SP 101 Holster Help

This is a discussion on SP 101 Holster Help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carring for about 2 months now in a DM Bullard IWB Tuckable. D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. Tuckable IWB for Ruger SP101 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP 101 Holster Help

SP 101 Holster Help

I have been carring for about 2 months now in a DM Bullard IWB Tuckable. D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. Tuckable IWB for Ruger SP101 3 1/16 Barrel RH

The only problem I am having is that the holster is pretty wide and often prints easily. I see they have some slimmer clips that will work with the holster. Should I do that or just buy bigger clothes?

2. Remove Ads

Bigger clothes, if you're like the rest of us, you are going to eventually need them anyway...
    A larger size shirt helps to cover the firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Bigger clothes, if you're like the rest of us, you are going to eventually need them anyway...
    A larger size shirt helps to cover the firearm.
    For this size revolver what do you think just +2" in pants size? I am right at 6' and weigh 225lbs.

Also do you think it would be possible to pocket carry with a pocket holster?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Thats a solid gun and may not be as comfortable in a pocket holster as some of the lightweight J frames. I carried a SP101 for a while and the best situation I came up with was a Milt Sparks summer special, (neutral cant) in the appendix carry position.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I had the same problem with my SP101 Bianchi IWB holster. I switched to a Ultrux IWB revolver holster by Hoffners. I can wear it with pretty small t-shirts, no printing. Got to have a goob belt though.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    For this size revolver what do you think just +2" in pants size? I am right at 6' and weigh 225lbs.
    Depends upon how you carry.
    I'm in 5.11 shorts most of the time, and I use an IWB/SOB (palm out) and it tuck right into my kidney. I do not have to 'up' the size of my pants.
    Pocket carry? This depends on what you're wearing...cargo pants, jeans, or dress pants? In my dress pants and 5.11's I can tuck a P-3AT, or a S&W 642 in a pocket holster pretty easily, but not in my jeans (too much pizza).

Ya' just gotta' try it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With an untucked shirt, I carry my SP101 in a Fobus Paddle Holster. I wear mine comfortably 10/12 hours a day. These are great holsters and very cost effective. Say's Me.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Depends upon how you carry.
    I'm in 5.11 shorts most of the time, and I use an IWB/SOB (palm out) and it tuck right into my kidney. I do not have to 'up' the size of my pants.
    Pocket carry? This depends on what you're wearing...cargo pants, jeans, or dress pants? In my dress pants and 5.11's I can tuck a P-3AT, or a S&W 642 in a pocket holster pretty easily, but not in my jeans (too much pizza).

Ya' just gotta' try it.
    +1. IWB/SOB tucked into kidney seems to not require an "up" in my pants/Levi's waist size to achieve "no print". If you worry about the print and your belt works and your comfortable with the pants waist, THEN go up one size on the cover garment.

Print and bumps on a body are not the same thing BTW. Every human being has "bumps" and they are not always in the same places on each individual (at least not enuff to make people point and yell "gun" or "gross!") . Bad attempt at humor there, but you see my point: Printing worries us more than the sheep.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

I worked on it last night and got a pair of dockers that were a size bigger. That made a huge difference. I tried the SOB carry, but I felt very uncomfortable with it and didn't like the time it took me to draw. The best seems to be IWB at about a 3 oclock position (just infront of my strong side hip. I can walk and move without printing. It was somewhat uncomfortable sitting at first but a little adjustment and I was good. Thanks for the replies and the info. I am going to try a few of the holsters mentioned in the future. Right now I have to save some money. (bought too many guns).

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    llred: I have gone through many holsters and finally came up with one that really works well with the SP-101. In fact, I believe it was on this forum that I saw a whole picture thread featuring this holster and the SP-101; you may want to do a search.

The holster is made by: AKJ Concealco LLC
    They have a very unique loop system that very effectively pulls the gun in very closely hugging your body and never printing. Many leather holsters have a steel clip mounted in the center, of all places (thickest part) and there is extra leather holding the clip in place (thicker yet). The Concealco is not like that. Check it out. I just ordered my second one, but, on the down side, they are impossible to communicate with.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Milt Sparks Summer Special, Rocketman's Low Rider (kydex) ofr this Simply Rugged:

This rides pretty high and I "got made" by a friend last night. I was seated, leaning forward and the butt (gun's) was poking out pretty obviously. Need to keep it at 3 o'clock! Shown w/ Beltman belt.

Welcome to our online store

Bob

I have been carring for about 2 months now in a DM Bullard IWB Tuckable. D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. Tuckable IWB for Ruger SP101 3 1/16 Barrel RH

The only problem I am having is that the holster is pretty wide and often prints easily. I see they have some slimmer clips that will work with the holster. Should I do that or just buy bigger clothes?
    I'm a David Bullard fan, but that design holster IS thick. ANY holster that has attachment point on the already thickest part of the whole arrangement is of course thicker than attachments off the middle of the gun.

Here's my SP101 in Bullard's Dual Carry...quite flat, conceals well, comfy.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    I'm a David Bullard fan, but that design holster IS thick. ANY holster that has attachment point on the already thickest part of the whole arrangement is of course thicker than attachments off the middle of the gun.

Here's my SP101 in Bullard's Dual Carry...quite flat, conceals well, comfy.

- OS
    is that one tuckable?

is that one tuckable?
    Yes. You put the clips on outside of the slots, like the way in my avatar. That's a Dual Carry also, although I was using kydex clips on it at the time instead of the metal ones.

Although I didn't buy it for tucking. I've never had any luck tucking much of anything. But it'll definitely be significantly flatter that yours.

I really don't see why anyone even buys a single centered attachment holster, as they can't help but be "thicker".

- OS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links