women and how to conceal a gun?

This is a discussion on women and how to conceal a gun? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't do purses, unless I go to work. So forget sticking one in there. I hike a lot, especially in summer = wearing light ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VV [OP]

I don't do purses, unless I go to work. So forget sticking one in there.

I hike a lot, especially in summer = wearing light weight closing.

Are there any particular issues concealing a gun being a female?

Any suggestions on what the best way is to carry it on me?

Today someone showed me a pocket holster. If I get a small revolver such as the Taurus Ultra light 38 special, it may work.

Are there any other places on my body pratical enough to conceal a gun?

Women don't tend to do well with concealment holsters right on the hip like men do. Generally, either forward of the hip (appendix carry) or behind the hip (on the kidney) are better. In addition to hip shape, women also tend to have shorter torsos, making it difficult to draw from high riding holsters (though this can vary from woman to woman). If this is an issue, a holster canted towards the rear, carried just forward of the hip can be helpful. Some women like carrying a holster originally designed for cross draw carry in this position.

For more suggestions on this The Cornered Cat website has some good info.

VV [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post

For more suggestions on this The Cornered Cat website has some good info.
    GREAT
    I just glanced at it and already bookmarked it for more detailed studying

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    It's harder for the girls to conceal and still remain fashionable... you might look into a SmartCarry... If I were a woman, a SmartCarry would be high on my list...

HTH...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

A pocket holster or a small fanny pack maybe your only options considering, no purse, probably no belt, and the hiking...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Try our search function near the top of the page in the blue bar. We have a couple of female moderators here and have has some good threads on female carry.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VV [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Try our search function near the top of the page in the blue bar.
    Will do.
    Lock and load and let em tell it to the judge. Its good to be insured by Smith and Wesson.

VIP Member
    Welcome You come to the right place. Keep us up to speed with Your choices as They may help some of the other Ladies here.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but some woman are able to carry within their blouse. This may work for the right handgun.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Check out the first post in this thread. Episode 8 of the ProArms podcast has the 2 girls from ProArms giving their opinions on this very subject. Good luck, and good hunting!

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I won't carry off-body, just not secure enough to me.
    For the majority of my carrying I carry OWB at 3:00. My 1911 actually hides the best. I wear jeans(snug) and a top that is never tucked in. Fortunately for me no major wardrobe changes were necessary other than a couple tops that weren't long enough to do the job. I can carry any of the 4 defensive handguns that I own and hide them, even the 686+ or the GP100 with a 6" barrel. The S&W model 36 hides almost as well as the Kimber if the shirt I'm wearing is loose enough at the bottom.
    I'm 5'4" tall and 125 lbs. and I thought I would have a lot more issues than I actually have found. Winter carry with jackets and/or heavier shirts is pretty easy, but even in warmer weather I don't have much trouble finding "suitable" clothes that still look feminine enough.
    Having a short torso is definately an issue for us girls, a custom holster will definately help, something with more "can't" help to position the gun in an easier to reach position and places the grip low enough to draw easily.
    I did get a Smart Carry holster for the Model 36 and I really like it for use with certain clothing, mainly anything with an elastic waistband it works great. Wearing it low on the hips in a deep concealment postion doesn't work very well when a lady sits down unless it's worn to the side, about the 3:00 position or further back on the hip.
    For running or jogging I think it would work well with a looser fitting untucked top, I can get away with a tee shirt in my normal size without having the grip printing under the shirt.
    HTH
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Carry it anywhere but near your chest and most men will never see it!

OH OH! Bad Thumper... go to your room!

Seriously, I agree with no off body carry. Some change in your dress is usually necessary for all of us but a good IWB holster and the right weapon can be easily hidden. One of the ladies here carries a 1911 that way!

Check out this site: http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/howhide.aspx
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Definitely no off body carry. Most of the women I know carry either in a pocket holster or strong side IWB using a vest of some type for concealment.

IWB at cross draw 10-11 o'clock works for me. I chose this position because in the car, if I carried at appendix, the seatbelt is in the way. I haven't changed my clothing style and don't use a cover shirt AND no one would ever know I'm carrying. If I wear gym shorts or sweat pants, the smartcarry works best; if I wear cargo shorts a pocket holster is "OK" --- but generally speaking women's pants pockets are not as big as mens; and besides that I have too much filling out my thighs to use a traditional pocket holster.

My wife uses a Sam Andrews Monarch Shoulder Rig, found here:

Andrews Custom Leather

She does not wear belts, so most IWB/OWB were "out". She normally wore an "under" blouse and an "over" blouse, so the Monarch worked well.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links