Location of backup gun?

This is a discussion on Location of backup gun? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is probably a dumb question as I'm pretty sure many of you will say "pocket holster" and I'm also new to CCW. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of backup gun?

Location of backup gun?

This is probably a dumb question as I'm pretty sure many of you will say "pocket holster" and I'm also new to CCW.

I have an HK45C I can conceal somewhat easily with a supertuck as long as I don't stay bent over for too long, I've thought about getting an appendix rig either for the 45C or for a BUG (possibly a bersa thunder 380 type, have shot the keltec p3at and didn't like it too much), but I was thinking either carry the 45C appendix and the bersa 3 o'clock or reverse the two...what do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

There have been quite a few previous discussions of this. The nutshell summary is:

- Everyone has their own set up and you have to figure out your own
    - Lots of people won't talk about it for fear of being figured out (or something?)
    - The need for a backup gun outside of law enforcement is debatable. Lots of people on either side. Most don't carry a backup from what I can tell.

You should be able to get all the info you need from doing a few searches on the forum.

Back pocket weak side for a P3AT in one of my Rough Outs.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    You know its odd, the local LEOs can only carry one firearm on duty.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have enough trouble getting totally comfortable with just the one at times. BUG...not just yet
    2A is not negotiable

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    A pity. I can qual with up to nine handguns/shotguns, though the X26 Taser counts as one of those, so it is now eight. The carbine is kept on a different qual list.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    This is probably a dumb question as I'm pretty sure many of you will say "pocket holster" and I'm also new to CCW.

I have an HK45C I can conceal somewhat easily with a supertuck as long as I don't stay bent over for too long, I've thought about getting an appendix rig either for the 45C or for a BUG (possibly a bersa thunder 380 type, have shot the keltec p3at and didn't like it too much), but I was thinking either carry the 45C appendix and the bersa 3 o'clock or reverse the two...what do you guys think?
    One at appendix and one at 0300 has the advantage of one arm being able to defend both weapons at the same time, if an opponent's hand(s) get near the weapons. Which of your choices choices is worn at which spot is going to be a very individual thing, especially if if the appendix rig is IWB. I can tuck a 4" GP100 into the appendix position, if everything is just so, but then, if I move much, it can get uncomfortable.

There used to be a series of photos on another forum, in which my friend and teacher SouthNarc showed how much can be carried under an untucked shirt. It was an exercise in feasibility, not what he actually carried everyday, but the gun part was relevant. He carried an J-frame with a Barami Hip Grip, a Tyler T-grip, and a Hogue grip sleeve, known by many as the "Werner Mod," at appendix, and his larger auto at about 0330. (Claude Werner, a well-known instructor, posted how he equipped his J-frame, and folks dubbed it the "Werner Mod.")

I use an Alessi ankle rig to carry an SP101 snubby some of the time, but that is dictated by the environment and what pants I am wearing. For normal CC, an ankle rig is not part of the equation.

I tend to wear a P229 at 0300, and an SP101 or a second P229 at 0900, if the cover garment and other circumstances allow it. This set-up has the tremendous liability of spreading the weapons out, so that one is vulnerable to a take-away while one hand covers/shields the other and one hand deals with an attacker. OTOH, I am in the process of exploring the transition of my "primary" weapon from 0300 to 0900, after a quarter-century of reaching for my right hip in an emergency, due to some chronic injuries weakening my right hand and arm. (I am left-handed, but right-armed, if that makes sense, and functionally ambi with my usual defensive handguns.)

I have used pocket holsters quite a bit in the past. I have tended to stay away from them lately, largely due to in-fight accessibility issues, and because of my ongoing 0300/0900 experiment. Pocket carry does, however, allow one to have a gun handy, which is a vital ingredient in a gunfight.

I would be interested in your thoughts in these cases should you need to defend yourself in court.

Couldn't a savvy prosecutor use your choice to carry a bug, as argument that you are "looking for a fight?"

what do you all think?

Ex Commissioner convicted for displaying weapon....

Ex-commissioner's gun trial: Miramar ex-commissioner Fitzroy Salesman has been sentenced to 30 days in jail. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Hey folks, this happened today in my neck of the woods. What do you all think of the decision? Apparently, the ex commissioner was shopping in a Winn Dixie grocery store, got into an argument with another person in the checkout line, and when the guy asked him if he wanted to take it outside, he went outside, gun in hand. Take a look at the video.

He was convicted to 30 days in jail and one year probation.

Quote Originally Posted by ginzotech View Post
    I would be interested in your thoughts in these cases should you need to defend yourself in court.

Couldn't a savvy prosecutor use your choice to carry a bug, as argument that you are "looking for a fight?"

what do you all think?
    Unlike Mr. Rexster I carry a gun accessable to the "other hand".

We each have to find what works for us. When I carry a revolver as a primary I carry one on my opposite hip, or just behind the hip and a the third gun goes in the weakside pocket or on the ankle. If, like now, I'm carrying an autoloader as a primary then the BUG goes on my ankle or in my weakside pocket.

We each have to find what works for us. I am an advocate of multi-gun carry for a number of reasons. I like to have a gun accessable to either hand because when the baloon goes up you never know which had you will have available to draw from.

Also, lets say you feel threatened, but the situation hasn't escalated to the point where drawing a gun is legal yet. While trying to defuse the situation it is comforting to be able to have your hand on a gun, and nobody the wiser.

Another reason for multigun carry is a malfunction. Yes Virginia, even my Glock has malfunctioned on me. The BUG allows one to draw a second gun faster than you can clear some malfunctions. It also allows me to arm another person that I know to be competent, but for some reason doesn't have their own handgun. Don't laugh, I know more than one LEO that doesn't carry off duty.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

what do you all think?
    Survive the fight on the street. Well, don't just survive; prevail. Win.

Prosecutors can say what they want. Anything that can be used against you, will be used against you.

I have carried a backup/secondary/alternate gun when on duty for most of my 25-year LE career. On one rare night when I didn't, after I got home, I unholstered my sixgun, and heard something rattling around inside the grip area. I unscrewed the grip screw, removed the grip panels, and out fell the mainspring, in two pieces.

Ex-commissioner's gun trial: Miramar ex-commissioner Fitzroy Salesman has been sentenced to 30 days in jail. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Hey folks, this happened today in my neck of the woods. What do you all think of the decision? Apparently, the ex commissioner was shopping in a Winn Dixie grocery store, got into an argument with another person in the checkout line, and when the guy asked him if he wanted to take it outside, he went outside, gun in hand. Take a look at the video.

He was convicted to 30 days in jail and one year probation.
    Stupidity. Getting into an argument, and taking it outside, is stupid, gun or no gun. Carrying a firearm means staying out of silly arguments in the first place. A gun is for justifiable self-defense, NOT for punctuatiing sentences.

(I am left-handed, but right-armed, if that makes sense, and functionally ambi with my usual defensive handguns.)

Makes Perfect sense...I am Left eye dominant...but right hand is my strong hand.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Unlike Mr. Rexster I carry a gun accessable to the "other hand".

Biker
    Unlike, or like? I do carry for access to both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    That may be policy, but I wouldn't bet that nobody on that dept is carrying a BUG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links