concealed carry while on motorcycle

This is a discussion on concealed carry while on motorcycle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not one of those HD stereo types (no gear) or one of those squids on a crotch rocket. I ride a naked sport ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry while on motorcycle

VV [OP]

I am not one of those HD stereo types (no gear) or one of those squids on a crotch rocket.

I ride a naked sport touring bike, ALWAYS wear full gear from head to toe, usually have a tank bag in front of me.

Is the tank bag the best place to take a gun with me? What if I stop somewhere and need to put it somewhere on my body? I can imagine some people would call the cops on me immediately if I pull a gun out of nowhere, even if it's just to transfer it from tankbag to somewhere in my riding jacket.

Usually I don't like to carry anything in my jacket. In case I ever should go down, I don't want anything poking me. Or the gun going off by accident at impact.

Are there other motorcyclists who carry while out on the road?

I carry an LCP in a Desantis pocket holster in a side-leg cargo pocket on my Motoport Kevlar mesh pants on the KTM. Carrying on the clutch side is important. Weight wise, the LCP is hardly noticable carrying like this.

If I feel like carrying the Glock 27 .40, it's in the same cargo pocket or sits in the tank bag on top of the water bladder.

I'd never leave the bike without removing the weapon from the tankbag if I had to go inside for something at a quickie mart.

For woods riding on the YZF, the Glock is with me. I either open carry (another reason to love Louisiana!) or use the same tank bag since my dirt gear doesn't have suitable pockets.

Dirty

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Carry my S&W 19 in an Alessi shoulder holster under my jacket which I ALWAY wear after sliding out at 50 MPH. Least of my worries is the revolver going off if I'm hit or go down. Glad you wear your protective gear and recommend you buy some Draggin jeans as I lost about 1/2 of my left butt cheek. Wear a t with a button down so I can take the jacket off when needed.

Ride safe and watch out for the cagers!!!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I use a Safepacker. Covers the gun completly protecting it in case of falls and hides the gun in plain sight. Good quality to.

Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cker-unit.html

Pro-Gun Forums - Safepacker for CCW

Like a safepacker, I like the Saber Gear thigh pack. Doesn't have real holster to hold a gun but one of the outside pockets holds my G23 perfectly. Otherwise I carry IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck.

FYI I ride a Harley Street Glide. Don't let the bagger status make a difference. Some don't like to carry on their person while riding but not me. I like to always have my weapon on my person all the time.

This is just the way I roll. YMMV
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Lead Moderator
    I usually wear a shoulder rig (Serpa rig) under my jacket and a cover garment. Here is another thread on the subject http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cc-merged.html
    A search will give you lots more info too, this has been cover a few times before.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My Glock-36 goes with me on my Harley in an IWB/SOB...no movement, secure, rides against my backrest, easy access, very concealed...extremely comfortable.

This one...
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/41.htm
    I wear mine over the right kidney, not the spine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jfl
    I carry my G-26 in a M-tac holster when I drive my truck or ride my Electra-Glide at 3:00 o'clock. I like to use the same gun and equipment I practiced with for a long time. I believe in SOPs (I am a pilot).
    To put your gun in a tank bag doesn't seem a great ideas to me; to easy to snatch if you drop the bike or if a cage run you off the road ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My Glock-36 goes with me on my Harley in an IWB/SOB...no movement, secure, rides against my backrest, easy access, very concealed...extremely comfortable.

This one...
    FIST, INC.
    I wear mine over the right kidney, not the spine.
    I was waiting for retsup99 to chime in with his rig. Think I need to try that holster some day. You think it'll work with a G23? They're very similar in size.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Distinguished Member
    I carry mine in a VMll, but it sure would hurt if I landed on it. I might consider ankle carry if it will fit around my boot.

Do a search on this topic; there have been some pretty long threads with lots of good comments.

I carry on the bike (Harley) the same as I do when I'm not on it. I've found that a good holster works just fine, on the bike or off. IWB is a little harder, since on a long day, the gun can start sticking into your side, but it still works. OWB is pretty easy.

I carry a Ruger LCP (always) either alone (sometimes) or in addition to another gun (frequently). It's just too easy to carry that LCP. Since I'm wearing a vest most of the time (colors, but not a 1% here), an OWB with my Kimber or Springfield is hidden easily.

I would not principally carry with the gun outside my person (as in a tank bag or something) unless that's your only choice. Since you are ATTGATT (all the gear, all the time), you have places to put guns on your person.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Like others here, I use a shoulder rig with my Kimber Ultra CDP. Works well and the gun is handy. Next would be IWB or OWB. Last would be pocket carry since access could be a problem. Most often I will add the Keltec P32 on an ankle holster as BUG.
    I ain't keen on off-body carry unless there is no alternative.

I use a IWB holster for my S&W 342Ti (summer carry) and my XDsc (winter carry) works fine.

I carry in an ankle holster (KelTek or J-Frame). The boot helps support/cover the holster. Sometimes I carry IWB (appendix) when I wear a vest to cover it. I don't wear "untucked" shirts and I also don't wear all the gear, all the time. If/when I do wear a jacket, I carry in a pocket and need to transfer to appendix or ankle when stopping for any reason long enough to remove jacket. I have never had any issues while transferring the gun from one location to another. Just plan your movements and stay as natural as you can, just like being at home in your garage. Most people don't pay much attention to bikers taking of/putting on jackets/ pants/chaps, etc, etc.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

In addition to the location of carry, has anyone thought about the repercussions of riding gloves and a smallerish trigger guard? I carry my Glock IWB on my motorcycle (as I always carry). But I wear gloves and my finger would not fit through the trigger guard comfortably with motorcycle gloves on. I did not have that problem with the H&K 2000, but since standardizing on Glocks, I have that problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links