gun belts...thick leather or other?

This is a discussion on gun belts...thick leather or other? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always have thought that thick leather was the "ticket" for gun holsters but, Why are all these high up people that are training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun belts...thick leather or other?

gun belts...thick leather or other?

I have always have thought that thick leather was the "ticket" for gun holsters but, Why are all these high up people that are training instructors and they are wearing "nylon type" instructor belts. What is better.
    Everybody is born right handed,
    But only the gifted have learned to overcome it!

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Because Instructor belts are "tacti-cool."

They have an image to maintain, ya know...

Gun belts should be leather, double thick.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad4me View Post
    I have always have thought that thick leather was the "ticket" for gun holsters but, Why are all these high up people that are training instructors and they are wearing "nylon type" instructor belts. What is better.
    Instructor belts.

I have a five stitch wilderness instructor belt and a 1.5" beltman in bullhide. The beltman gets used for everyday and the wilderness only when I'm hiking, getting soaked, crawling in the mud, etc. It's slow to get off easily (since you have to thread it through the buckle) if you should hear the call of er nature.

They both have their place but since buying the beltman some months back the wilderness just hangs in the closet.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

kpw
    Own both and use both. I do like instructor belts for work, training or anytime I'm going to get wet or dirty. Comfort is the same and leather is much prettier. So it depends on what I'm doing and what I'm wearing.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    I’ve often wondered that same thing. Admittedly, the top-end wilderness belt is impressive, much in the same way the military General’s Belt is too! I tend to believe the “instructors’ belt” serves as a signature. As such, it’s a dead give-away to LEO’s and other CC folks in public.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

The instructors belts are great and can take a beating that leather cannot and still maintain an attractive appearance. Dual-layer leather belts are a dressy alternative for such a belt when carrying concealed. Having a more standard (culturally speaking) looking belt can help in concealing one's status as a CCW. I wear leather because more people around me do the same.

kpw
    Are ya'll really checking out guy's belts that often?

The only time anyone can see my belt is if I unbutton my cover shirt or leave a jacket open. I might feel a bit uncomfortable if I noticed a guy staring down in that direction.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Own both and use both. I do like instructor belts for work, training or anytime I'm going to get wet or dirty. Comfort is the same and leather is much prettier. So it depends on what I'm doing and what I'm wearing.
    +1 - Agree 100%
    EDC: Glock 30 IWB Tucker Gunleather - Silent Thunder
    Ruger LCP - BUG in front or back pocket

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!"

Well if your looking to find "new" and improved kind of things and you want to buy the "right thing" the first time because if you don't you are stuck with the crappy stuff do to money issues, you tend to look around. Especially if the people that you are suppose to look up to as far as the gun training field is wearing it...
    Everybody is born right handed,
    But only the gifted have learned to overcome it!

I love leather - but - instructor belts are fantastic. I wear them (instructor belts) hiking and during most training sessions.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I own Wilderness 5 Stitch, leather and Shark belts. Of the three the shark will take the worst beating and come up looking like new without a scratch or blemish on it. A good leather or shark belt of say 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick will also do a better job of carrying a heavy handgun without having to be readjusted like the Wilderness sometimes does. Although not necesssary I spec all my leather/shark belts with a kevlar liner, again it just makes it easier to carry a loaded Govt 1911 weighing close to 3 pounds and two extra loaded mags. Comfort and concealment is the name of the game!!

Yeah the instructor belts make concealed carriers a bit too obvious. When Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels decided to put undercover LEOs in the clubs downtown, he should have asked them to shop at Banana Republic instead of 511. You could spot them instantly with their 511 polo and instructor belt and their jackets that had the 511 logo on the zipper.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Wink Hmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Because Instructor belts are "tacti-cool."

They have an image to maintain, ya know...

Gun belts should be leather, double thick.
    I prefer leather gunbelts to hold up my guns and my pants even when I'm not carrying.

I agree with Cap'n Crunch. I have an Instructor Belt which are a takeoff on the old A7 straps used first by the USAF as belts and later by army personnel who got the idea from being on USAF transports....

Those old A7 straps (used to secure gear in cargo) were extremely comfortable. But the Instructor Belt is stiffened with nylon thread at five separate points and if ya got the love handle issues like me (well okay, mine are now Lifting Bars) it can get real uncomfortable. As soon as I get my gastric bypass surgery in a few weeks, maybe I'll try my instructor belt again.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I've got both and they both have their place. I think thick leather is my favorite but I must have the Instructor Belt when stylin' in my 5.11s!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links