Defensive Carry banner

How about a belt test?

4K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  muddy 
#1 ·
Lets do a test of belts. Not sure how well it would work but lets say 3 or 4 of us purchase belts, or maybe in the case of the custom belts if you have a new belt. We document how often we wear them and take pictures every so often. After a certain amount of time we have a final review.

So what do you guys say. Gives us a chance to see what gives in the belt area and maybe I am all wrong with my ideas that my $30.00 belts are all that. I guess as a another option a belt maker could just send me one of there gun belts to try out. :smile:

#2 ·
Both of my belts were custom made at a local leather shop. I depend on them, and they have yet to let me down. My 1 1/4" gets worn a lot more than the 1 1/2" because the 1 1/2" won't fit all of my belt loops. Nothing wrong with a thick leather belt that cost you $30 IMO. Rather spend the extra $70 on ammo, or magazines, or the lottery.

#3 ·
If you want a real test, get a $40 Looper Leather belt.
I've have several (black and brown) of them and wear them everyday.
They are as strong as they were 8 months ago...:yup:

http://www.looperleather.com/

I purchased the uniform belts, and they go great with khaki's and levi's.

#4 ·
If you want a real test, get a $40 Looper Leather belt.
I've have several (black and brown) of them and wear them everyday.
They are as strong as they were 8 months ago...:yup:

LooperHome
Thanks for the link to Looper. I need a new black belt and I'm going to try one of theirs on your recommendation.

#5 ·
I have a Binachi that I bought in January, been using it everday.
I don't remember the exact price, but it was reasonable.
Other than losing a few pounds, no problems. I did take it to my local dry cleaner and have a couple extra holes added to take up the difference, and it's working great. I have slim hips and no backside to speak of, so a good belt is the difference in being able to carry for me.
If a belt is strong enough to hold up my S&W 686 + and spread the weight of a heavy gun like that, it's a keeper for me.

#6 ·
I hate wearing clothes so I don’t typically use belts, or wear watches, rings and yes, under garments. Still, with this whole gun thing’ I have to occasionally use a gun belt which simply adds more bulk. Another downside is that I’m a quality geek so I generally end up spending a fortune on most anything. Now, this doesn’t mean I’m well to do; rather, just some sort of twisted misguided priorities.
Regards,:tired:

#7 ·
I had Eric @ HBE make me my custom gun belt. It's 1-1/2" tapered to 1-1/4" at the buckle. Excellent quality as are his holsters. Eric and Nate (UBG) both use the exact same materials and components as Jim Speidel (The Beltman). All 3 are excellent gun belt makers.

#8 ·
Ya ya ya. I am not asking about belts I am saying lets test these belts. Anyone want to play? I have been on this forum for less then a year and this belt deal has come up a few times, I post about cheaper belts and get shot down with guys saying they gust can't be as good as my "gun belt". Well lets see. Someone needs to put there belt up against mine.

I don't care how many belts we have but we at least need a $30.00 to $50.00 belt, $50.00 to $100 and an over $100 belt.

Come on guys.

#9 ·
Basically I have done the testing for you over the past 25 years and the best belt maker in the business is the "Beltman" bar none. Well worth the price and the quality is unsurpassed. Small shop and all belts hand made the old fashion way.

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

#15 ·
As posted elsewhere, I don't typically like belts! HOWEVER, I just read the entire Belt Man website, and now I want one! I agree, the test may be over before it starts. So many toys, and so little time...
Regards, :image035:

#11 ·
I can say the same thing. Been wearing belts off and on for 25 years. I have had 2 pound logger tapes, bores, hatchets, and misc other Forestry related steel hanging off belts for 20 years and never had a problem with quality.

Not saying that a custom belt isn't worth the price just saying you don't need to spend all that. Every time I say this there are a punch of posts saying yes I do so I just decided I would put up. Seams like I don't have any takers, madye this should indicate something.

Guess I just might have to get me one of them good belts and put one to my test since no one wants to put up or shut up.

#12 ·
I'm way too lazy to do that much work. If you find good leather belts that support your gear without sagging, rolling and stretching, year after year for $30, your a lucky guy. I haven't found anything that works as well as a good purpose built belt over the long run. YMMV

#13 ·
i've had my beltman since mid april i believe. still going strong. its starting to break in a little so its more comfortable now than when i got it. changing to an OWB holster probably helped my comfort significantly as well. i believe w/ the internal stiffner and 1 1/2" all the way around it was around $80 shipped. what did you want pictures of the belt? the belt w/ everything on it?

#14 ·
While I do recommend a gun belt, I have one single layer belt that I bought at the local flea market. I was made in Mexico, and is extra thick. It is stiff and heavy enough to carry a medium wt gun adequately.
I won't argue that it will not last as long, but it cost me either 10 or 15 bucks, and I have been wearing it for 6-7 years.

I also bought a Mexican made money belt. It has an extra layer so that there is a pocket for the money. It is adequate for even a large gun. I think the cost was $15.

Neither is the equal of a gunbelt, but they did not cost $70 or so either. I admit that when I carry all day, I wear a gun belt. Maybe it is just because I like the belts.

I have found that the greatest need for a quality 1.5" gunbelt is when I am wearing a paddle holster to help keep the holster close to the body. This is more difficult with a high ride paddle like the Galco.

Regards,
Jerry

#16 ·
Saber

Reading your earlier post I am not sure you will be happy with a Beltman belt or any other belt. Your dislike of clothing will definitely cause chafing from the belt. It is also not a pretty picture of you without clothing and wearing a gun belt.:ahhhhh:

#17 ·
The thing that makes an expensive gun belt so reliable is the fact that it is a double layer product. You can have a single thickness belt 1/4" fat, and it will not provide the strength of a good double, which acts like plywood. You get multi-directional strength in a thinner belt.

#18 ·
Well, a good belt will last years, I know mine do. So... think about it, how long of a test will you need? :rofl:

#25 ·
I looked at the Amish leather belts on ebay. They are made from one piece either 10 oz or 12 oz leather. I do not know how thick that is, but it is much thicker than the belts sold in Walmart.
I suspect it is thick enough for anything except a full size 1911, and it might be OK for that for awhile.

I am not saying that the double layer belts are not worth it, but if one wants a belt today and for about $25 shipped they appear to be a bargain.

Best,
Jerry

#32 ·
All this talk about belts and you guys go and order a single layer belt. It might be thicker then most as 10 to 12 oz leather is some of the thickest leather but what really gives a belt its strength is the double layer leather. These belts will hold up better then a cheap Wal Mart belt but not much longer. There are plenty of double layer belts out there that don't cost a mint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.