Cross Draw

This is a discussion on Cross Draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a big fan of shoulder rigs, especially when driving. Just got a Comp-Tac Settable Cant OWB Paddle and configured it to a cross-draw position ...

Thread: Cross Draw

Cross Draw

I'm a big fan of shoulder rigs, especially when driving. Just got a Comp-Tac Settable Cant OWB Paddle and configured it to a cross-draw position which I really like. Got me thinking that there may be others out there that have tried cross draw and am interested in your opinions in this regard. Do you like cross draw? What issues or problems do you have with it? Thanks.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Cross draw is great for driving. The only issue will be with a seatbelt fouling the draw.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Cross draw feels natural for me. The problem I have with it when worn on the belt is the butt forward position doesn't conceal very well. The butt sticks out too far, creating a tell-tale bulge.

William, as I type this, I have my Glock 22 in my new Comp-Tac holster in a Cross Draw position and the grip does indeed stick out in front quite a bit. Makes me think that wearing this out around town might involve a jacket in winter, not something that could work in summertime.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I use a fanny pack in the car for long trips, but here's a driving to cross-draw holster...

Driving to Crossdraw Holster
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I use a fanny pack in the car for long trips, but here's a driving to cross-draw holster...

That is an interesting holster, it looks very functional.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I wear my G27 cross draw, but usually only when I'm wearing the G22 strong side.

Cross draw is comfortable and convenient but . . . Since the majority of people are right handed, someone facing you has your gun in the best position for their draw in a struggle. Hopefully you wouldn't allow a potential adversary to get within reach of you but . . .

I carry a Stoeger Cougar 8000 in the cross draw position. I always have carried cross draw, even when I was a kid running in the woods and plinking. I don't know why, perhaps it is because my arms are quite long and it is somewhat uncomfortable to reach my right hip with my right hand.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

I open carry my heavy revolver (454) cross draw in the field. Keeps whatever is carried in the right hand from banging against the gun (hiking stick, fishing pole, shed antlers). Like the fact that the draw is similar (same side) to my EDC which is a shoulder holster.

Quote Originally Posted by tome View Post
    Cross draw is comfortable and convenient but . . . Since the majority of people are right handed, someone facing you has your gun in the best position for their draw in a struggle. Hopefully you wouldn't allow a potential adversary to get within reach of you but . . .
    But concealed is concealed. How is your adversary going to know where to go other than get smart? In a struggle? We're supposed to avoid that, and if you turn your back to walk away....what's now in the best position for a takeaway? Think outside the box. That's what we're supposed to do in order to de-escalate an otherwise possible deadly confrontation. Right? I actually practice drawing weak hand from the cross draw position.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I bought the FIST Driving to Crossdraw holster. It is a nice concept, but be aware that it does not work with my Beltman belt. The belt is too thick for the holster to latch into position properly. I also have Liger belts and it works with those (they are much thinner).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Links