Who has a wallet holster and uses it?

This is a discussion on Who has a wallet holster and uses it? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here use a wallet holster for carry of your bug?Here is my KelTec P3AT in my Galco wallet holster....

Anyone here use a wallet holster for carry of your bug?Here is my KelTec P3AT in my Galco wallet holster.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Not good...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not good...
    Why do you say not good?

I have one from Uncle Mikes that I use for my keltec and another one for my S&W 340PD. I don't always use them. I should though, they keep the gun positioned in the right place, conceal better in the pocket, and help keep trash, lint and other goodies from collecting in the wrong places.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Why do you say not good?
    probably for the same reason i would. the trigger is exposed. plus, not sure though, i think those holsters are not legal to use in a lot of places

The trigger might be exposed but I see no problem with that.I feel safe with the P3AT in my pocket with no holster at all.

VIP Member
    Concept is good, but execution is poor. Guns already seem to go off when their not supposed to, and I’m afraid this offering simply increases that likelihood.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have a Stoner rear pocket holster for my Rohrbaugh, but I usually carry it in a Galco pocket holster.

No way, no how would I buy or use a holster that did not cover the trigger.

I have a DMBullard, but use it without the "plate" that is supposeed to work for both RH and LH pocket carry. Nice workmanship and covers the trigger gaurd nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Anyone here use a wallet holster for carry of your bug?Here is my KelTec P3AT in my Galco wallet holster.
    Would that holster be considered an "any other weapon" by the ATF?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...f_letter19.txt
    NRA life member.

As stated in this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ruger-lcp.html

A shoot thru holster like that is illegal in many states. Before aquiring one, it would be wise to check state law where you reside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    Would that holster be considered an "any other weapon" by the ATF?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...f_letter19.txt
    If I'm reading this link right, it just says a "tax" (if it falls in the category) is required. So, tax paid and legal. Correct?
    To the OP, no I don't have one.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

VIP Member
    Whether the holster is legal or not; I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned with such a nebulous infraction. What should be of serious concern; is its utility and safety!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    This is pretty old, but still good as far as I know.

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Washington, DC 20226
    E:CE:F:TE:RLB 3311
    MAR 13 1996
    [Name] [Address]
    Dear :
    This is in response to your letter of recent date to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). In your letter, you request information regarding the legality of several wallet type holsters which you submitted of our examination.
    As defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e) of the National Firearms Act (NFA), the term "any other weapon" includes certain weapons capable of being concealed on the person. It is unlawful to make, possess or transfer such weapons which are not registered in accordance with NFA controls. Further, a maker of such firearms who has not paid the appropriate special (occupational) tax is liable for $200 making tax for each weapon produced and $5 for each weapon transferred.
    ATF has previously determined that firearms installed in various types of wallets, briefcases, canes, etc. may be NFA firearms as defined. The submitted samples are rectangular leather cases, which measure approximately 5 1/2 inches in length and 2 3/4 inches in height. They are designed to hold an American Derringer firearm (Model DA 3 in a fixed position with openings in the leather so that the derringer can be operated and fired while it is in the case. When the derringer is installed in the case, the weapon has the exterior appearance to other "wallet guns" which have previously been determined to be NFA firearms.
    - 2 -
    ATF has previously determined that an American Derringer, Model DA 38, in and of itself, is a firearm subject to the provisions of the GCA and is not a firearm subject to the NFA controls. The leather wallet by itself is not subject to control as a firearm. However, we have also determined that any person who might possess such a derringer in combination with the wallet holster would be in possession of a firearm subject to the purview of the NFA.
    Any person who possess the combination would be in possession of a firearm as defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(a)(5) of the NFA. Such firearm is subject to the tax imposed under section 5821, and the making provisions of section 5822 of the act.
    Should the wallet holsters, as provided, be sold or transferred separately from the derringers, we strongly recommend that you advise customers regarding the status of these items.
    If you would like to submit a redesigned or modified holster that you believe would not be subject to the NFA when held in combination with an American Derringer firearm, we will be happy to examine it and provide you with the results. We would suggest that the redesigned sample no longer resemble a wallet and the modification should include cutting the top rear of the wallet, thereby exposing the entire back strap and trigger guard area of the inserted derringer. The cuts should follow the exact contour of the frame of the pistol and not overlap to risk a disguised appearance.
    The samples which you submitted for our examination are being returned to you under separate cover.
    - 3 -

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If you have further questions concerning this matter, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,
    [signed] Edward M. Owen, Jr. Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Links