Have a quick question...

This is a discussion on Have a quick question... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I asked basically the same question a few weeks back except from the perspective of finding a holster that would accommodate my desired carry (palm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have a quick question...

I asked basically the same question a few weeks back except from the perspective of finding a holster that would accommodate my desired carry (palm out draw, right kidney area). I was discouraged as well but this for me is the most comfortable and quickest carry/draw I've found.

I have determined that the Galco Skyops holster is the only mass produced holster that will accommodate this carry/draw, with one exception.

I have found a temporary solution though. The Galco Underwraps Belly Band will also allow this method of carry as well as MANY others. I am finding that I really like the versatility of the belly band. You can pull your pants up over and have it act as a IWB holster and its even tuckable. You can position it anywhere on your hip, left or right handed, palm in or out. It is also easily concealed if positioned over the diaphragm or under the arm. Another PLUS to the belly band is that it is relatively inexpensive.

I don't like the fact that there is no cant to this holster and no active retention but it does have room for several extra magazines as well as a few other small items. People have also asked me if I've lost a little weight while carrying it, LOL! I suppose thats the "girdle effect".

I haven't noticed any issues crossing my body while drawing but maybe I have a goofy draw, I don't know. I'm not anticipating this being my long term solution or method of carry but for now it's working fine.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo View Post
    The only butt down holster I have ever seen was an old shoulder rig for a snubbie revolver. It concealed really well but you had to twist your wrist to get to it. Other than that I've never seen anything else...
    Unfortunately, I have one of those super unsafe rigs, and it’s still waiting for me to cut it in half and toss it.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    super unsafe rigs...

Unsafe how? Perhaps for someone who doesn't know how to use it.

Since we're talking twist to get the piece out, that would more than likely be a Null SMZ; an amazing piece of work. The old Bianchi standby was a "pull-through"; there wasn't anything unsafe about it, either. Granted, you couldn't use either on a square range with other folks on the line.

But while we're on THAT topic, I know of several shoulder-holster-wearing guys who I would MUCH rather be on a line with than a lot of other, conventional-belt-holster-wearing types.

Okay, you didn't want to hear all of that. However, I AM curious as to what exactly YOU have, and why you think it is "super unsafe".

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

Okay, you didn't want to hear all of that. However, I AM curious as to what exactly YOU have, and why you think it is "super unsafe".

I have a IWB made my UGB. I carry a XDm 40 at about 4:00.

I am an instructor who was taught by instructors who taught me that carrying a pistol in SOB position with the butt down, palm out configeration was unsafe. My instructors were fellow Marines whom I did not question. Just do what they say. I really never gave it a second thought until out of the blue my student askes me about it.

Also, trying to find a holster manufacture that sells them or recomends them are few and far between. That is why I posted this thread.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

I am an instructor who was taught by instructors...

Well, that's real nice.

But the question wasn't directed at you, Ace...

Some of these answers are pretty lame. Falcon 1 says it all!
    Butt up as it clears the holster it's pretty much pointed at the ground. Butt down it sweeps across your body from right kidney to right hip to right leg! Not a really good way to go!.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, that's real nice.

But the question wasn't directed at you, Ace...

I know who it was aimed at. I was just answering it, because I asked the question first. Why they are considered unsafe.

The topic had turned to shoulder holsters, and Saber indicated he had one of those "super unsafe" rigs.

THAT is what MY question, to Saber, was about... NOT small of the back carry. SOB is like carrying mexican; many folks do it/have done it with no issues, but it is considered "bad" by those supposedly in the know.

It has also been my observation that those most vocal in condemning some technique or method are generally the least experienced.

But that's just me...

My mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links