I tried out a Smartcarry.

This is a discussion on I tried out a Smartcarry. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been using a Smartcarry for about two years now, with a Glock 19 and a 26. I love this holster! I can carry the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I tried out a Smartcarry.

I've been using a Smartcarry for about two years now, with a Glock 19 and a 26. I love this holster! I can carry the same gun, in the same way, no matter what I am wearing - business suit or bathing suit, it still works.

I wear it low and over at the 11:00 position. The bottom of the pistol's grip is centered on the zipper. There is a natural fold there on men's trousers, so no one has ever noticed any printing from the bottom of the grip. When you sit, the gun lays on top of your thigh. Very comfortable! By shifting the gun over to the side, going to the restroom is even easier.

If you still worry about any printing, try dark-colored pleated pants.

As far as the trigger goes - I simply cut a piece of sheet plastic and inserted it into the gun pouch. Keeps anything from possibly getting to the trigger (which is not really an issue with the Glock safety trigger anyway - but I wanted to be "extra safe" since my son likes to jump on me and wrassle around). I would absolutely recommend this for those of you with a Kahr, which lacks a safety trigger.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I
    As far as the trigger goes - I simply cut a piece of sheet plastic and inserted it into the gun pouch. Keeps anything from possibly getting to the trigger
    I'm dense and cannot picture this... how/where did you insert a piece of sheet plastic? What is sheet plastic?

Senior Moderator
    I do not see how something can pull the trigger in my SmartCarry
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    I'm dense and cannot picture this... how/where did you insert a piece of sheet plastic? What is sheet plastic?
    Plain flat piece of plastic. You can get sheet polystyrene at hobby stores, or you can cut a piece of a gallon milk jug, or a piece of a plastic 3-ring binder - whatever.

Just insert it in the gun pouch of the Smartcarry, between the gun and the front of the pouch. Helps make absolutely sure nothing can get to the trigger.

Note - I tried to get the trigger of my (triple-checked unloaded) Glock to fire while in the Smartcarry - impossible. While you could just possibly catch the edge of the trigger through the fabric, the Glock trigger safety keeps the trigger from getting pulled. A Kahr, on the other hand, does not have a trigger safety, and thus could possibly get pulled somehow if the edge of the trigger caught on something through the fabric (unlikely, but possible in theory).

I just did it as an extra level of safety. I do check the plastic before I holster my Glock every morning to ensure it has not cracked - would hate to have it catch the trigger while holstering...and always a good idea to ensure your holster is free of foreign matter before holstering anyway.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Those who are getting poked by 1911 hammers or the beavertail may want to try shifting the Smartcarry lower.

Of course, using a Glock or XD (or similar) striker-fired pistol eliminates this issue, and also reduces the chance of snagging clothing during the draw stroke. Fewer pointy bits are generally better for concealed carry, in my considered opinion.
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I try to not post to EVERY SmartCarry thread, but I'm a believer... full size Sig P220 in my pants with no printing issues...

I also wear it outside the pants with an untucked Hawaiian shirt... carefully remove the tag, and the bottom in shows under the shirt.... looks like a denim fanny pack...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

My question is how easy is it to draw from?
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

VIP Member
    I'm always amused that the people with the most objections about a SmartCarry are those who have never used one!

It's a deep concealment holster... of course there are going to be some issues like a slower draw and yes you might have to go pee in a stall instead of a urinal and properly worn it doesn't point at your boys... but if you need to have absolute concealment, it works very well. That's what it's designed for.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I also wear it outside the pants with an untucked Hawaiian shirt...
    Potential retention issues, I would think, if worn this way. If you end up on the ground in a struggle, you and your firearm might part company. Probably best to, ahem, "keep it in your pants" as originally intended.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    My question is how easy is it to draw from?
    Very easy. If you can get your hand into your belt line, you can draw. If you wear your shirt tucked in behind the holster, there is no need to untuck or sweep away any covering garment. By keeping the gun in front of you, there is no need to reach back to the hip - that minimizes hand movement and speeds up the draw.

I have found that you can also draw one handed (very important), and you can draw with your support hand as well (I can turn my left hand palm outwards, insert into belt line, and draw). This is important if one of your hands is injured or busy fending off an attack. This is also one reason I prefer the Smartcarry to my previous pocket-carry method.

Drawing while seated does require you to pop up out of the seat a bit, like you would do to get your wallet while seated.

Overall, it is the best holster I've found. It also does not require you to buy a whole new wardrobe of pants that are sized larger - saves you money that way.
    CT Lasers

Using a Smart Carry is just not something I can picture. My pants are probably too snug for me to visualize it working for me.
    I picture a questionable individual causing me to unzip my pants to get to my gun only to have an undercover cop arrest me for 'attempted exposure'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Using a Smart Carry is just not something I can picture. My pants are probably too snug for me to visualize it working for me.
    I picture a questionable individual causing me to unzip my pants to get to my gun only to have an undercover cop arrest me for 'attempted exposure'...
    You don't need to unzip your pants to get to your gun.

Charlie has a money-back guarantee. Try it. If you don't like it, you get your money back. You cannot ask for more.
    CT Lasers

tag
    I have a smart carry (small or med I can't remember which) and my Makarov fits in nicely and the smart carry fully covers the trigger.

I'm wondering if your trigger is exposed you might need the larger size smart carry.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    I'm wondering if your trigger is exposed you might need the larger size smart carry.
    Not sure if this was in response to my post or not but I'll respond anyway...

I can assure you that the trigger of my Kahr is fully covered by the smartcarry. The issue is that the fabric is too thin in the front of the holster and allows you to pull the trigger right through the fabric.

Here is a youtube video that someone else posted demonstrating the issue:

YouTube - Smart carry trigger pull

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    Not sure if this was in response to my post or not but I'll respond anyway...

I can assure you that the trigger of my Kahr is fully covered by the smartcarry. The issue is that the fabric is too thin in the front of the holster and allows you to pull the trigger right through the fabric.

Here is a youtube video that someone else posted demonstrating the issue:

YouTube - Smart carry trigger pull
    Not sure what pistol that was in the video, but when I tried the same test with my Glocks I could not get the trigger to drop.

Inserting a piece of sheet plastic, if you are really concerned about it, solves the issue nicely. With a Kahr (no trigger safety) I would absolutely insert the plastic into the gun pouch to shield the trigger.
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links