Concealment

Concealment

This is a discussion on Concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what up, im new to this site and was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to conceal a SW40VE, i have an inside ...

Thread: Concealment

Concealment

what up, im new to this site and was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to conceal a SW40VE, i have an inside the waistband holster that i use occasionally in the front of my pants but its a little hairy when i have one in the pipe. I just bought a hip holster i got from cheaperthandirt.com and i really like it, it prints a little on the side but i dont want to have to buy large t-shirts.? I dont want to carry it in the front anymore, is there anything i can do to make this work.?? I normally wear a medium shirt and dont want to look like an idiot just to carry more comfortably.

First of all the SW40VE is an excellent choice for a carry piece. My
    40ve was my first handgun purchase three years ago. I've bought a bunch since but the Sigma seems to be the most comfortable and easiest to shoot accurately and fast of all of my handguns. Have you looked at a Crossbreed Supertuck. It's IWB and you can let your shirt fall down over it or you can tuck your shirt in between the belt clips. I've also used a Don Hume IWB extensively. Also, if your gun is inside a holster it is impossible for it to fire. While holstered the trigger is shielded by the holster and cannot be pulled back causing the gun to fire. Having a cartridge chambered should not be cause for any concern whatsoever. Only when the gun is out of the holster is there a chance that the trigger may be pulled back causing the gun to fire.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Quote Originally Posted by Adamcop84 View Post
    what up, im new to this site and was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to conceal a SW40VE, i have an inside the waistband holster that i use occasionally in the front of my pants but its a little hairy when i have one in the pipe. I just bought a hip holster i got from cheaperthandirt.com and i really like it, it prints a little on the side but i dont want to have to buy large t-shirts.? I dont want to carry it in the front anymore, is there anything i can do to make this work.?? I normally wear a medium shirt and dont want to look like an idiot just to carry more comfortably.
    First off, welcome to the site. Concealment....the word...what does it mean? Printing? Can anyone see your pistol? If not, then you are concealing. Granted...us concealed carriers would like the ultimate in stealth, with no hint of carrying a pistol. Sometimes it may seem impossible to the carrier, but what most of us know is that the general public is oblivious for the most part unless it's totally out in the open. So...printing is what you make of it actually, and who's scrutinizing your every nook and cranny. You can make anything work for you once you get over certain inhibitions. I've been going over this scenario with some of my t-shirts lately....looking in the mirror and thinking they worked really good a month ago, but now I can see a silhouette. But it's covered.....out of the public eye, and like me, you're probably making it more than what it is. Keep telling yourself that, because it's probably true. Good luck with everything, and have a good weekend.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The standard advice here is good (that's why it's the standard advice): concealed means concealed, and one should dress around the carry method. If you print with the size shirts you have, you need bigger shirts. Or (gasp) Hawaiian shirts that have such a loud pattern that people run screaming from you rathern than look for telltale bulges. (Just joking: I have a pal who wears nothing but Hawaiian shirts, and he looks fine - but you get the idea.)

Also, you'll see upon quick inspection that the standard advice for carrying with a pistol is to have one in the pipe: you won't have time to rack it if you really need it. If you have a double-action only or a double-action/single-action weapon, this is just like a revolver - it doesn't go 'boom' unless you pull the trigger. So, you just have to be sure to cover the trigger and all will be well.

I would encourage you to visit the "Holsters and Carry Methods" subforum and poke around for awhile. It could be that the Appendix Carry position might be comfortable for you (about 1 O'Clock if Noon is to the front), too.

Welcome to the forum! Hope we can be of help to you.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

You might also look at an MTAC from Comp - Tac. Have to agree with Paymeister that it is best to dress for the carry method, not the other way around. With slight adjustments no one will notice.

Always have one in the pipe.

Please read all of the advice within these threads...I've been here a while and constantly learn new things.
    The gun knowledge on this site is truly amazing.

Concealment problems?
    Make sure that you don't use cheap holsters. Get a quality leather holster (and belt), one that is 'boned' (fitted to the particular gun). You'll pay more, but it may also be the tool that eventually saves your life. It should securly contain your sidearm and allow you to effortlessly present it when necessary.

Dress around the holster, and make sure that your clothes are comfortably covering your gun and holster...no tight clothes means no printing.

Here in FL, everyone wears Hawaiian/Print shirts...it doesn't stand out.

Lastly, most people don't notice a that you might be carrying a weapon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome fellow shooter! I had thought about getting the S&W Sigma 40 also and I will more than likely choose the Crossbreed Supertuck. I hear the S T is a good holster to have. It should be beneficial for me because my job requires me to tuck my shirt in. I just wish the had it for the Ruger SR9. Then again I wish that was in .40 s&w (SR9). God bless and good shooting!!!!!
    Luke 22:36 says, Then He [Jesus] said to them ...and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.(NKJV)

Welcome fellow shooter! I had thought about getting the S&W Sigma 40 also and I will more than likely choose the Crossbreed Supertuck. I hear the S T is a good holster to have. It should be beneficial for me because my job requires me to tuck my shirt in. I just wish they had it for the Ruger SR9. Then again I wish that was in .40 s&w (SR9). God bless and good shooting!!!!!
    Luke 22:36 says, Then He [Jesus] said to them ...and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.(NKJV)

Concealment garment

Hello and welcome to the forum...

I too am new to the CCW world and have recently found my new favorite cover garment...... its a baseball jersey of your favorite team. They are usually available in a darker color to help fool the eye and you can leave it unbuttoned in the front for easy access.... or a single button if its windy out.... leaving it untucked looks fine. When you add an appropriate hat you just look like a baseball fan. The ones the pros wear are not cheap but they are heavier and cover better. Printing is not really much of a problem because of the polyester material likes to stay flat and not bunched up. Having a T-shirt underneath looks normal and keeps the holster/gun away from your skin too.

VIP Member
    welcome, I can't really add anything more to what's be stated above, I do feel that the IWB holster at 3 or 4 o'clock is the best method of concealment for me.

I have gone through just about every carry option there is lately, as I share your fixation with printing concerns. The advice on fitted, high quality holsters is sound. I have finally settled on OWB high-ride rigs with a square tailed shirt as the most comfortable and efficient. I dislike Hawaiian prints, but there are a lot of styles that feature the same cut but with single colors. In CA it would work perfectly, and the weapon riding high and close to your body disappears just about as much as it is going to.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Please read all of the advice within these threads...I've been here a while and constantly learn new things.
    The gun knowledge on this site is truly amazing.

Concealment problems?
    Make sure that you don't use cheap holsters. Get a quality leather holster (and belt), one that is 'boned' (fitted to the particular gun). You'll pay more, but it may also be the tool that eventually saves your life. It should securly contain your sidearm and allow you to effortlessly present it when necessary.

Dress around the holster, and make sure that your clothes are comfortably covering your gun and holster...no tight clothes means no printing.

Here in FL, everyone wears Hawaiian/Print shirts...it doesn't stand out.

Lastly, most people don't notice a that you might be carrying a weapon.
    Excellent advice from Don retsup99!!!

SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links