, and I've run out of info.

This is a discussion on Just ordered a lot of kydex, and I've run out of info. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been contemplating what to do with the Kydex when it gets here. I've read and watched everything I could find on the topic but ...

Thread: Just ordered a lot of kydex, and I've run out of info.

Just ordered a lot of kydex, and I've run out of info.

I've been contemplating what to do with the Kydex when it gets here. I've read and watched everything I could find on the topic but feel that there is more to be done. Here are my primary questions:
    • Has anyone placed a layer of silk, felt or similar on the inside of a Kydex holster to circumvent wear as well as reduce noise? What are the results?

• How well does Krylon Fusion for plastics stick to Kydex?

• Has anyone tested the strength of the brass grommets commonly used for homemade Kydex holsters? (Notably from knifekits.com)

• Does anyone have a source for sqft of Kydex with Microban?

Favorite resources:
    Kydex Gun Holster Facts by Brad Justus Gunner's Alley, LLC
    MSDS for Kydex
    YouTube - Making a Kydex Knife Sheath

2. Remove Ads

Yay! Welcome to the world of kydex holster making! I love when folks decide to try their hand at something new. Kydex is easy to work with and very rewarding when you finish with a working & functional product.

When I first started I spent more time looking at current designs and trying to find the most practical blend of features and ease of molding. Check out my blog where I have a number of kydex stuff I've put together. Holsters aren't the only thing it's good for. I've used it for grips, mag holders and even used some as a support for the lock on the trunk of my car.
    Hidden Defense

I'm located in Atlanta as well. Let me know if you ever want to meet up to see examples of what you can do.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I've actually been pouring over your blog and the guide you made on this site. I appreciate the time you've spent putting all of the minuscule details in there for those of us that are just getting into it.

I would like to see your work, but I'm not in Atlanta right now. I should be moving there in July. For now, I'm an hour north of Atlanta off of I-75. I find myself in the area with some frequency, so I'll send you a PM before I fall down the map again. I want a few of those grip clips, so if you want to pool an order or have extra let me know.

My Kydex stuff should be here tomorrow and I expect to have a holster made by the end of the day, for better or worse. I've been going without for a while now, so it's necessary. I wish my heat gun hadn't just erupted in sparks and flames.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Been thinkn of doin it myself! Don t know where but recently heard of a kydex that had liner in it to lower the noise on a Draw of the weapon. If you have any info on where to get some of the different materials let me know. thanx
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

You know how easy every says Kydex is? Yeah, they've been understatements. I was trying to rush my first one and creased it in the wrong spot. So, I heated it up and started over...5 times, just to see the affect of repeated heating and forming. The 4th time I took it out and pressed it flat. It worked great, but I noticed that it had shrunk about 5% of it's original size.

You'll notice that I scorched the plastic in a few places. I was using a butane pencil to isolate the heat while being a bit impatient. The hot air gun works great for areas about 3" in diameter, but that covers almost all of the LCP. Using a cold rag over the portion I wanted to keep worked, but I grew very impatient of that method. I've always wanted a hot air pencil for SMT soldering jobs; now I have two reasons.

I'd say this holster took about 10min to make after I finished playing with the Kydex. I didn't leave enough material to cover the muzzle, but I suspect I can fuse a flat piece of Kydex over the end.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My mom had a perfect garden; it wasn't until I was an adult that she confessed that she planted lots of failures, but yanked 'em out quick.

Call your first holster 'tuition', feel free to toss it if warranted, and make more!

Bravo for you!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Regarding clips, some folks are concerned about their visibility: I did a trick that hides them pretty well. See Post Pics of your Homemade Kydex Holsters (Posts #6 and #12) and Disguising Those Clips (Post #39) if you're interested.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

These things are really cheap, so I have no problems tossing them. As long as I can cap the front of this one off, I'll keep it. It functions perfectly. I can grip the gun, push the holster off with my thumb and be in shooting position without having to reposition my hand on the gun; there's indeterminable printing no matter what pocket is used (for right hand carry); the gun won't come out unless the tab is pushed and considerable force is used to pull the gun out (I'd guess 5lb or so).

I will be making more, though...soon.

Links