Leather Holster

Leather Holster

This is a discussion on Leather Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a New leather holster from local store it fits my Springfield 1911 as snug as a bug . But how do you break in ...

Thread: Leather Holster

Leather Holster

Got a New leather holster from local store it fits my Springfield 1911 as snug as a bug . But how do you break in a leather holster my other holster was a serpa of course very smooth draw , this one I have to pull or tug hard out. thought about mink oil im leaving gun in holster in my safe to break in , but does anyone have suggestions?
    Thanks
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I am no expert, but here is my advice - for what it is worth!

Do not use mink oil, it will make your holster too soft and floppy. Not a good thing for a holster, especially if you want to be able to re-holster easily.

Try wrapping your gun in a large ziploc freezer bag, then place it in the holster for 24 hours. It will add just a tiny bit of space. If it does not provide enough room, put two bags on your gun and leave it again.

Lastly, after you have used 2 bags to stretch the holster, just wear it around for a week or two. Your body heat and moisture will probably get you where the holster will still hold the gun firmly, but allow you to draw.

Pretty soon you will have a well fit holster.

Good luck.

1943 - 2009
    A better alternative to a zip-lock plastic bag is wax paper.

Wrap the pistol in one layer, seat it in the holster, let sit overnight. If it's still too tight, try two layers, but one is usually sufficient.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks will try both ..will raid the wifes kitchen while she's a sleep..lol
    Me thinks she keeps those under the sink.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Wax paper is a great idea. I would try that first. I will try it on my new Kramer for the G36.

VIP Member
    I just got a new custom holster and I have never had a holster so tight! I actually though it was the wrong holster but after an e-mail to the maker, I was assured it was correct. He said to use wax paper as previously described. It works very well. I did have to go to two layers but now all I need to do is a few dozen practice draws while wearing it to finish the break in.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

All of these options are viable. But it will depend on the holster.

1. is it raw side in? out, or a combination (dual direction pancake)

If you have the raw side in or combination, a series of practise draws will start slicking the inside of the holster. This is actually preferable to the stretching motion simply because once you've stretched it, drawing and holstering your gun will still slick it, and then you end up with a loose fit.

If your holster is finished side in (raw side out, or the above doesn't work ) you might have to consider a gentle wetting of the leather with lukewarm water and a sponge from both inside and out, let sit until it appears dry by feels sligthly moist, then holster the weapon.

After you've placed the gun in the holster, leave it for about 1 minute, take it out, wipe off any excess moisture, reholster and do it again three or four times until you see no more water on the gun, then holster and let sit at about 70-75 degrees for 12 hours. (A normal Air conditioned room is perfect, don't let dry in the sun or outside since the combination of heat and higher moisture will lengthen the process.

When done, take the gun out and do a complete fieldstrip/Clean.

I don't normally suggest the extra layers of waxpaper or other materials as the first step on my holsters. once you stretch the leather, you have a much harder time reshaping it to a tight fit again if you get it too loose, and you risk changing the exterior of the gun to the extent where the retention achieved through the molding is lost.

You should always start with the LEAST amount of change and progressively move up from there.

Never ever use Minkoil or any other liquid that is supposed to soften the leather, when a holster is made care is (should be) taken to remove much of the natural oils of the holster and stiffen it up. Adding any kind of oil will render you with a floppy and limp holster that will almost certainly collapse on you.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links