Location of backup gun?

This is a discussion on Location of backup gun? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty basic...instead of a BUG, I prefer extra mags. Now, on the rare occasions I do take a BUG, it's my P-3AT. The OP ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Location of backup gun?

I'm pretty basic...instead of a BUG, I prefer extra mags.

Now, on the rare occasions I do take a BUG, it's my P-3AT. The OP is correct, the KelTec is not a fun gun to shoot, but it always goes bang, and dependability is important in a second firearm.
    I just slip the .380 into a kydex pocket (yep, a pocket holster) and it disappears...hardley know it's there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I'm jealous, New Mexico in it's infinite wisdom says we can only carry one gun concealed at a time.

But... if I could... I think my G23 strong side with my PM9 in a pocket or ankle holster for my support hand would be really nice.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

If Im carrying my Glock23, the bug is in the safe. Never saw the need for normal citizens to carry two guns.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

P3at strong side front pocket or ankle holster.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I carry a BUG (642), along with a spare mag for my main carry (1911), in a badger holster from DGL (Desbiens Gun Leather). Oh, it is on my weak side.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    If Im carrying my Glock23, the bug is in the safe. Never saw the need for normal citizens to carry two guns.
    Careful what you say! "Normal" citizens carry NO guns.

I carry a BUG in a Badger Reload from Desbiens Gun Leather also...S&W M&P for primary and a S&W 642 for the BUG...I should probably standardize and get an M&P compact to carry on the off side, that way the spare magazine would work for both...All it takes is money...

I think a second gun is a good idea, I think it's even better if it is on the off side and easily accessible by the non-dominant hand. Many will disagree, but Mr Murphy seems to really hate some of us and sometimes a second gun can really be a "lifesaver"...

VIP Member
    Well, like MadBadger and others, I ordered one of these for my BUG from Desbiens Gunleather:

My primary carry is a 1911 and my BUG a S&W M&P340CT.

I also pocket carry my BUG in a Mika pocket holster and if necessary, (like at work) use a Galco Ankle Glove.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have several carry scenarios and they are somewhat different.

The main gun I carry is with my all steel J-frame .357 at 3:30ish under my suit or sportcoat. I carry my light weight 340M&P J-frame in a Null "City Slicker" shoulder rig as the BUG/New York reload.

I can access it with my left hand if need be. But I don't expect to and don't practice that draw. Although my primary is my belt gun and my preferred weapon - I can draw the 340 while seated from the shoulder rig if needed. That's the scenario that made me go with this particular rig for my BUG. The entire rig is very light weight at about one pound for holster, gun, and ammo.

Having a shoulder rig for my BUG allows me to wear my radio on my belt on my off side without too much stuff sticking out under my jacket all the way around. Also if I wore my BUG at belt level on my weak side I'd have to compromise either it's position or my radio's position.

My only other gun is my Ruger LCP. I don't usually use it as a BUG. It is my only gun at those times when ultimate concealment is required and the cylinder of a revolver is a little conspicuous. It's worn in the pocket, IWB, or in a belly band - depending.

When I carried my .38 S&W my bug .25 beretta in my back pocket.

Now I just carry my Kimber & 2 extra mags

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Careful what you say! "Normal" citizens carry NO guns.
    Oops..sorry youre right.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I found that it boils down to the elements of body mechanics, dexterity and dress code.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm not normal. LOL
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Oops..sorry youre right.
    You were right, too, but we need to be careful how we phrase things, lest our own words be used against us. Carrying one gun, or two, or more, is the same activity, the same right being exercised, with the difference being one of degree.

Indeed, if I was not of mixed dexterity, I would be much more likely to carry one gun. I am right-armed, but left-handed; drawing is more natural for the right side of my body, but shooting is best done as a lefty, especially with some chronic injuries compromising the strength and mobility of my right hand and arm. By habit, I tend to reach for my right hip, and I hate to not have something there, even if I am better off actually shooting with my left hand.

I have been carrying for 25+ years, and for most of that time, unless I was in a police uniform, I carried just one firearm on my person. The 2+ habit developed gradually, since the late 1990's, becoming more firmly entrenched since 2002, when I stopped carrying a 1911 24/7, and started using a Glock G22 on duty. The G22 was so big, I tended to carry two SP101 snubbies when out of uniform. I find my present duty pistols, SIG P229s, so easy to carry, that if I am not toting an P229 + snubby, I tote P229 x 2.

Just to be clear, it is not like I feel strange carrying just one weapon. I did not feel naked at the dentist's office, last week, with just an SP101, for example.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, like MadBadger and others, I ordered one of these for my BUG from Desbiens Gunleather:

My primary carry is a 1911 and my BUG a S&W M&P340CT.

I also pocket carry my BUG in a Mika pocket holster and if necessary, (like at work) use a Galco Ankle Glove.
    Dang! That is one elaborate rig!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links