Does your belt really matter???

This is a discussion on Does your belt really matter??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pax Yes, it makes a huge difference in comfort, stability, and concealability. pax I agree with Pax. Biker...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your belt really matter???

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Yes, it makes a huge difference in comfort, stability, and concealability.

pax

I agree with Pax.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

How's this sound-

Cheap belt=Belt conforms to the holster

Gun belt=Holster conforms to the belt

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    My Wrangler western belt seems to carry my holster just fine. Does a 50-100$ holster belt really make a big diffrence??
    It's not the money. It's the stability. The only way to know is to compare. Yes: more stable is better, from the standpoint of keeping the gun where it's supposed to ride on the hip. Of course, comfort and looks are also important. Generally speaking, you don't get those three things (excellent stability, comfort and looks) on the cheap.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is not only a matter of thickness, but also layers. A single layer belt like most regular belts can start out stiff. Over time however they begin to stretch and that is when your gun starts to flop or lean away from your body. Gun belts are multiple layers to add stiffness and to prevent stretching.

I just received my Wilderness instructors belt (5 stitch) and it makes a huge difference. I am currently waiting on my belt I ordered from the Beltman. I am looking forward to getting it.
    EDC: Glock 30 IWB Tucker Gunleather - Silent Thunder
    Ruger LCP - BUG in front or back pocket

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!"

Quote Originally Posted by PackinTiger View Post
    It is not only a matter of thickness, but also layers. A single layer belt like most regular belts can start out stiff. Over time however they begin to stretch and that is when your gun starts to flop or lean away from your body. Gun belts are multiple layers to add stiffness and to prevent stretching.

I just received my Wilderness instructors belt (5 stitch) and it makes a huge difference. I am currently waiting on my belt I ordered from the Beltman. I am looking forward to getting it.
    To the OP...
    The above words point out the difference between most Western belts and a good leather gun belt.
    I've had some Western belts that seemed OK at first, and I wondered the the same thing as you, why get a gun belt? It took several months, but the Western belts did stretch...none of my gun belts have...Wilderness , Looper Leather

You'll see in time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, I recently made the switch from a "regular" belt to a Galco "Cop Belt," and it did make a huge difference. Since the holster is pulled close in, I get much better concealment.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Not sure what belt you have but as long as you get a good quality double layer belt that is stitched all the way around you should not have a problem. I wear a $30.00 belt from the local farm and ranch store that works just fine. The belt holds my pistol tight to my body with out the sag.

There seam to be two classes of belts on this forum. The cheap $5.00 Wal-Mart belt that most start out with and find to be junk and the very high priced "gun belt" that most of the guys that bought the Wal-Mart belt go to. Over looked is the Cowboy type belts in the mid price range.

As I see it Cowboys have been wearing belts for a long time and understand what makes a good belt we don't need to pay for the "gun belt" title attached to a leather belt.

I suggest getting one that has a plastic insert sewn inside. It keeps the belt nice and stiff and really holds your holster firmly and snug to your body.

On duty I carry my Beretta in an Aker holster that is very tightly boned, when I bought it I also bought a regular belt that felt very stiff so I thought it would be a good match. But because the holster held the gun so tight I could barely draw it because of the belt flexing. I ended up carrying in a looser holster for a while until I switched to a 5.11 gun belt with the insert. Now I can wear the Aker holster and have no trouble drawing from it because the new belt holds it so securely, the gun comes free because the holster and belt don't move.

Big difference. Much more comfortable and easy to conceal.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    ... we don't need to pay for the "gun belt" title attached to a leather belt.
    Agreed, that the issue isn't "money" or "gun." It's stiffness and the specific ability to wear day-in and day-out with up to a ~40oz of gun and holster riding securely in place. There are many belts that do that, and not all say "gun" on them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    My Wrangler western belt seems to carry my holster just fine. Does a 50-100$ holster belt really make a big diffrence??
    As posted elsewhere, I'm not big on belts although I do believe it depends on the style of holster, and weight of the gun. Typically, they provide a more snug fit, and stable draw.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some non-gun-specific belts will indeed work fine. I bought a non-gun-specific elephant leather dress belt at a western wear store, that has become one of my favorites for toting firearms. It is elephant on the outside, and cowhide on the inside, and though each layer is quite thin, the double-layer construction makes it stiff in the direction that counts, even though it is quite pliable in the direction that makes it superbly comfortable.

A big factor is the type of holster and the pants. IWB rigs, worn with pants made of sturdy fabric, may not need a very stiff belt for everything to work well.

Body type is important, too. The more one's body deviates from vertical and firm at the point where the holster is worn, the more importance a sturdy, stiff belt becomes.

It usually makes a big difference for me.

The heavier the gun the more it matters. My LCP doesn't seem to care. My all steel J-frame 640 sags a bit with a regular belt.

I wear fairly thin 1 1/4" belts with dress slacks. 1 1/2" belts may make a difference.

I sometimes wear OWB with an IWB holster (between the slacks and the belt). It depends on the tightness of the particular slacks I choose that day. I can wear OWB this way almost as well as completely IWB because my guns all have very short barrels. I like the belt to hold the holster in tight. The gunbelts do it better than the regular dress belts I have.

I use a kydex insert type belt from Loopers. About $40. That's cheap enough that I can afford one in black and one in brown.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I'll let you know on Monday. I finally ordered my Wilderness belt last week. Can't quite afford a beltman belt. I bought a decent belt a few months ago when I began carrying, it was fine at first...but lately it has definitely begun to sag and pull on the opposite side of the holster.

I didn't expect the belt I had to last, but I had to wait til I could afford to buy a nicer belt (college student and all).
    I got my Wilderness a week or so ago. Ive worn it every day since. Its a very nice belt. I like it.

However, I didnt notice a HUGE difference between it and a $20 belt from Georgia Boot Company.

There is a difference though and I really like the Wilderness.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Def worth the money...when you see a holster on a gun belt and it stays upright and does not fall over when off of the pants....that is rigid and supportive.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links