My flawed logic on Wilderness gun belt?

This is a discussion on My flawed logic on Wilderness gun belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I ordered my Original Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical I needed to decide between the 1.5 and 1.75" belt width. My old leather belt ...

Thread: My flawed logic on Wilderness gun belt?

My flawed logic on Wilderness gun belt?

When I ordered my Original Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical I needed to decide between the 1.5 and 1.75" belt width. My old leather belt from leatherer in Wyoming was 1.5 but the belt slots in my magazine pouch and OWB holster are 1.75". So I bought the 1.75" wide belt. It sounded perfectly logical to me and the belt fits through the loops of all of my pants, the buckle is a bit larger than my old one. I have contacted Supertuck on the holster I am awaiting the arrival of and they have told me that the standard steel clips on their holsters will fit, "Yes, just barely". Was my logic flawed in getting the larger width belt? Should I have just gotten the 1.5" or should it not be a problem? I would hate for it to be a problem since it was an investment in a product that is going to last for many years.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    When I ordered my Original Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical I needed to decide between the 1.5 and 1.75" belt width. My old leather belt from leatherer in Wyoming was 1.5 but the belt slots in my magazine pouch and OWB holster are 1.75". So I bought the 1.75" wide belt. It sounded perfectly logical to me and the belt fits through the loops of all of my pants, the buckle is a bit larger than my old one. I have contacted Supertuck on the holster I am awaiting the arrival of and they have told me that the standard steel clips on their holsters will fit, "Yes, just barely". Was my logic flawed in getting the larger width belt? Should I have just gotten the 1.5" or should it not be a problem? I would hate for it to be a problem since it was an investment in a product that is going to last for many years.
    I think that some of the best holster makers do not make their products for belts wider than 1.5." My pants will not accept a 1.75" belt.

However, if what you want is made in 1.75" then fine.

Regards,
    Jerry

1.5" belts have always worked for me. I don't see the need for the 1.75" and I'm certain it wouldn't work with some of my belt loops and most of my holsters. Sorry but I think your logic is indeed flawed.

I have teh frequent flyer belt in 1 3/4. I daily carry a Crossbread Supertuck with it, and it works just fine. The plastic snaps go over and clip just perfectly. You'll be just fine.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Well, as long as it works with my current magazine pouch, which it does, and my soon to arrive Supertuck, which it is supposed to, I guess I am good to go. Flawed logic and all. I tried to find the return policy to see if I had the option to exchange it but the only thing I could find is that there is no return on belts under or over a certain size.

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    Well, as long as it works with my current magazine pouch, which it does, and my soon to arrive Supertuck, which it is supposed to, I guess I am good to go. Flawed logic and all. I tried to find the return policy to see if I had the option to exchange it but the only thing I could find is that there is no return on belts under or over a certain size.
    I don't see any flaws in your logic. If your holster and mag pouch have a 1.75" loop (or loops or slots or clip or whatever) you should use a 1.75" belt. It will prevent up-and-down movement when you draw and holster. It will also prevent movement along the belt line. You want that gear to stay put.
    Most jeans have 1.75" belt loops. Some even have 2" loops. Your belt should just fit those loops. If it's too narrow it can move in the loops.
    Your entire carry setup (pants, belt, holster, mag pouches) should be chosen to be as stable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I don't see any flaws in your logic. If your holster and mag pouch have a 1.75" loop (or loops or slots or clip or whatever) you should use a 1.75" belt. It will prevent up-and-down movement when you draw and holster. It will also prevent movement along the belt line. You want that gear to stay put.
    Most jeans have 1.75" belt loops. Some even have 2" loops. Your belt should just fit those loops. If it's too narrow it can move in the loops.
    Your entire carry setup (pants, belt, holster, mag pouches) should be chosen to be as stable as possible.
    That was the other part of my logic. That if the slots are the same size as the belt the mag pouch or holster has less of a chance to tilt or move up and down. I know that the belt will more than likely lock the accessories to my body but it seemed right to me at the time. I cannot remember where I just read this but a site wrote that matching the slot size to your belt size created friction and wears out guns belts quicker. How much quicker I do not know, 10 years of use instead of 12? BTW thank you for the insight.
    Last edited by chains1240; June 4th, 2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: edited for content

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I use a 1.50 Instructor with a D.E.XIX and it works great. 1.5 belts are the standard.

Links