Have a quick question...

This is a discussion on Have a quick question... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am probably going to be slapping my forehead after I read some of your replies. I teach marksmanship, self-defense, and CC at a local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a quick question...

Have a quick question...

I am probably going to be slapping my forehead after I read some of your replies. I teach marksmanship, self-defense, and CC at a local range. I had a student today ask me why he cant find a small of the back holster in the "butt down" position. I told him the usual reply of "they are considered dangerious and unsafe."
    I got the response I was afraid of "WHY?"

I told him I would find out and have an answer for him at a later date.

So, why do we not carry "butt down?"

So embarrassing!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "Butt down" would likely lead to a presentation which would sweep one's own back?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Moderator
    Grabbing a gun by the barrel is not safe,therefore discouraged.

A gun is meant to be grabbed by the handle only. Thus the reason for not having any "butt down" holsters.

They dont conceal well that way anyway.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've never heard of that actually. Why would be my question as well. Just don't make sense.

The only butt down holster I have ever seen was an old shoulder rig for a snubbie revolver. It concealed really well but you had to twist your wrist to get to it. Other than that I've never seen anything else.
    Also if I had an ND or AD I'd rather catch it in the leg or foot than the torso or arm pit.
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

I carry much of the time in this IWB/SOB...
    FIST, INC.

I carry this over the right kidney, not the spine...the palm out draw keeps the gun from sweeping the body...very comfortable.

Stay armed...find the carry that works for YOU...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Because IWB the gun would fall into your boxers and look like you got a load in your pants.

Seriously, if retention would NOT be a problem (and I think it would be with the pistol hanging upside down unless the holster had a retention strap) then the draw would certainly be problematic.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    "Butt down" would likely lead to a presentation which would sweep one's own back?
    By "butt down" I am assuming he means a palm out draw which would require you to extend your arm fully before moving towards the target to avoid sweeping you hip or leg.

A palm in grip allows a natural and direct path to presentation without sweeping yourself.

The quoted response was correct.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I have seen only one such butt down SOB holster, it was featured in a TV show called The Sentinel. The main character did so, but his draw in the show was always funky and several times mechanically wrong.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I try to talk people out of small of the back. I only know of one person that carries in that position. To me it is not very safe or secure.

Well, I dont condone anyone to carry in the small of the back as an instructor. However, some people that carry large frame pistols (myself included) want to carry more concealed and they believe that small of the back is the only way. I do my best to talk them out of it and go with a strong side IWB. But I cant force them. Butt up makes more sence to me, it doesnt feel wrong. I just had that question about the safty and danger in carrying butt down. I can see now that pointing the barrel of your own gun at your side is not only mechanicaly wrong and okward, but dangerious aswell.

My student will just have to accept that carrying butt up is the best and safest way of carrying. Thank you all for your input!

The only negative reason I heard about small of the back carry, is that you will hurt your spine if you fall down on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    The only negative reason I heard about small of the back carry, is that you will hurt your spine if you fall down on your back.
    Could also be hard to draw if you have been nocked off your feet and someone is sitting on your chest or even slammed you aganst a wall.

That combined with the spine issue was enough to make me stop and consider.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have several times in my life fallen and struck the small of my back against very hard objects (a toilet, a concrete step twice) and although it hurt, it did no lasting damage. I like the palm out IWB carry except when I am sitting or driving for long periods of time.

Administrator
    Well, if the guy was right handed he could buy a left hand SOB rig and wear it on the opposite side which would put the firearm butt down. The holster would need to have good, positive, retention though and would also be canted downward. He would probably need to have one custom made.

Well the answer is that if you wear a SOB holster directly over the spine in true SOB fashion and you fall over backward there is a possibility that you can cause a serious spinal injury. ~~~>

Probably not such a great idea for any person in Law Enforcement to have anything positioned over the spine due to the fact that they are often involved in various altercations and bad guy chases.

Most civilians could probably go a lifetime without falling over backward provided that they stay off of slippery mud, ice, and icy steps and stay out of fast food kitchens with greasy floors and oil rig decking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links