For those who carry Sig 229s

This is a discussion on For those who carry Sig 229s within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you carry it in? Looking for suggestions for my new SAS. Looking for both IWB and OWB options. Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who carry Sig 229s

What do you carry it in? Looking for suggestions for my new SAS. Looking for both IWB and OWB options. Thanks.

You've got an SAS 229? Lucky DAWG! I'd be carrying in a Galco Concealable model. That IMHO is far and away the most comfortable mass produced rig I've ever encountered for OWB. I mean if you want something comfortable that's custom then go with http://www.andrewsleather.com Sam Andrews. But I bought the Galco concealable series: The belt, "J" Hook spare mag holder and the holster as an ensemble and it's been great!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Look at Kdholsters.com

Chris carry' his sigs in them i carry my glock 20 in a kdholster also

Assistant Administrator
    Roc - I can only suggest something like my 226 lives in, if OWB is one of your considerations - your need would of course be a shade smaller. I have the Eagle Defender and it is A1 - even takes the 228 and 220 very well too.

Ignore the belt which is old but in fact I always have some belt sag - not liking to cinch too tight. The slight droop is totally self-limiting and the whole deal carries great for me.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris, does that stay open for one handed re-holstering? It does look nice, and looks like it holds tight to the body. That is K&D right? I got one of his paddle holsters for my glock that I really like and a belt clip for the R9 that is very nice, but the clip works a little too well, so I have a hard time getting it on and off. Maybe I'll give Kevin a call.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Assistant Administrator
    Roc - sorry late reply - been out most of morning.

Yes that is indeed a K&D and holds very tight in - you can see that if I add the rear view (again, ignore what looks like poor belt - that's old one and as said I don't cinch over tight).

I usually reholster single handed and while it closes a bit, not enough to prevent muzzle getting started and so after that easy. It has of course softened significantly now with use but it has also taken the form on the belt so to speak and so is ''settled in''.

Chris - P95

Nice Chris,
    Is that your daily carry setup? I gave Kevin a call and ordered the eagle defender in black with some brown aligator trim. He says he is up to eight weeks for turn around time. Good to see business is up, but I wish it only took 6 so I could have it for the advanced handgun class I am takin May 6-7. Oh well. Thanks for the pics.

Assistant Administrator
    Roc - yes that is daily carry - unchanged now for well over a year. Only exception might be - having 228 or 220 on board now and again and R9 is pocket or ankle BUG periodically.
    Chris - P95

OWB for a 229 is my call, its too thick for IWB carry. If you want the best, give Gary Brommeland a call, I have used many, and his is hands down, the best at keeping the butt of the gun tight to the body. I can run, and it dont move!
    Good luck

Comp-tac ctac for IWB and Milt Sparks I-BAK for OWB carry.

I love my 229 SAS. Ain't it great?

Picked a Bar-Sto barrel for mine last week and it made a big difference in accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity
    Comp-tac ctac for IWB and Milt Sparks I-BAK for OWB carry.

I love my 229 SAS. Ain't it great?

Picked a Bar-Sto barrel for mine last week and it made a big difference in accuracy.
    The Sig is very nice, can't wait to shoot it some more.

I have a hard time imagining the Bar-Sto would make it more accurate, as mine put a mags worth into a hole measuring about 1.5 inches at 5 yards. But if the Bar-Sto works that well, maybe I'll get one in .357 Sig for it as I have been wanting a gun in that caliber. Thanks.

For IWB may I suggest the Don Hume H715M. It's leather and retails for $19.48 at onpointfirearms.com I wear it and it conceals really well. The holster is well made from quality leather and onpointfirearms.com is the cheapest place I've found. I will admit that sitting in a car with it is uncomfortable but while walking around with it it hides great.

I have a Bar-Sto 357 Sig barrel in my standard 229 and man o man, that thing is a real tack driver. Every time I take it to the range people ask me about it when they see 1/2 groups at 15 yards. :)

I forgot to mention, on the SAS, I found it really difficult to shoot with the pretty wood grips that came on it. They are just too thick for me. I ended up putting a set of the standard Sig checkered plastic grips on it. They are a lot thinner.

whoops.. doubletap

VIP Member
    I carry my duty P229 in either a Galco OWB or a Ted Blocker LFI IWB holster....either one on-duty since my agency mandates use of a holster with a thumb break. Off-duty though, I've been know to carry my P229 in a C-TAC IWB which is a bit more comfortable than my LFI holster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links