I tried out a Smartcarry.

This is a discussion on I tried out a Smartcarry. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Smartcarry came in last week. I have tried it with a few different pistols. Mine is the medium size, regular waist. I am a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The Smartcarry came in last week. I have tried it with a few different pistols. Mine is the medium size, regular waist. I am a 36 in the waist. I still have a decent amount of dunlap.

I first tried it with an HK P2000 in 40. It is a medium sized auto, not much different in size from a Glock 19. The hammer kept poking me in the dunlap section of my belly when sitting or driving. Ditto for the Sig P245, though it was a bit more comfortable. INext, I tried my newly acquired Kimber Ultra Carry. It is a lightweight model, with the alloy frame, officer length grip, commander length slide. It was great when standing, but still poked me some when sitting or driving. It was the smallest of the three.

I also tried the HK USP Compact, in 40, with a bobbed hammer. It felt the best as far as comfort, no potruding hammer or beavertail to poke me when sitting. I did look a lot like John Holm... you know. It does tend to crush your privates with tight jeans. If you are going to wear one of these, they work well with loosely fitting pants, like khakis which I wear a lot, or loose fitting shorts, like I have on today, or maybe gym pants, which I haven't owned in years.

Lastly, I found peace with the Smartcarry today. I picked up my HK 2000 SK, in 40. It came with 2 mags and the XG grip extender for use with a 12 round HK USP/P2000 regular magazine. Normal magazine capacity is 9 rounds. This little pistol is very much the size of the Glock 27. The longer 12 round full sized HK USP/P2000 mag adds about 3/8 of an inch to the grip length. Nirvana was here. I'm sitting here wearing it, and had forgot about it until just now. I can wear it around the house all day, and never think about it being there. That is what a comfortable ccw holster should do, be forgotten about.

Would I buy it again? Yes. Is it perfect for every firearm? Not with my build. Maybe for a slimmer person, or one with much looser fitting pants, I found a used one, said to be used only one time for $35. I am going to buy it. The cost of this new one, with shipping, was $53. Here are some photos.

VIP Member
    I found the Smartcarry to work best with a smaller gun such as a 642 with the small grip on it. It prints pretty bad with a large grip.
    I'm have an average build so I don't really have the "poking issue". It has its place and I rarley use it, but it's good to have in the holster drawer.
    I use it mostly if I have to wear a suit such as at a funeral....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

You got to get these for the P2000SK with the X_Grip in a SmartCarry

MidwayUSA - HK Magazine Floorplate P2000, USP Compact 40 S&W, 357 Sig 12-Round Blue

Summer in New Mexico always has me wearing gym shorts and a tank top unless I'm on my Harley (which is every day) or I have to dress up for whatever reason. The Smart Carry is great for that. I have one in small for the PM9 and one in medium for the G23. Pretty much if what I'm wearing has no provision for a belt, then it's time for the Smart Carry.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I wear mine under my cargo shorts to work in the summer time.I have the standerd size for my Glock 27 40cal with a Glock 22 spare mag with sleve on it 15 rounder.I wear it low,and no problems.I also wear it in the winter when I wear alotta sweat pants,With my Beretta Tomcat 32.cal in weakside front pocket,in Don Hume leather pocket holster.The rest of the time,im a leather holster man,IMB mostly,but OWB as much in winter with cover shirt.I think it has its place,in my holster colection...

Beretta tomcat,on right Glock27 with G22 mag with sleve inserted in middle

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    You got to get these for the P2000SK with the X_Grip in a SmartCarry

MidwayUSA - HK Magazine Floorplate P2000, USP Compact 40 S&W, 357 Sig 12-Round Blue

I have been on the mailing list, waiting for them to arrive, for a coulple of weeks now.

I use my SmartCarry mostly at home under the bathrobe or when I'm wearing gym shorts while lounging around the house and mowing the lawn.

I also wear it when I really need deep concealment.

And it's perfect for when my grandson comes over and we get to horsing around.

I have to admit I really like this holster. Matter of fact I think I'll wear it today!
    Question Everything!

my Smart Carry prints the handle of gun thru pants. maybe pants are too tight? I wear shirt untucked and that covers gun print.
    I carry a small size gun--Kel Tec PF9
    I also carry a spare tire around and find it uncomfortable when sitting
    with Smart Carry on

My boys wouldn't like the gun pointing at them, but that's just me.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    My boys wouldn't like the gun pointing at them, but that's just me.
    I thought this too but, after doing a little research I've found that the smart carry rides lower than that and simply lays on top of "the family jewels".

On a side note, my mom has been using one of these for a Sig P232 and loves it. I'm thinking about getting one for the Defender so my boys can protect themselves...
    "The way I figure it having a concealed gun is like wearing your seat belt. You hope that you never need it but, the one time you don't wear it and something happens you or your mourning family will be sorry you didn't have it."

I use the Smartcarry with a full size 1911A1. Pokes me when sitting but I'm working on the belly. Never had that untill I started sitting behind a desk all the time. I've got to get more active again and get rid of it and maybe I won't avoid mirrors as much as I do now. LOL ;)
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

It appears to me that to go to the restroom would be a major problem.
    Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    It appears to me that to go to the restroom would be a major problem.
    Best,
    Jerry
    Not really. Just unzip, stick two fingers in and move the gun and holster aside and do your business. It's just a little more trouble. Not a biggie.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

"Is that a gun or are you just happy to see me?"
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have been trying out a smartcarry for my Kahr MK9. I find the holster to be very comfortable and totally concealed.

My only issue with the smartcarry, and it's a biggie(!), is that you can actuate the trigger while holstered. Even the looooong trigger of my MK9 can be pulled, albeit with some determination. I am a firm believer that while a gun is in the holster it should be impossible for it to go off. The smartcarry makes the impossible possible.

I have solved the issue for the time being by removing the clip from an Uncle Mikes #36 and slipping that into the smart carry pocket, then holstering the Karh in the UM. It works fine, but does add some bulk.

I am going to contact the folks at smartcarry and see if they would be willing to add another layer of denim, or something similar, over the pocket the gun is holstered in with hopes that the added thickness solves the issue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links