Concealed Carry Holster Survey

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Holster Survey within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me, too. Hope the replies prove to be a help, and best of luck....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Holster Survey

Me, too. Hope the replies prove to be a help, and best of luck.
    Steve

2. Remove Ads

Done hope it helps. Like some of the others I think the quality question needs an all of the above option.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Done. I'd love to see some samples as I'm in the market for a holster and matching mag carrier.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Done.. I hope it helps & if you need a tester for any of youre holster be sure to keep me in mind. :)

Done.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Filled out the survey.

For some reason, $50 - $60 is my magic number for a good holster, whether it's kydex or leather. I would expect a custom leather holster to be more expensive than kydex, but for some reason (based on my buying history) I'm not willing to spend more for leather. I only own one holster that I like and use that was less than $50, a cheap nylon hoster that is in my lockable center-console. The rest of my cheap ones just sit in a drawer. Basically, they were a waste of money, no matter how cheap they were. The ones I use regularly, all cost over $50 and were worth every penny.

Me too. Best of luck!
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    The quality of a good holster depends upon all the factors you listed in the survey. Looks are a given, stitching should be solid, double stitched and straight,
    the gun should fit with a solid click upon insertion and not move if turned upside down and shook. The entire trigger guard should be covered as this is where most of the retention comes from. One of my biggest bones is make something original! Don't make another copy of say a Sparks VMII as most come across as cheap ripoffs although there are a few good ones out there. Listen to and communicate with your customers and be realistic on delivery times. I think most would rather hear "I don't know" due to my workload then be given a different time estimate each week. I know and will pay $75 and up to a high of approx $150 if the work supports that. Good luck and I wish you success!

I did it for you and hope it helps, however, I carry both IWB and OWB. IWB in warm weather and OBW in cold and a jacket or coat is required.

Thank you all for participating,

The survey is still open, but I have to say that i'm overwhelmed so far at the level of responses i've gotten.

I understand the concerns of those that have mentioned how certain aspects require an "all of the above" or multiple choice answer. I am however trying to peek at the "top" reasons or primary concerns, even though we all know that the world isn't that easy a place. :)

For anyone who would like to participate. Here is the link again.

Holster Survey - Survey powered by eSurveysPro.com

My hat is off to the entire Defensivecarry community, your input is invaluable and your supportive words and well wishes more appreciated than you can imagine.

done...
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Sponsor
    Took the survey but I want to add some info here for you.
    I manufacture Kydex holsters but I love a quality leather holster.
    I EDC in Kydex and "dress up" with leather.
    For me leather is dress accessory. I am more likely to rate appearance higher in a leather rig than in Kydex even if it will be completely concealed.
    Weapon retention and safety(trigger completely covered) are #1 in any holster. Next for me would be comfort. Then ease of installation, for lack of a better term as my daily routine requires me to dis-arm fairly often.
    Knowing what goes into the making of a good holster and having a little experience with leather working, I am willing to spend a great deal more on a good looking well made leather rig than I would on a quality Kydex holster that better suits my needs.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Just responded myself and agree the quality question is all of the above. Also agree with the above poster to avoid just copying someone else's designs. While I'm not a leather worker I am a professional craftsman and know good work when I see it. So often I watch people on the internet forums raving about work that I'd be embarrassed to put my own name on or would be ashamed of stealing another's ideas.

Quality and good ideas sell and establish a craftsman with the people who will keep him in business in the long run.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Done. Glad to help.
    "No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

I can't make holsters but love to marvel at others' work. I spend more time in the holster area than the gun areas of this site. I usually carry Kydex because I can get great holsters (tension adjusts to my needs, indestructible) at good prices much more quickly than leather. I'm shopping for a certain holster that will probably have to be leather, but won't commit to a wait time measured in months or years and/or the prices that are out there at the moment. So, like everybody, decent quality in the features you need, expecting to pay a bit less that what is out there now, with faster delivery. The problem is the usual consumer problem, as stated by one holster maker:
    Good. Fast. Cheap. You can pick any two.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links