Situational Holsters??

This is a discussion on Situational Holsters?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...I am a big believer in certain holsters for certain situations. Yes you have an EDC holster, but necessity sometimes calls for something else. Granted, ...

Thread: Situational Holsters??

Question Situational Holsters??

OK...I am a big believer in certain holsters for certain situations. Yes you have an EDC holster, but necessity sometimes calls for something else. Granted, you need to practice with them on occasion to remain slightly familiar. I and my lady love walk quite regularly everyday for 4 plus miles. Our neighborhood has nice paved streets...but everybody but us has LARGE barking dogs including a pit bull who has been roaming his yard loose on at least one occasion. I like to exercise in loose sweatpants or loose basketball shorts...which does not allow for a conventional holster. I have ruled out Smart Carry for the time being and am considering a fanny pack for these situations. I however would not prefer a tacticool black one in case I want to use it otherwise. I will go black if I cant find the quality and/or style I want. Does any body know any manufacturers who make a QUALITY fanny pack in something other than black for a Glock 23 or P-228 Sig. Let me know. Thanks.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Search the leather shops for a small flat, thin leather pouch. My wife and I found such an article for her KelTec...just big enough to one small gun, one mag and ID. It's not what I'd call a fanny pack.
    It's light and almost unseen under a shirt.
    I know that they had all sizes...look around, you'll find just the right size.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't really need something with ID..maybe room for a small flashlight. I will probably be carrying a Glock 23 in it.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I use the Galco fanny pack for workouts like you mentioned. It works very well for me. What I like about it is that it has the neoprene holster in it with velcro thumbreak so the gun does not move around at all. I carry my S&W 642 in it. Not sure if it comes in other colors though, mine is black. Definitely worth checking in to.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

VIP Member
    I've tried a few and the Hawke Pak (GunPak 1 or 2) is by far my favorite!

Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Coronado Leather! Absolutely quality!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    By all means check out Tommy's Original Gun Pack. I bought one for my wife, and it is a very well-built item. Get on their email list and every so often they do a one-day or one-weekend half-off sale (unfortunately, the last one was three days ago).

The pack has a very wide belt, and buckles on either side. On the 'off side', the buckle connects the belt to the pack. On your 'strong side', the buckle connects the front of the pack to the belt: pinching the buckle with weak hand (crossing the pack) and pulling opens the top and side zippers to expose the weapon:

(you can't see the buckle that holds the belt on, but it matches the one you can see in this photo: more photos on their website).

They come in a variety of front colors (the sides are black, unless you add another $20):

Then, all you need is the "my favorite pony" patch sewn on and you're in business!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Check out the Camelbak Goblin. It comes in a royal blue color and has a hydration bladder. Should be good for the long walks...Here's a link, but I have no experience with this supplier.

Camelbak Goblin
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

pax
    Try an AE Pack from The Concealment Shop. Probably the easiest & fastest fanny pack draw I've ever seen from a normal-looking pack.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've tried a few and the Hawke Pak (GunPak 1 or 2) is by far my favorite!
    Agreed. The ability to carry a full size gun, even a 5" 1911, in a fanny pack that looks barely large enough to conceal a j-frame is definitely a Good Thing.

I rode in a 45mi bicycle race a couple years back with a P229R in a Hawke Pak on my waist.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The Safepacker, from Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC | Home of the Titanium Instructor Belt , is my usual off-body carry solution, and can also be worn on the belt, functioning as a flap holster. The fastex-style buckle release is my preference, over a zipper or velcro-style closure. Developed to be compatible with backpacks and other rescue gear, it also satisfies the open carry laws of states which do not require the weapon itself to be visible. (AZ is an example; at one time, at least, the Safepacker satisfied that state's definition of open carry.)

The Safepacker can be worn on a belt of your choosing, worn on an optional adaptor which converts it to a "fanny" pack, worn on a shoulder strap, in shoulder-bag fashion, hand-carried with or without a wrist strap, or, as already indicated, attached to backpacking gear. The Safepacker's main compartment holds the handgun and a magazine or Speed Strips, and the flap has another compartment that can hold something fairly flat. The construction is SOLID.

My older one is Colt Commander-sized, and has many miles and years of wear on it. My newer one is the Government +1" size, and I have used it for up to 4" revolvers with small grips. IIRC, the standard-width Safepacker are available in lengths for up to 6" revolvers. There is a specific wider-sized model for big-gripped sixguns.

I like to order a Safepacker one size (in length) up from the longest handgun I intend to carry in it. I am about to order myself another smaller one, as my Commander-size, in which I have carried everything from Commander-sized 1911s on down, seems to have been misplaced, and after countless washings and much use, it is not so crisp and new anymore. Don't get me wrong; Safepackers are tough. I have handled stuff by Maxpedition, and it seems delicate next to products from The Wilderness. Moreover, The Wilderness makes their stuff in the USA.

Anybody else used one of these? How about a belly band?

I've had really good luck with Hawke Pak stuff over the years...Nice "fanny pack" holsters, plus lots of other really good nylon gear..Plus, he's about 30 minutes away from where I live...

Links