Paddle holsters are bad?

This is a discussion on Paddle holsters are bad? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive head hearsay that paddle holsters are the devil. Whats up with that? They're really comfortable....so its kinda tempting....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddle holsters are bad?

Paddle holsters are bad?

Ive head hearsay that paddle holsters are the devil. Whats up with that? They're really comfortable....so its kinda tempting.
    Μολὼν λάβε

2. Remove Ads

are all paddle holsters that weak or just cheap ones?
    Μολὼν λάβε

IIRC that is a first generation FOBUS holster. Supposedly the newer models have some steel in them now to prevent that.
    I have a Kramer MSP that I love. I also have another one I like. I cant remember if its a Bianchi or a Galco though.
    Like anything else, you pretty much get what you pay for. Is a $15 paddle holster going to be the same quality as a $75 one? I really doubt it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Although I do not have one it seems to be the consensus that the Kramer paddle holster is the best out there.

I have used Galco, Uncle Mikes, and Fobus. Of those the Fobus is my choice. The others ride too high and the gun tends to torque out from the body. The Fobus lays closer to the body than either.

As to the video, who will stand and let another come and take your gun? I have used Fobus paddles for over 10 years with no problem. I once asked a buddy, who is a firearms instructor, to break mine off with one jerk. He could not.

Two questions,
    1. Will you stand and let someone approach and grab your gun?
    2. If you carry concealed how will anyone know you are carrying?

The video is hokey in my opinion. I suspect I have as much experience with the Fobus paddle as anyone. I use it mostly as a range holster, and used to shoot 1,000 rounds per week so I have made thousands of presentations from the Fobus. No problems with Fobus. I sometimes use one for my J frame when I want a quick on and off trip to the store.

It is not the equal of a good leather holster, but I would rather use it than a cheap leather holster.
    I would buy the Kramer except I have too many guns that I carry, and just do not want to buy another 4 holsters that I won't use that much. If I used only one gun I would buy the Kramer.

Any paddle holster requires that you seat it on your belt as far as it will go. Otherwise it might come off with the gun. Just make sure that you do seat it completely.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have several Fobus paddle holsters and would reccomend them to anyone. I think the holster in the vidio was tamperd with. There is no way any of my Fobus holsters would break that easy.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I've worn paddles before. If you like it, wear it.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I've worn paddles for carry and IDPA competition--they work just fine.

I agree that the Kramer MSP Paddle is the best out there (I own one), so recommend going that route.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Paddle holsters are actually pretty good as long as you buy a decent one and not the Fobus junk (sorry owned 2 of them and that is my opinion), but they are terrible for concealment. If I were a Law Enforcement officer, I would probably wear a Kramer MSP since printing is a non issue

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    Paddle holsters are actually pretty good as long as you buy a decent one and not the Fobus junk (sorry owned 2 of them and that is my opinion), but they are terrible for concealment. If I were a Law Enforcement officer, I would probably wear a Kramer MSP since printing is a non issue

Yep, I agree with you 100%

I've used several paddle holster in the past and nothing worked (just between us, I did the Fobus thing as well).

I finally found the ultimate paddle holster. A paddle holster that actually conceals well! It pulls the pistol close against my body.

Yes, the Kramer MSP Paddle holster is BEST in it's category!.

Last edited by TwinCarry; May 23rd, 2009 at 04:09 AM.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Quote Originally Posted by zdinnd View Post
    Ive head hearsay that paddle holsters are the devil. Whats up with that? They're really comfortable....so its kinda tempting.
    If that position of carry is suitable for a person's needs, then a paddle holster can be a good compromise mix of ergonomics, fit and function. Only you can know.

If you're looking to conceal, you're almost certainly going to want a different mode of carry.

But yes ... they can be quite comfortable, by comparison to other carry methods. Fist #18 paddle, here.

Review of the Fist #18: click.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In my opinion they are good for quick short trips and range shooting were you are using multiply guns. Other than that give me a good IWB or OWB

I've worn paddles somewhat regularly. I think their biggest application is those who take the gun off and put it back on regularly, and the paddle design shines in this area.

I've been happy with them, but don't have much experience with different brands. I will check out the Kramer.

I wish Fobus made a paddle for my gun, but alas, they don't like lefties very much (VERY few choices).

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Generally, paddle holsters don't conceal as well as belt slide holsters. However, there is an exception to every rule! The ECP by rmholsters,Welcome to our online store, conceals as well as any OWB holster I have ever used. It is easily one of my favorites.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I use a ComTac speed paddle during the winter months under coat. Very well made, you can't break it off my hip and it's fast to draw from.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links