Need a j frame holster.

Need a j frame holster.

This is a discussion on Need a j frame holster. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I have a problem...I bought a j frame holster years ago,and never cared for it.It is a "high ride" and it doesn't work for ...

Need a j frame holster.

Ok I have a problem...I bought a j frame holster years ago,and never cared for it.It is a "high ride" and it doesn't work for me.I guess I'm too fat,but the gun sticks out too much.So my question is,who makes a "low ride" j frame holster.also it can't have a trumb break.I prefer leather,but kydex is ok too...I am a lefty,so some kydex isn't available....any opinions??thanks
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

1943 - 2009
    TonyB,

Look around on the DeSantis web site. Their Speed Scabbards are pretty good for J frames.

http://www.desantisholster.com/

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    Could be worth phoning some of our experts Tony - and see what they can suggest.

I have a very good belt slide made by Kevin of K&D, patterned in fact after an old Jim Burke example. It is I guess somewhat hi-ride so you'd need to see if a lower riding version was possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I think most will be high ride style, as it lends itself better for concealment.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

J Frame Holsters

You might want to give Bell Charter Oak a try. Go to www.BellCharterOakHolsters.com I have bought several holsters from the for both my S&W M60 and a Colt Agent. They do good work at fair prices.

Try Kdholsters.com he's really good about making holsters for lefty's Im a lefty and he made me one with out a hassle and no longer than his Regular turn around time

I have both the pocket and IWB ultra-cheapie Uncle Mike's for my 637. They both work exceptionally well. I was surprised how well, concidering I spent less than $30 for both of them. I use the IWB extensivly while mountainbiking, and it does wuite well with lightweight shorts with no heavy belt, just a very thin fabric belt that's part of the pants. A couple Speed Strips in the pockets, I'm good to go. I use the pocket holster in a parka pocket when skiing and forget the gun's there.

I second the advice to contact our resident experts, they'd be best able to offer suggestions that could overcome any problems you might be having.

Unless I'm mistaken, a few makers have developed holsters for women that overcome the "hourglass hips" problem by lowering the ride height, many men also swear those same designs are more comfortable. Milt Sparks' PMK comes immediately to mind and I know Matt Del Fatti has designs that take that problem into account (unfortunately I don't recall the model names).
    Just something to consider. I'd thought about ordering a PMK for my own J-frame but decided to order from HBE because Eric offers far more custom options - including ride height!
    Jack

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Look around...everyone makes J frame holsters....its like finding something for a Glock or a 1911. You have too many choices out there. See what fits YOUR bill and go from there.
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I think most will be high ride style, as it lends itself better for concealment.
    I disagree. The high ride does give the bottom of the holster better concealment, but high ride holsters tend to want to torque out from the body. A lower riding holster doesn't do that and lays closer to the body.

Jerry

Assistant Administrator
    Jerry - I think much has to do here with exact design of the hi-ride and - body shape, oh and belt too of course.

I can say that neither my SP rig or my currently in use Eagle Defender show any torque out effects at all. My grips and mag base are all the time contacting my body, lower ribs area.

Won't post the pic yet again but rear view of my 226 shows how tight in it holds - sure suits me
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have an Uncle Mike's sidekick for mine since I don't plan to carry it very often. It is comfortable and inexpensive. Of course it won't last like leather, but it works.

I tell ya what... I carry a 637 in a fobus. It is a great holster. It is lightweight, tuff and sweat proof. The J frame is already a light weapon and the Fobus fits it well. 20.00. I have been armed while, changing brakes on my car, walking, shopping with the wife and no one knows I am armed, and it never prints.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links