Paddle holsters are bad?

This is a discussion on Paddle holsters are bad? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "The ECP by rmholsters, conceals as well as any OWB holster I have ever used. It is easily one of my favorites." I also have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddle holsters are bad?

"The ECP by rmholsters, conceals as well as any OWB holster I have ever used. It is easily one of my favorites."

I also have an Extreme Cant Paddle holster from RM Holsters. I love it. It is a different design than most paddle holsters, with the paddle molding to the holster, not to your hip.

Very comfortable and secure.

2. Remove Ads

Paddle holsters no matter how good the quality are not meant to be the best choice in a gun retention holster anyway, they are meant for convienance and comfort. A 200lb or plus man diving and grabbing a holster to get to a gun is a reality in carrying a gun, it's' just paddle holsters are vulnerable vs other types from snap in pancakes to level III. If you like the paddle use it. I used to use paddles from Fobus,Blackhawk to nice leather G&G but I mainly carry Inside the pants now. It's all personal choice.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Like all other holsters, paddle holsters have their uses. I used to have a S&W 4506 with a Bianchi paddle holster that had adjustable ride height and cant. I would never try to wear it concealed, but it was great for open carry or around the house.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I have a Galco paddle holster for my Kimber Compact. I have only one paddle holster. It is fine for range shooting, but it does not hug the body like an IWB holster.
    I guess I'm just to used to IWB holsters.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I usually wear a paddle when its cold outside and I need a coat. The coat conceals it well and the gun is easy to get at. During the summer months I wear a IWB and that does the job I need. However, if I am wearing my gun open carry (at the range, or behind the counter at work) I use my paddle.

I teach marksmanship at a range, so I like to wear my gun open at work to let everyone know that I am carrying.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have Kramer MSP's for every gun I own and they are fantastic. I also have one for a Commander made by Andy Artoonian of Horseshoe leather in England which is just unreal in terms of build, looks and concealment. Unfortunately, he no longer makes them which is a real shame. Paddles have always been one of my favorite ways to carry.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs down

Had and that's a big HAD Bianchi paddle for my SIG 228. Was in the line at our local Lowe's when it departed from my waist and fell to the floor. Slightly embarrising to say the least. Tucked the 228 and holster into my waist and left uneventfully thank God.

Found out the screws had backed out. Added some loc-tite to them but never used it again.

I woul personally not use one again.

JMO
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; May 23rd, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Had and that's a big HAD a Bianchi paddle for my SIG 228. Was in the line at our local Lowe's when it departed from my waist and fell to the floor. Slightly embarrising to say the least. Tucked the 228 and holster into my waist and left uneventfully thank God.

Found out the screws had backed out. Added some loc-tite to them but never used it again.

I woul personally not use one again.

JMO
    Hi JMO,
    I suspect many have done the same, but isn't it necessary to check all your equipment and not just the gun?
    Your experience indicates the necessity to check all equipment.

I once went to church with a Lt in the local city police force. When he came to church off duty he wore an IWB carrying a J-frame. I think it was a Jackass holster with straps similar to the Summer Special.
    One night I noticed that one of the straps was almost broken in two. I told him about it. However the next time I saw him wearing it there had been no change.

Paddle holsters are more likely to have problems such as yours and if not seated completely will come off with the gun. But leather holsters can be a problem under certain circumstances.

What do we learn from that? Have a good day.

Regards,
    Jerry

I own Desantis, Sig Sauer and Comp-Tac paddles. All very good. Don't be scared away from them. If I were a LEO, I would not wear them but for the average CCWer, it should be just fine IMO.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I like my little fobus for open carry and somewhat concealed carry. It's comfortable and I can slide it forward or backwards depending if I'm sitting, driving or walking.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi JMO,
    I suspect many have done the same, but isn't it necessary to check all your equipment and not just the gun?
    Your experience indicates the necessity to check all equipment.

I once went to church with a Lt in the local city police force. When he came to church off duty he wore an IWB carrying a J-frame. I think it was a Jackass holster with straps similar to the Summer Special.
    One night I noticed that one of the straps was almost broken in two. I told him about it. However the next time I saw him wearing it there had been no change.

Paddle holsters are more likely to have problems such as yours and if not seated completely will come off with the gun. But leather holsters can be a problem under certain circumstances.

What do we learn from that? Have a good day.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Jerry,

What I learned is I payed cheap money for a cheap holster from a reputable company that came apart by no fault of my own. There were no directions in the paperwork on checking the screws or stating they were loctited. I had only been wearing it occasionnaly during colder WX.

I also learned not to skimp on $$$'s for holsters. I now carry nothing but QUALITY IWB and OWB holsters from HBE Leatherworks or in the case of my shoulder holster an Alessi Bodyguard. I also pre-flight the Alessi as it is more prone to failure.

I thank you for the advice.

Respectfully and a safe, happy Memorial Day weekend to all,

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Jerry,

What I learned is I payed cheap money for a cheap holster from a reputable company that came apart by no fault of my own. There were no directions in the paperwork on checking the screws or stating they were loctited. I had only been wearing it occasionnaly during colder WX.

I also learned not to skimp on $$$'s for holsters. I now carry nothing but QUALITY IWB and OWB holsters from HBE Leatherworks or in the case of my shoulder holster an Alessi Bodyguard. I also pre-flight the Alessi as it is more prone to failure.

I thank you for the advice.

Respectfully and a safe, happy Memorial Day weekend to all,

Roger
    Hi Roger,
    I don't have any argument with that. Don't we live and learn?
    I don't have a holster by HBE, but they look like quality. Quality is the way to go.

Have a nice Memorial Day weekend also.

Regards,
    Jerry

kpw
    Carry a G19 or a G30 in a Comp-Tac settable cant paddle often. It conceals about as well as any belt holsters I've owned. Paddles are just like everything else. Some are great and some just plain suck!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Paddles have their place...lots of detectives use them...but again, they are okay if ultimate concealment is not an issue..if you want the best of both worlds, easy on/off and concealment, then try a snap on...this one happens to be an Alessi CQC but KD, Del Fatti and a few others make this style...

I have a Desantis Viper paddle I use if I am running to the store that I can just toss a jacket over. I also have a Blackhawk Serpa for middle of no where camping or hiking where concealment is not really and issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links