Kydex or leather, or both?

This is a discussion on Kydex or leather, or both? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I'm lookin for a holster for my HK USPc .40 and I am contemplating the crossbreed supertuck - another low cost option to ...

Thread: Kydex or leather, or both?

Kydex or leather, or both?

Hello all. I'm lookin for a holster for my HK USPc .40 and I am contemplating the crossbreed supertuck - another low cost option to at least get me started would be a galco leather holster (iwb) sold locally. Might even get both - anyhow I'm wondering what you all think about kydex vs. leather holsters - does the kydex harm the finish on the gun? easy to draw from? how about fit? (both for the gun and on the body/comfort? Thanks!

-MtflyerHK

-For what its worth I plan on starting out with a decent IWB holster and eventually getting an OWB rig too. I think I'll plan on primarily IWB though.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtflyerHK View Post
    Hello all. I'm lookin for a holster for my HK USPc .40 and I am contemplating the crossbreed supertuck - another low cost option to at least get me started would be a galco leather holster (iwb) sold locally. Might even get both - anyhow I'm wondering what you all think about kydex vs. leather holsters - does the kydex harm the finish on the gun? easy to draw from? how about fit? (both for the gun and on the body/comfort? Thanks!

-MtflyerHK

-For what its worth I plan on starting out with a decent IWB holster and eventually getting an OWB rig too. I think I'll plan on primarily IWB though.
    personally,

I prefer an OSB paddle holster with a locking feature but also with quick release. Fobus makes a holster for a almost all pistols.
    They are very Strong polymer plastic.

I don't know how may times I have lost my cell phone using a poorly fitted leather case. The same is true for most defensive carry weapons.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have found leather IWB holsters to be far more comfortable when worn for long periods of time, but either leather or kydex can work.

Kydex being a more abrasive surface can cause a little more wear, but any extended holster use is going to show SOME wear, I wouldn't worry about it.

You can find great holsters in either leather, or kydex, and even holsters made of both...

A quality holster will be 'boned', or made to fit a particular gun. This ensures that the fit and draw will be exact and smooth, but still have excellent retention qualities.
    Using a quality 'boned' holster, I once tripped and fell down a set of bleachers at a rodeo (another story) and the gun stayed secured.

Look through this site...

HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Ghost Hybrid IWB?

Try these out. Mix of leather and kydex at a good price!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    The Ghost Hybrid IWB?

Try these out. Mix of leather and kydex at a good price!
    +1000. I have one of the Mason Dixon Hybrids. By far the most comfortable holster I have for my XDM. It looks, feels, & wears better than the Supertuck & MTAC & is cheaper priced also. Plus you have the option to change shells or backs depending on rye gun your wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have found leather IWB holsters to be far more comfortable when worn for long periods of time, but either leather or kydex can work.

Kydex being a more abrasive surface can cause a little more wear, but any extended holster use is going to show SOME wear, I wouldn't worry about it.
    HOLSTERS
    I've had both Kydex and Leather. The leather seemed to wear the surface a little faster. Could have been the gun/holster combination or fit but I've had better luck with Kydex.

Administrator
    Well, honest holster wear just goes with the territory for a daily carry firearm.
    Especially if you intend to practice with it a lot as you should.

So really, what is the difference if the finish wears in 2 months or 6 months as VS a year?
    Holster wear is going to eventually happen with either Kydex or leather.

Also...if you are going to carry with an untucked shirt then I would pick a good quality leather OWB rig first.
    Select one that cants the firearm forward and try a carry location at 3:30 behind the hip.
    If that does not work out for you for some reason then move to a good IWB.
    I think you'll find that to be more comfortable especially in summer.
    Just my personal opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

As a general rule, kydex holsters are marginally faster on the draw, wear your finish at the high points noticeably faster, and some folks find them less comfortable, especially for IWB carry.

Leather holsters are more durable, can be more comfortable, and tend to wear your finish more evenly than kydex. For many people, a higher-end custom leather holster also has the benefits of pride of ownership and appearance, though these really have nothing to do with the functionality of the holster.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

Crossbreed, IMHO, makes the best hybrid out there. I have two, one for my Glock 21SF, and one for my RIA 1911 Officer. For these two, I prefer the hybrid, but I am currently waiting for a leather holster from Bulman for my Sig 1911 Platinum Elite. The Kydex, I believe, will wear on the nice stainless finish too much, with the leather being a little more forgiving. On the hybrid topic, I can't even tell I'm wearing.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Really I prefer leather...but Im kinda biased. :D
    I love certain Kydex holsters I have...but most are OWB. Some people carry with IWB kydex holsters and love them...so its kinda a personal thing for most people.
    Shoot well
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I like my Mtac by CompTac. It is a hybrid, with a leather panel against the body and kydex outer shell. Very comfy, very secure, easy draw & reholster and YOU WILL NOT WAIT MONTHS AND MONTHS for it.

Here's the holster I'm currently using for my XD9. It's worn outside the belt but holds close to the body like a pancake type leather holster and so conceals better than most Kydex holsters I have tried. It's a hybrid.
    Outside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur Gladiator Holster

I find Leather to be better for me just more comfortable and to me seems to be less abrasive to finishes then kydex, kydex does seem to be faster to draw with. I suggest trying different holster and positions to determine what you want before you buy, I found I hate holster with a FBI cant,that's me other love them,so it's all individual preferences that are determined by the wearer and only you can make those decision,we can only help with things we learned and pass on!I personally like a leather cross draw at 11 0clock, but then again I do have some injuries that make this type setup work best for me.I live in Fl so find IWB a little to hot and I didnt want the added expense of having to go out and buy all new pants 2 sizes bigger besides the cost of a good holster,belt and mag holster!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Gotta agree with Sass... there are a lot of Crossbreed evangelists here, but I really like my MTAC, and very quick turnaround. Nothing against Crossbreed, I just landed on MTAC because of another Sig shooter's recommendation....

And if holster wear is a consideration, nothing out there is kinder to your finish than a SmartCarry...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Links