Defensive Carry banner

Confusion on Pocket Carry

6K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  TonyDTrigger 
#1 ·
I've never pocket carried but just ordered an LCP for that purpose. Here's what's confusing me as I read through the threads for information from guys with a lot of experience. M-F, I wear either business casual (dockers and tucked in golf shirt or dress shirt) or a suit. I looked at the shape of the actual pocket on the inside of the suit pants and dockers (I'm becoming a freakin' tailor) and I've seen examples of pocket holsters that are clearly designed for that shape.
On evenings, weekends, or work from home days, however, I'm going to be wearing shorts that have a rectangular pocket shape or jeans which have the same rectangular shape, or cargo shorts with just an external rectangular outside pocket. Then there's the back pocket.
Is there something out there that will work with this assortment of pockets or am I facing having to buy a different holster for each pocket style: standard front/side pocket, cargo style, and jeans? I'd appreciate hearing from folks who pocket carry in diff clothing. If any of the holster co. guys on the site can weigh in, that'd be great too. Help!

Makster

#2 ·
Yes, different holsters are available to fit different types of pockets. There are also many favorites on the boards. Mikta I think is one that often comes up.

But, really, multiple holsters are not required for something as small and light as the LCP. Just get a basic pocket holster, and it will be fine. Once in a while, you might have to discreetly adjust the cant in the pocket, but, I carry a J-frame this way, and it really is not an issue.

#4 ·
Ctr,

Thanks...that's encouraging! Based on the shape of some of the one's I've seen I can't figure out how a one size fits all. The Desantis Nemesis I've heard a lot about has a flap that doesn't seem to work with rectangular pockets like you'd find in jeans, for example.

#5 ·
kpw,

Just went to the HBE site to look at the 2-point pocket holster. They are almost too nice to hide in a pocket! I'll take your word for it but still don't get how that fits into a jeans pocket. How noticeable is the gun standing or especially sitting. Is it comfortable for all day? Are you able to easily access the gun? Is their holster a 1 size or do they actually take measurements for this stuff?
Sorry for all the questions. I'd love to find the 'right' holster for pocket carry the 1st time...notice that a lot of guys on the site are serial buyers and have tried many things before settling on something!

Mackster

#6 ·
You will be self conscious of it being in you pocket than anyone else. I have been carrying for a couple of months now and no one pays any attention to a lump in your pocket. The holster will break up the outline of the gun.

#7 ·
Stealie,

So I'm guessing it's a little like stuffing a few checkbook wallets in your front pocket. Very noticeable especially sitting, but to an onlooker no gun printing and could be anything stuffed in there. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this...lots of guys apparently have no problem whatsoever.
Any comments on the best material: leather, kydex, other? Thx.

Mackster

#8 ·
Pocket holsters can have a tendency to 'tip' inside the pocket, or one may have a problem 'hooking' the holster so that only the gun comes out of your pocket.

Not so with this...

Pocket Holster with the 'thumb push'

#9 ·
I carry my P3AT in one of my Rough Out Pocket holsters every day. Usually in the back pocket but right now it is in my front pocket of shorts.

The P3AT or LCP are one gun you can always have on you no matter what your wearing (maybe no on the speedo :aargh4:). Look into both front and back pocket carry.

#11 · (Edited)
Desantis Nemisis

I have my LCP in a Desantis Nemisis and I front pocket carry in my kakis, jeans, and shorts. The pockets are all different shapes but, I haven't had a problem at all. The only problem that I've had with the Nemisis that I got is that the pocket is sized for the crimson trace laser and I don't have one... After carrying it around for a few days it started wallowing a bit. I just took two small black buttons and sewed them on either side thru the holster to hold it in the appropriate place and it's great now... It's my only carry gun that I don't have multiple holsters for. :image035:

About the "print" in your pocket... I carried my wallet in my front pocket for years and everybody has always teased me about the amount of stuff I carry in my pockets. I actually just rearranged everything and re-evaluated what I really need to carry around. The only time I really notice is sitting in jeans and then I just pull a little of the excess leg fabric up and wrinkle it over the holster. I really find this much more comfortable to me than any other gun/method of carrying that I do. It just seems like the same as having my pocket knife on me...

#12 ·
That's one of the reasons I prefer to carry in my strong-side back pocket. The holster has a panel that prints exactly like a wallet, no matter what I wear. I've carried it in everything from jeans and cargo shorts, to suits and a tuxedo.

#13 ·
To solve any problems around pocket design, I bought two Mika Pocket Holsters, one rounded and one squared at the bottom.

For under $20 each I now have a great pocket holster for Dockers as well as other slacks!

#17 ·
#18 ·
mackster:

You have made a correct observation:
Different-shaped pockets might require different shaped pocket holsters and/or pocket guns.

One pocket holster or pocket gun will not serve you well for 100% of your pocket-carry circumstances.

Some folks above have suggested some fine, quality pocket holsters. By all means, get one of them if it suits you for the majority of your carry. The feel and pride of ownership of quality gear is one of the good things in life.

I have done that for some of my pocket guns, but I also like to keep some cheaper/alternate pocket holsters on hand for when my preferred pocket gun/holster combo is not working as I'd prefer.

For instance, over time I have bought every single size of Uncle Mike's pocket holsters: sizes 1, 2, 3, and 4. I have had several "3" & "4" holsters due to them wearing out. I also own some pocket holsters made specifically for guns I don't own, but their shape lends themselves to some particular circumstance.

Luckily, the UM pocket holsters are cheap and the odd pocket holster can sometimes be found in the "used holster bin" some gun stores have.

FTR, I own pocket guns ranging in size from the Kel-Tec P32 to the KT P40, with a snubbie and a few other semi-autos in the mix, too.

Good luck and thank you for going to the effort to be an armed citizen.

#21 ·
I admit that I only occasionally pocket carry, but I'd say the Mika would hold up well. It does an excellent job of breaking up the outline of my J-frame.

His prices went up, I think they are now $22.

Here's a pic of my wife's LCP in a Mika pocket holster.

#20 ·
Unless your pockets are way too small, I would not worry about printing. I stood in line at lunch with 4 officers in uniform and a detective. Nobody knows I'm carrying, and that is a very typical experience.

#22 ·
I'm not a holster maker although I've spent at least 4k on holsters over the years. I can assure you that you can have anything you want if you simply contact a maker or shop the forums.
Regards,

#25 ·
There are many well known and lesser known holster makers out there building quality holsters. I've been pocket carrying for well over 30 years I build quite a number of pocket holsters myself. IMHO, I truly believe, the only thing more important then a quality holster is the size of the pocket and the cut of the trousers. No pocket holster / weapon combitnation will work with every sized pocket and cut of trousers.

#26 ·
The Mika is ok, but it is thicker than my Nemesis. But, the Mika is easier to remove if you have to disarm. The Nemesis is very difficult to get out of my pockets. So, I use both. The Uncle Mikes does not stay in my pocket. I misplaced this holster and would never buy a new one. It is ok for storage.

I was thinking about buying a Kramer or RKBA holster. Does anyone know how they compare in thickness to the Mika or Nemesis?

#28 ·
I'll add another vote for Mika pocket holsters. I switched to them because the Nemesis wouldn't stay in my pocket. I have two, for different guns, one square and the other rounded. Both are excellent quality and were not expensive. I hardly know I'm carrying with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.