Defensive Carry banner

my printing paranoia

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Eric Larsen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wish I had a few pictures to post but if you could just visualize bear, bare[sp?], with me.
I now have a Crosbreed Supertuck for my Kel-Tec P-11 and I love it.
While wearing a tank top undershirt and a thin t-shirt for an over shirt you cannot tell that I have anything under my shirt while I am just walking around and carrying on with my daily life.
But, if I bend a little at the waist or ar the knees to get something the pinky rest on the hand grip pokes out of my shirt prominently.
I have worn this set up in public probably five times now without even a funny look that I know of.
Holster is worn at about 3:30-4:00ish.
Is it normal for the hand grip to protrude in these circumstances?
I am being paranoid right?

#2 ·
I am being paranoid right?
Concern for what actually happens isn't paranoia, no.

You can shove the butt of the gun more tightly against the body, via a different position/holster/belt combination. Some options such as: appendix carry vs 4 o'clock; a smaller gun carried elsewhere; a 20* forward cant; an exceptional belt/holster that pulls it in tightly. But then, some body types print more than others.

You can camouflage the area, via a shirt with a print/pattern that masks the visible outlines of the gun.

You can have a heavier/thicker over-garment that covers the printing that does occur.

Or, you can accept you'll get a bit of printing from time to time.

I find a combination of smaller gun, better gear (to hold it tighter) and print pattern shirts works best for me.

#3 ·
I doubt you will be noticed unless your tee shirt is very tight. I often dress as you have described, (tank top with a tee shirt worn over it), while carrying either an XD9 or a Ruger SP101. A trained and observant eye might make me but the average sheepster shuffeling around in condition white doesn't observe much.

#4 ·
I used to have the same worries, but after many times dining out with the family I have gotten over it. Sitting in a chair in a busy restaurant with a full size 1911 grip poking WAY out was a little unnerving the first couple of times I did it, but no one has ever said a thing. Not even my wife who checks me over constantly. When bending over I just try to bend at the knees and not at the hips, but I really don't think anyone will ever notice.

#14 ·
Nope it is my adrenalin pump :embarassed:

For a P11, no one will every notice as long as you don't play with the gun to move it around to conceal it better. Just make sure your cover garment is down and bend at the knees instead of the waist like others have said. Change your mode of dress if required to make you feel more comfortable.

Good example of carrying concealed... My father and I spent 3 full days tramping through woods, boating with my father behind me most of the time (me in front of the canoe). He only noticed once my handgun a S&W 6946 in my OWB The Slide holster when I was crawling under the truck to pull out the spare (my shirt came up off the gun). And he knows I carry and never knew I was every waking moment.

So... Most people are clueless unless you constantly check your gun. So don't do it :twak: and if you feel the need to then change the mode of dress. :yup:

#6 ·
This whole concealed carry thing’ really isn’t a big deal, provided you have a permit. Perhaps you may consider more suitable attire that covers your gun when bending, reaching, etc. Now that its summer, I carry my 642-P in my Thunderwear. When I attend church, this seems to work very well with pleated dress slacks.
Regards,

#7 ·
I know the problem. Here in FL, I like wearing T-shirts too. I almost always wear a (wife-beater 'T') under my regular colored T-shirt. I switched up a size from XL to XXL. I found that the XXL's were a little big until they are washed a few times. The extra room and length greatly aided in covering any possible printing.

Stay armed...go 'bigger'...stay safe!

#9 ·
Looks like I will have to get to washing my hawiian shirts. But seriously, I just got back from my nephews graduation wearing my tank top light gray t-shirt combo. Kel-tec p-11, instuctor's belt, supertuck. There were about 30 people there and nobody even gave me a second look. Thank you for all of the replies and personal stories about your experiences, I really do appreciate it.

#10 ·
If I bend a little at the waist or at the knees to get something the pinky rest on the hand grip pokes out of my shirt prominently...Is it normal for the hand grip to protrude in these circumstances?
Yes. Many pistols' grips will protrude if you carry IWB or OWB when you bend. It will become second nature for you to minimize bending in places you particularly don't want to print. Since you live in the OC-legal state of Michigan, it won't cause you any problems if you bend over to load a bag of quikcrete in the Home Depot or Lowe's parking lot.

#11 ·
If you have your CCW permit you shouldn't be worrying. You'll get used to carrying. Try squatting over bending. I find darker colored "T's" a size larger work for me. I've never had anyone say anything to me in 17+ years of carrying. Most of the time it's been a big ol 1911 at 4:30.

I'm sure you are wearing a quality holster and a quality belt. One without the other is useless for CC IMO.

My newest shirts for summer carry when I'm not riding the Harley are Columbia's fishing shirts over a Body Armor T . They are both micro thin, comfortable and great for hot summer carry.

Happy packing, stay safe and enjoy your freedom.

#12 ·
Try to go straight down, instead of bending over. When I need to get something low I always "take a knee" and it works great. But like others have said, I doubt the sheeple will notice.

#13 ·
I used to be the same way when these guys in here straightened me out. I was worried about printing all the time too, truth is like they have said the sheep don't think of anything when they see something printing on the side or the back of you. You worry too much, you have a permit and thats all that matters, even if you showed your gun accidently they couldn't do a whole lot about it. Good luck it will be 2nd nature before you know it.

#15 ·
I had the same problem when wearing t shirts. I am a thin guy so I wear a size small. After I got my CPL, I wear longer t-shirts which are usually under shirts made of either 100% cotton from H&M($5 for 2) or UnderArmor dri-fit ($24 per shirt).

Over the t-shirt I wear a half-sleeve shirt unbuttoned/buttoned. It conceals pretty well even when I bend down to pick up my dog droppings on the sidewalk.

As long as you kneel down without bending your upper back, even if you have a t-shirt on, there won't be any printing or reveal of your gun. You may have to practice this in front of a mirror.

I just ordered the Israeli Shabak jacket. That should be a good addition to the summer line.

#16 ·
While i was waiting on my permit wearing around the house it used to drive me crazy. I could see every little thing. I adjusted the cant of the holster and got a good belt and it helped alot. Now that ive been carrying for a month or so i really dont think about it. I still check to make sure my shirt hasnt ridden up when i get out of the jeep and i try to bend at the knees but other then that i forget about it. No one notices. I live in an open carry state so if they do its no big deal. Im legal so its all good.

#17 ·
The longer you carry, the less printing is an issue. It's all in your head. You notice it a lot more than anybody else ever will.

I recently went to dinner with 15 other people who were all carrying. A varied mixture of IWB and OWB, and a range of guns that went from LCPs all the way up to Glock 17s. Lots of printing going on. We walked in past 2 LEOs and were walking around for a couple of hours. Nobody noticed a thing! And this place was packed.

#18 ·
Id say the normal time for people to chill out when carrying is between 6 months and a year. Everyone does the casual touch the gun to make sure its still there...rub your lower back to make sure the gun is still there. And you think everyone can see it and KNOWS you have a gun......
It will all subside in time.
The holster should hold it very close to the body....maybe shifting the gun or getting a holster with a tad more cant will help. If you really need to print less and its not just the thing discussed above.
God bless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.