Defensive Carry banner

carry styles

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  zacii 
#1 ·
Is it true most people avoid ankle holsters and holsters above the pelvic
area because a lot of movies show gangs drawing concealed weapons from those two areas?

#2 ·
I've never heard of that. I've carried with a shoulder holster before very effectively. I figure percentage-wise some folks avoid those areas of carry simply because it may be more difficult to do, and not exactly the fastest methods of deployment. I don't think movies or gangs have anything to do with it.

#3 ·
IMHO, carrying a handgun in a ankle holster is fine for a BUG. The part that I & others have is how hard is trying to draw it from a standing position if you need your handgun. Seconds count! I carry my G26 in an ankle holster while I work. Until my smartcarry holster arrives my ankle holster will have to do for the time being.

Carrying in an ankle holster is better than not carrying at all. Until my smartcarry arrives it's my only alternative.

Again, ankle holsters are not the best way to go for a primary carry option. BUG, sure!

#4 ·
Forget about anything you have seen in a movie!

Concerning carry positions, I think about accessibility, concealability, and my daily activity. For most people, certainly not all, and in most situations, somewhere on the waist is usually going to be the best location. That is not to say that some one may not just simply prefer to carry in an ankle rig.

Remember this is a tool we are carrying. Put it where you can get at it if you need it. (And I will say that I hope you never NEED it.)

#5 · (Edited)
If memory serves me at all, I cannot remember seeing gang members using holsters, even in movies. But if were talking about movies, it usually takes one shot and the individual is dead in about 2.5 seconds...it doesn't work that way.

Forget the movies, and carry (in a holster) in a way that workd for YOU!

#6 ·
Most gang members do not use holsters at all.
Rarely in the movies do you ever see anybody drawing a firearm from an ankle holster.

Pretty much everybody that is a detective or LE wearing plain clothes either carries OWB at the waist or in an incorrectly configured shoulder holster.

#7 ·
Please define "an incorrectly configured shoulder holster".

#8 ·
Dunno. I just wouldn't carry in the ankle holster because I'm kind of a klutz, and if I'm running, or it's a question of how fast I can draw to save my life, trying to get a gun out of my ankle would be difficult and I'd probably land flat on my face.

#10 ·
I use an ankle holster occasionally. Generally I use my IWB at about 330-4 but there are days where it just feels to bulky or I'm not in the mood to deal with it being there and I will strap to the ol' ankle. Not a bad way to carry, just slower on the draw.

#11 ·
I've never carried around the ankle, it seem's kind of awkward, I usually carry in the pocket (Kahr PM-9) with an extra mag in the smaller watch pocket the smaller 7rd mag fits perfict, this only alowes me to carry 14rnds instead of 20 (two 10rd mags I live in California) but absolutley no one knows that im carrying, no accidental peekaboo from under my shirt when I carry on my belt and do a high reach for something at the store, and the draw from the pocket is verry fast, with practice.

#12 ·
I avoid an ankle holster because it's a slow draw. I do use one however for certain occasions or sometimes for my BUG.
Appendix carry just plain hurts when bending at the waist! :blink:

#15 ·
I carry mostly behind my right hip IWB or OWB. I also have carried ankle, pocket, SOB, crossdraw, and left handed shoulder holster. As well as a few oddball ways such as in an armsling and holster vest. So far the only one I do not like at all is SOB, but it might be the cheapo holster I got to try it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.