Defensive Carry banner

Concealed Carry Holster Survey

4K views 39 replies 37 participants last post by  Jmac00 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've been a holstermaker mostly as an incomebringing hobby for the last 5 years. But recently i've done some trials with selling on a larger scale and gotten some very positive responses.

I now have a very simple survey for handgun owners about holster preferences. The survey is 10 questions long and should take about 3 minutes to complete.

I would appreciate any input that you could give on the matter.

Thank you,

Csi

Holster Survey - Survey powered by eSurveysPro.com

#2 ·
I tried to respond to your survey but I couldn't... too much depends on the gun. But I will try to explain here for you.

I don't like Kydex against my skin so I prefer a leather or combination. I also don't like Kydex on my metal guns, so it is all leather for them and combo for th e Glock.

Expensive is relative but for I consider Milt Sparks and the Mtac appropriately priced for their respective quality and materials.

Lastly I am more likely to carry pistols IWB and revolvers OWB.

#7 ·
I completed the survey, but wish the quality question could have been answered all of the above.

I am willing to pay in excess of $100 for a leather holster, but it must have all the characteristics of question 6, and the quality just needs to jump out at you. I won't pay $20 for a holster with poor stitching, finish, design, gun retention, and good looks. Holsters by Nossar, Brommeland are great examples of what I want, as are Sparks, Del Fatti, and Alessi.

I recently tried a mag carrier by a maker that receives raves on one forum. I sent the first one back, and the replacement will work, but I would not have purchased it if I had known how amateurish his work is. He has only been making holsters three years, but I wonder if he will ever develop into an excellent craftsman. I don't think so as long as his work is rated so high by a loyal following.

Look at a mag carrier by Brommeland and the quality is evident. I admit it is expensive.

I do realize that no one starts out as a master craftsman, and there are those who will buy decent if not great work. But today there are some great craftsmen, such as those I have mentioned, and I see no reason to buy anything but holsters and belts that are pleasing to own. I have not seen the work of some who are highly thought of, such as Eric at HBE, but of those whom I have seen only the above mentioned stand out.

I hope this has helped, and I do not think we do a maker a favor by praising his work when it is not top notch. If he does not know how can he improve?
I also know that some buying a first holster have not seen a really good holster, and so praise mediocre work. That is why some of us have a drawer full of holsters we no longer use.

Regards,
Jerry

#8 ·
I really appreciate your answers.

Of course no survey will cover the complexities of real life. So I am just trying to get as close as i can here.

Pictures will be available shortly, I'll come back and post a link when the website is up.

As far as Jerry's remarks on quality and craftsmanship, I'm not going to make remarks about any one in particular, but i agree that there are plenty of iffy "craftsmen" out there. Not to mention the copious amounts of people who claim that just because they feed a holster into a machine by hand it's "handmade".

And I wish it was only a drawer... :)

I'll repost the link to the survey here, any input is quite litterally invaluable to me.

#15 ·
Done hope this helps and we some of your work soon,
But the quality question needs to be answeared with more then one answear.
But hey good luck and hope you prosper from your new endevor.

#21 ·
Filled out the survey.

For some reason, $50 - $60 is my magic number for a good holster, whether it's kydex or leather. I would expect a custom leather holster to be more expensive than kydex, but for some reason (based on my buying history) I'm not willing to spend more for leather. I only own one holster that I like and use that was less than $50, a cheap nylon hoster that is in my lockable center-console. The rest of my cheap ones just sit in a drawer. Basically, they were a waste of money, no matter how cheap they were. The ones I use regularly, all cost over $50 and were worth every penny.

#23 ·
The quality of a good holster depends upon all the factors you listed in the survey. Looks are a given, stitching should be solid, double stitched and straight,
the gun should fit with a solid click upon insertion and not move if turned upside down and shook. The entire trigger guard should be covered as this is where most of the retention comes from. One of my biggest bones is make something original! Don't make another copy of say a Sparks VMII as most come across as cheap ripoffs although there are a few good ones out there. Listen to and communicate with your customers and be realistic on delivery times. I think most would rather hear "I don't know" due to my workload then be given a different time estimate each week. I know and will pay $75 and up to a high of approx $150 if the work supports that. Good luck and I wish you success!

#25 ·
Thank you all for participating,

The survey is still open, but I have to say that i'm overwhelmed so far at the level of responses i've gotten.

I understand the concerns of those that have mentioned how certain aspects require an "all of the above" or multiple choice answer. I am however trying to peek at the "top" reasons or primary concerns, even though we all know that the world isn't that easy a place. :)

For anyone who would like to participate. Here is the link again.

My hat is off to the entire Defensivecarry community, your input is invaluable and your supportive words and well wishes more appreciated than you can imagine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.