Defensive Carry banner

Have a quick question...

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Avenger 
#1 ·
I am probably going to be slapping my forehead after I read some of your replies. :blink: I teach marksmanship, self-defense, and CC at a local range. I had a student today ask me why he cant find a small of the back holster in the "butt down" position. I told him the usual reply of "they are considered dangerious and unsafe."
I got the response I was afraid of "WHY?" :ahhhhh:

I told him I would find out and have an answer for him at a later date.

So, why do we not carry "butt down?"

So embarrassing!! :redface:

#2 ·
"Butt down" would likely lead to a presentation which would sweep one's own back?

#8 ·
By "butt down" I am assuming he means a palm out draw which would require you to extend your arm fully before moving towards the target to avoid sweeping you hip or leg.

A palm in grip allows a natural and direct path to presentation without sweeping yourself.

The quoted response was correct.

#4 ·
I've never heard of that actually. Why would be my question as well. Just don't make sense.

#5 ·
The only butt down holster I have ever seen was an old shoulder rig for a snubbie revolver. It concealed really well but you had to twist your wrist to get to it. Other than that I've never seen anything else.
Also if I had an ND or AD I'd rather catch it in the leg or foot than the torso or arm pit.

#17 ·
The only butt down holster I have ever seen was an old shoulder rig for a snubbie revolver. It concealed really well but you had to twist your wrist to get to it. Other than that I've never seen anything else...
Unfortunately, I have one of those super unsafe rigs, and it’s still waiting for me to cut it in half and toss it. :hand1:
Regards,

#6 ·
I carry much of the time in this IWB/SOB...
FIST, INC. :yup:

I carry this over the right kidney, not the spine...the palm out draw keeps the gun from sweeping the body...very comfortable.

Stay armed...find the carry that works for YOU...stay safe!

#7 ·
Because IWB the gun would fall into your boxers and look like you got a load in your pants. :confused:

Seriously, if retention would NOT be a problem (and I think it would be with the pistol hanging upside down unless the holster had a retention strap) then the draw would certainly be problematic.

#9 ·
I have seen only one such butt down SOB holster, it was featured in a TV show called The Sentinel. The main character did so, but his draw in the show was always funky and several times mechanically wrong.

#11 ·
Well, I dont condone anyone to carry in the small of the back as an instructor. However, some people that carry large frame pistols (myself included) want to carry more concealed and they believe that small of the back is the only way. I do my best to talk them out of it and go with a strong side IWB. But I cant force them. Butt up makes more sence to me, it doesnt feel wrong. I just had that question about the safty and danger in carrying butt down. I can see now that pointing the barrel of your own gun at your side is not only mechanicaly wrong and okward, but dangerious aswell.

My student will just have to accept that carrying butt up is the best and safest way of carrying. Thank you all for your input!:hand10:

#13 ·
Could also be hard to draw if you have been nocked off your feet and someone is sitting on your chest or even slammed you aganst a wall.

That combined with the spine issue was enough to make me stop and consider.:blink:

#14 ·
I have several times in my life fallen and struck the small of my back against very hard objects (a toilet, a concrete step twice) and although it hurt, it did no lasting damage. I like the palm out IWB carry except when I am sitting or driving for long periods of time.

#15 ·
Well, if the guy was right handed he could buy a left hand SOB rig and wear it on the opposite side which would put the firearm butt down. The holster would need to have good, positive, retention though and would also be canted downward. He would probably need to have one custom made.

Well the answer is that if you wear a SOB holster directly over the spine in true SOB fashion and you fall over backward there is a possibility that you can cause a serious spinal injury. ~~~>:dead:

Probably not such a great idea for any person in Law Enforcement to have anything positioned over the spine due to the fact that they are often involved in various altercations and bad guy chases.

Most civilians could probably go a lifetime without falling over backward provided that they stay off of slippery mud, ice, and icy steps and stay out of fast food kitchens with greasy floors and oil rig decking.

#16 ·
I asked basically the same question a few weeks back except from the perspective of finding a holster that would accommodate my desired carry (palm out draw, right kidney area). I was discouraged as well but this for me is the most comfortable and quickest carry/draw I've found.

I have determined that the Galco Skyops holster is the only mass produced holster that will accommodate this carry/draw, with one exception.

I have found a temporary solution though. The Galco Underwraps Belly Band will also allow this method of carry as well as MANY others. I am finding that I really like the versatility of the belly band. You can pull your pants up over and have it act as a IWB holster and its even tuckable. You can position it anywhere on your hip, left or right handed, palm in or out. It is also easily concealed if positioned over the diaphragm or under the arm. Another PLUS to the belly band is that it is relatively inexpensive.

I don't like the fact that there is no cant to this holster and no active retention but it does have room for several extra magazines as well as a few other small items. People have also asked me if I've lost a little weight while carrying it, LOL! I suppose thats the "girdle effect".

I haven't noticed any issues crossing my body while drawing but maybe I have a goofy draw, I don't know. I'm not anticipating this being my long term solution or method of carry but for now it's working fine.

#23 ·
The topic had turned to shoulder holsters, and Saber indicated he had one of those "super unsafe" rigs.

THAT is what MY question, to Saber, was about... NOT small of the back carry. SOB is like carrying mexican; many folks do it/have done it with no issues, but it is considered "bad" by those supposedly in the know.

It has also been my observation that those most vocal in condemning some technique or method are generally the least experienced.

But that's just me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.