Confusion on Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Confusion on Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never pocket carried but just ordered an LCP for that purpose. Here's what's confusing me as I read through the threads for information from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confusion on Pocket Carry

Confusion on Pocket Carry

I've never pocket carried but just ordered an LCP for that purpose. Here's what's confusing me as I read through the threads for information from guys with a lot of experience. M-F, I wear either business casual (dockers and tucked in golf shirt or dress shirt) or a suit. I looked at the shape of the actual pocket on the inside of the suit pants and dockers (I'm becoming a freakin' tailor) and I've seen examples of pocket holsters that are clearly designed for that shape.
    On evenings, weekends, or work from home days, however, I'm going to be wearing shorts that have a rectangular pocket shape or jeans which have the same rectangular shape, or cargo shorts with just an external rectangular outside pocket. Then there's the back pocket.
    Is there something out there that will work with this assortment of pockets or am I facing having to buy a different holster for each pocket style: standard front/side pocket, cargo style, and jeans? I'd appreciate hearing from folks who pocket carry in diff clothing. If any of the holster co. guys on the site can weigh in, that'd be great too. Help!

Makster

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackster View Post
    I've never pocket carried but just ordered an LCP for that purpose. Here's what's confusing me as I read through the threads for information from guys with a lot of experience. M-F, I wear either business casual (dockers and tucked in golf shirt or dress shirt) or a suit. I looked at the shape of the actual pocket on the inside of the suit pants and dockers (I'm becoming a freakin' tailor) and I've seen examples of pocket holsters that are clearly designed for that shape.
    On evenings, weekends, or work from home days, however, I'm going to be wearing shorts that have a rectangular pocket shape or jeans which have the same rectangular shape, or cargo shorts with just an external rectangular outside pocket. Then there's the back pocket.
    Is there something out there that will work with this assortment of pockets or am I facing having to buy a different holster for each pocket style: standard front/side pocket, cargo style, and jeans? I'd appreciate hearing from folks who pocket carry in diff clothing. If any of the holster co. guys on the site can weigh in, that'd be great too. Help!

Makster
    Yes, different holsters are available to fit different types of pockets. There are also many favorites on the boards. Mikta I think is one that often comes up.

But, really, multiple holsters are not required for something as small and light as the LCP. Just get a basic pocket holster, and it will be fine. Once in a while, you might have to discreetly adjust the cant in the pocket, but, I carry a J-frame this way, and it really is not an issue.

kpw
    I carry a Kel-Tec in an HBE 2 point. Jeans, cargos or dockers, it works well with all.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ctr,

Thanks...that's encouraging! Based on the shape of some of the one's I've seen I can't figure out how a one size fits all. The Desantis Nemesis I've heard a lot about has a flap that doesn't seem to work with rectangular pockets like you'd find in jeans, for example.

kpw,

Just went to the HBE site to look at the 2-point pocket holster. They are almost too nice to hide in a pocket! I'll take your word for it but still don't get how that fits into a jeans pocket. How noticeable is the gun standing or especially sitting. Is it comfortable for all day? Are you able to easily access the gun? Is their holster a 1 size or do they actually take measurements for this stuff?
    Sorry for all the questions. I'd love to find the 'right' holster for pocket carry the 1st time...notice that a lot of guys on the site are serial buyers and have tried many things before settling on something!

Mackster

You will be self conscious of it being in you pocket than anyone else. I have been carrying for a couple of months now and no one pays any attention to a lump in your pocket. The holster will break up the outline of the gun.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Stealie,

So I'm guessing it's a little like stuffing a few checkbook wallets in your front pocket. Very noticeable especially sitting, but to an onlooker no gun printing and could be anything stuffed in there. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this...lots of guys apparently have no problem whatsoever.
    Any comments on the best material: leather, kydex, other? Thx.

Mackster

Pocket holsters can have a tendency to 'tip' inside the pocket, or one may have a problem 'hooking' the holster so that only the gun comes out of your pocket.

Not so with this...

Pocket Holster with the 'thumb push'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry my P3AT in one of my Rough Out Pocket holsters every day. Usually in the back pocket but right now it is in my front pocket of shorts.

The P3AT or LCP are one gun you can always have on you no matter what your wearing (maybe no on the speedo ). Look into both front and back pocket carry.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Burl,
    Thx for the input. What's the approx measurements of the rough out pocket holster? Work in a jeans back pocket?
    Thankfully, don't have to worry about that speedo problem! Not a pretty sight!

Mackster

Desantis Nemisis

I have my LCP in a Desantis Nemisis and I front pocket carry in my kakis, jeans, and shorts. The pockets are all different shapes but, I haven't had a problem at all. The only problem that I've had with the Nemisis that I got is that the pocket is sized for the crimson trace laser and I don't have one... After carrying it around for a few days it started wallowing a bit. I just took two small black buttons and sewed them on either side thru the holster to hold it in the appropriate place and it's great now... It's my only carry gun that I don't have multiple holsters for.

About the "print" in your pocket... I carried my wallet in my front pocket for years and everybody has always teased me about the amount of stuff I carry in my pockets. I actually just rearranged everything and re-evaluated what I really need to carry around. The only time I really notice is sitting in jeans and then I just pull a little of the excess leg fabric up and wrinkle it over the holster. I really find this much more comfortable to me than any other gun/method of carrying that I do. It just seems like the same as having my pocket knife on me...
    Last edited by avgeekjlb; June 15th, 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added reply to second part of question...

That's one of the reasons I prefer to carry in my strong-side back pocket. The holster has a panel that prints exactly like a wallet, no matter what I wear. I've carried it in everything from jeans and cargo shorts, to suits and a tuxedo.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

To solve any problems around pocket design, I bought two Mika Pocket Holsters, one rounded and one squared at the bottom.

For under $20 each I now have a great pocket holster for Dockers as well as other slacks!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by mackster View Post
    Burl,
    Thx for the input. What's the approx measurements of the rough out pocket holster? Work in a jeans back pocket?
    Thankfully, don't have to worry about that speedo problem! Not a pretty sight!

Mackster
    The measurements are just slightly larger than the gun for length and width by 1/4 to 1/2".
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

David in FL,

Who makes that back pocket wallet...looks like a great option! Thx.

Mackster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links