Question On Making Kydex Holsters

This is a discussion on Question On Making Kydex Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for those of you making your own kydex holsters. Are you using the gun to mold the kydex around or using ...

Thread: Question On Making Kydex Holsters

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Question On Making Kydex Holsters

I have a question for those of you making your own kydex holsters. Are you using the gun to mold the kydex around or using a fake pistol of similar shape? I am concerned that the heated kydex could cause a problem with the weapon. If I am understanding the process the kydex is being heated to around 300 degrees. Just not sure if this will cause a problem or not for a non metal framed pistol such as Glock of XD. So let me know what your experience has shown.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Poly framed guns do just fine. If you use a blue gun , a little cooking oil will keep the blue from transferring to the holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the info guys. So any of you use your own guns to form your holsters?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    I have used a few of my guns as models for holsters.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

thats pretty much all i have used to mold my kydex...i have a double folded fluffy towel and put the sheet straight in the oven set at 200 degrees, as soon as it gets a sheen to it i take it out, lay it flat, and place the gun inside...fold over the top edge (i painters tape a plastic rod to the top of the sights to allow for adjustment of tension, if your using a tension screw?) and place something heavy on top (or you or someone can just sit on it for a minute...lol

the kydex will form perfectly to the gun and any upgrades you have installed, after that you pull the kydex apart enough to drop the gun onto the towel (you were using an unloaded weapon, right??) and then cut the kydex to your liking... add a clip or leather tabs and hooks and your all set... the gun probably heats up more in one good range session or shooting course then for that minute in the towel...

there are better set ups and techniques out there, but i am only making deep concealment holsters for myself and don't feel like dumping money into something i do once for any given type of pistol i carry... just my .02
    "the only reason for a sidearm is to fight your way back to the rifle you were using..." -the gunny

djkj6
    Thanks for the tips. I am going to get some supplies ordered up and see what I can do.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...and it's fun to make holsters from kydex, in case nobody mentioned it!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links