Another Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters review!

Another Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters review!

This is a discussion on Another Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters review! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On May 18th I placed my order with Brock at Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters for a "Mason Dixon EC" holster for my 1911. It arrived at ...

Thread: Another Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters review!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Thumbs up Another Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters review!

On May 18th I placed my order with Brock at Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters for a "Mason Dixon EC" holster for my 1911. It arrived at my door on Wednesday, June 3rd, just about exactly the 14 days stated as their "goal" for delivery.

I carried my 1911 in my "Mason Dixon EC" today. I decided to change from my usual XD45acp IWB carry in a CompTac Mtac Minotaur and carried my Springfield 1911 OWB with this new holster. It can be worn either way and the necessary clips and hardware is included to use as an IWB holster. It is built much like the design of the Mtac only a lot better in my opinion. However, on this Bluegrass Holster I opted for the horsehide inner sweat shield and the horse hide does add a lot of stiffness. My Mtac does not have an inner layer sweat shield but is two layers of leather in thickness. It is a very comfortable IWB holster so I am not knocking the Mtac one bit. It is a keeper and will remain in use.

At first the Mason Dixon was very uncomfortable but just for about three hours. After that it suddenly seemed to just loosen up and actually became very comfortable. The initial discomfort was eliminated due to actually wearing the holster while bending, kneeling and general movements of a normal day at work.

One problem I noticed was that changing from IWB to OWB puts a lot more responsibility on the belt to support the gun. Gun belts definitely do their job in the support department. Since I am still waiting on my new BGH gun belt I had to use just a plain old thin work belt. It just doesn't support the weight like is needed. Again, this is why they make gun belts!

The retention of the kydex is very tight at first. I loosened the retention screws and after a couple hours one screw fell out. I didn't lose it and just put it back in and tightened it down. I assume that the retention will loosen on its own after the leather has moulded itself to the shape of the gun. When I got home, I put a small dab of blue thread locker on the retentions screws and set them to a very snug fit. I want good retention but not as much as I had initially.

The ride of this holster is high and that is what I wanted. The pistol butt rides just under my last rib up along my right side and nice and tight to the body.

Since I have been carrying IWB with an extreme forward cant I have been fiddling with my BGH holster all day to try to adjust it for more cant. I was not able to get any more cant out of it but I suspect it is actually right about where it should be for OWB carry. I feel I will eventually get used to it the way it is. Even with the "EC" model I feel a little more cant may be desired from some customers. The website states the "Mason Dixon EC" model has 15* forward cant.

Once it loosened up a bit more it tended to droop and needed some occasional "adjustment". A good gun belt (man, that's pretty important isn't it? ) will cure most, if not all, of the tendency to droop after a few hours.

Overall I am very pleased with this holster as to quality of components and workmanship. I think this is one that will just get better with time!

I have an upcoming pistol shoot (NRA Action Pistol) and will be using my 1911 in this holster. I will update as to its performance afterwards.

I suspect I will be ordering another of these for my XD45acp and will be a dedicated OWB holster for that gun.

The Bluegrass Holsters come highly recommended from me!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You are right a gun belt is real important.
    Do you have any pictures of your Mason Dixon EC Hybrid you can post?
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your Mason Dixon EC Hybrid you can post?
    No I dont. I don't have a camera any more. I am going to either borrow one or have someone take some pics for me particularly at the pistol shoot competition so I can get some "action" photos.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

VIP Member
    WHAT? NO PICTURES?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    WHAT? NO PICTURES?
    I can't afford one! Been buying ammo, guns and holsters

Heres some pics of the Welcome to Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters This is the mason Dixon model. It can be worn either IWB or OWB.

How thick is the leather on the holster?

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    How thick is the leather on the holster?
    My holster has two layers, one of which is horsehide. They are blended so well I can barely see the seam. My trusty dial calipers measure the two layers at a thickness total of .316" thick.

Sponsored Links