Double mag carrier?

This is a discussion on Double mag carrier? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Naw, I'm not asking if I should carry two extra mags, too late for that question. I kind of like the idea of having 40 ...

Thread: Double mag carrier?

Double mag carrier?

Naw, I'm not asking if I should carry two extra mags, too late for that question.

I kind of like the idea of having 40 rounds ready to go, personally. (13 + 13 + 13 + 1 in the tube, Glock 23 .40 S&W) And as I suspected, the extra weight on the left helps balance the weight of the gun on the right. At least, it feels that way to me.

What I was wondering was, am I alone in liking the Fobus double magazine carrier? I know the Fobus holster is popular with some, and very unpopular with others, but I do like they way the get a pretty darned good grip on the magazine without making you wrestle for them when you need them.

I'd carried the Fobus single mag carrier for a short while and when i bought my third magazine, I switched to their double carrier. I do find either one quite comfortable to wear, easy to put on, and just a little difficult to take off. I mean, doing so without removing the belt.

Anyone else like them, or am I the only one? Now, if you're going to tell me I need to switch to leather, keep in mind I just took your advice about getting a good leather belt and holster!

Does a leather mag carrier offer any real advantage? Or would it just match the belt and holster (that no one will ever see) so much better?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

2. Remove Ads

IT and the Uncle Mikes where the first two approved by my department, other than leather,, for what they are they work well

I just had KDholsters make me one i dont like Fobus

I just had KDholsters make me one i dont like Fobus.
    OK, but is it the brand or the actual mag carrier you don't like? I'm really curious! I've no problem placing another order with K&D, none at all.

I looked at the double mag carrier on Kevin's web site. I saw that it looks like the mags in that carrier were placed in there with one facing one way, the other facing the opposite.

I keep mine both facing the same way, so when I draw a fresh mag, my index finger is along side the front of the magazine, for an easy reload.

I guess those mags were just placed in the carrier for the picture. With the top edge of the carrier coming to something of a "peak" in the center, the mags may have been placed like they were by a photographer, to maintain the visual "balance" of the picture.

Guess I could email Kevin about that, but then I'd have to sell, hide, or otherwise get rid of the double carrier I just bought! (Wife might KILL me.)

Looks like the double mag carrier from Kevin would only cost about $5 more than the plastic one I just bought! Hmmmmmm. . . . If I'd realized that, I'd have ordered one from Kevin.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I am now a big fan of Comp-Tac. I have a C.T.A.C. slide for my GLOCK 26 and a single mag pouch. They are a little more expensive than Fobus, but I think quality and innovation is higher.

www.comp-tac.com

I guess I'm just old fashioned. All of my holsters (a small collection, mind you) are leather, as are my mag carriers. I just like leather - the tactile sensation, the smell, the luster, the durability, and last but not least, leather is very comfortable on me in this dang Texas heat!

Assistant Administrator
    I prefer leather and now have a single Galco clip on I bought from '75scout - very nice.

I have tho got and used both Fobus and Uncle Mikes - both work OK but the Fobus only really sees use for IDPA - I do not find it at all comfortable tho. The Uncle Mikes is fine but the flaps are a bit irritating.

As ever, it is how well something feels on the individual but overall I daresay leather has to come out tops.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Tried the Fobus and the UM's and gave up on both. Now I carry a leather one by Mitch Rosen which is the most comfortable mag pouch for concealment that I have ever worn on a belt. I also use his SOS or single mag and flashlight combo.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    I don't use Fobus equipment; I mostly use Desantis and/or Galco leather to include a Galco double mag pouch. I only use that pouch though during warrant executions. I always carry at least one spare mag and that goes in a Desantis clip-on pouch. Among my co-case agents and/or peers, I'm one of the few agents that carries a flashlight on a day-to-day basis.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

los
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ....I prefer leather and now have a single Galco clip on..
    Big +1. Except that mine is a Milt Sparks S-4C w/ snap loop.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Links