Review: Clipdraw with XD9SC and comparison to Supertuck

This is a discussion on Review: Clipdraw with XD9SC and comparison to Supertuck within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a short summary in quotes at the bottom, for the hurried and attention-challenged. I have to admit that I was very skeptical of ...

Thread: Review: Clipdraw with XD9SC and comparison to Supertuck

There is a short summary in quotes at the bottom, for the hurried and attention-challenged.

I have to admit that I was very skeptical of the product...I wanted it to work and successfully used a similar clip on my keltec P3AT, but c'mon...the XD is a much heavier and thicker weapon, and couldn't possibly stay put with just a little clip, could it?

We'll, my buddy bought one at a gunshow and waited to see how he liked it before buying one for myself. In short order he was claiming that it was fantastic with his XD9(4inch model...tactical?).

Back to me...I've been pretty happy with my Crossbreed Supertuck for I think around two years now. I use it with a 1 1/2 inch carhaart belt, and of course, my XD9SC with 10 rd mags. I have two issues with it:

1. On occasion, I'll find that one of the holster clips have worked their way out of where they belong. This is indicated by the holster riding up and threatening to pop out, but still being held in place by the other clip. I believe this is partially the fault of some mysterious "squishyness" I have. I also believe that Crossbreed now supplies a different belt clip that would eliminate the ability of the clips to lose their connection with the belt. Please, don't let this stop you from buying a supertuck...it's a great product and a fantastic company.

2. More of a lazy problem than a holster problem, but I have often find myself leaving the house with my keltec instead of the more suitable XD because I didn't want to go throught he trouble to holster up after work. Days off no prob...but to take a whole minute of my precious time after work when I've only got a few hours to play with? I know...I'm lazy, but I'm saying it here because I don't think that I'm an atypical American in this regard...we want it quick and easy. Don't blame the Supertuck for this one either...anything other than a quick clip-on would give me the same trouble.

Back to the Clipdraw, I've had it for a couple months now and wanted to wait to review it until I've given it a good shakedown. I can say that it is almost, but not quite as secure as the supertuck. It sometimes starts to ride up (which would imminently lead to popping out if I didn't push it back down). Possibly a problem from personal squishiness...but I'd never have to worry about that with the Supertuck. (especially if I had the new clips). I've only run a little with the Clipdraw, and the gun didn't fall out...but I think I'm more comfortable that the supertuck would hold it better if I were to run much...but my keltec is my running gun anyway (although I have run a couple miles with the Supertuck, no prob).

Ease of arming myself: No contest...the Clipdraw make it a 1.5 second ordeal to tuck in a real gun. Since I've had it, I've been carrying whenever legal and won't get me fired...no more laziness taking over.

I am a bit concerned about the upcoming heat of summer...the Supertuck, of course, has a layer of leather that protects the gun from my sweat and filth. I also believe that the Clipdraw method will lead much quicker to a hole in my jeans from the barrel, but I think I can live with that.

Summary and Short story for those who don't want to read my excessive babbling:

-I'm lazy, and arming is quicker and easier with the clipdraw
    -The Supertuck is more secure, but the Clipdraw is suprisingly adequate...with just a little attention required to push it back in place every now and then
    -The Supertuck wins both regaring protecting the gun from sweat, and the jeans from the gun.

To answer the basic question about the Clipdraw and bigger guns: It works for at least two of us...I'm not giving mine up anytime soon, and niether is my buddy. Again, I use the Clipdraw with my XD9SC (3.1inch), and my buddy with his XD (4inch).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Good review but it looks a little scary to me. I mean looking at the pictures on their website it appears the trigger is exposed.

EW3
    I'm sorry, but Clipdraw looks like a ND just waiting to happen.

I'd NEVER use any product that doesn't cover the trigger.

Just my $0.02
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I'm sorry, but Clipdraw looks like a ND just waiting to happen.

I'd NEVER use any product that doesn't cover the trigger.

Just my $0.02
    I got this from the Clip Draw website...

CAUTION
    Do not carry the pistol in the ready to fire condition. This is not the recommended safe-carrying method for civilian use. To minimize risk of unintentional discharge, load live ammunition into the pistol only when you are ready to shoot. * Reprint from the Glock owners manual

Might want to add a Saf-T-Blok!
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Saf-T-Blok might be a great idea....I'm generally with you on the "covered trigger guard" thing...especially for pocket carry. I don't, however, feel unsafe with the XD. Besides the trigger safety (similar to Glocks), it also has a grip safety and there isn't a bunch of stuff hanging around in that part of my pants to catch the trigger. Still...I think I'll look into a safety block, if they even make them for the XD. Or I suppose I could fabricate my own.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

ev239 rigged a pretty cool kydex trigger guard which he posted here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-holster.html

Personally I wouldn't carry without a holster, but if you're going to use the clip I think something like that trigger guard would be a good idea.

I carry an XD9sc as well and I feel better with the grip safety ....but not enough for a clipdraw

Links