LEO needs a new holster

This is a discussion on LEO needs a new holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, My brother just graduated from the EKU police academy, so we bought him a graduation gift. We all pooled are money together and ...

Thread: LEO needs a new holster

Exclamation LEO needs a new holster

Hi everyone,

My brother just graduated from the EKU police academy, so we bought him a graduation gift. We all pooled are money together and bought him a set of crimson trace laser grips for his duty weapon, a Glock 23. He loves the grips as he is cross-eye dominant and it helps his shooting. However he trained with a Safari-land holster, its the kind where you have to rock the weapon forward to draw. I'm unsure of the exact technical name of that retention system but I know you have to rock the weapon forward to draw it. Regardless, when he installed the laser grips on his Glock it will still seat in the holster fine, however his draw is impeded. He would not be able to use this holster and keep the laser.
    This is my question, does Safari-Land make a holster with the same type of retention device but with the crimson trace laser grip in mind? He doesn't want to change holster types as he would then have to relearn and reteach himself how to draw out of a different holster. I hope you guys can help, he was so disappointed when he found it wouldn't work. Thanks DC!

EDIT: I found the holster he has it is a 295 Mid-Ride Level II Duty Holster, here is a link of said holster http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1061.php
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    In all honesty, he doesn't have "years" with this holster. He's barely started. He doesn't really have that much "learning" to unlearn. I see now that you've found it, so I guess what I'm saying is moot.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I didn't find the solution, I found his current holster.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Administrator
    You're in Lexington... get yourself over to Galls. Safariland has a ton of holsters, most of which will work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Safariland has a universe full of duty style holsters...and Galls is like the WW of the Public Safety supply world.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I think all of the LEO's around this area use Blackhawk's level 3 retention system.

Level 3 SERPA Auto Lock Duty Holster - BLACKHAWK!

I believe that's the one. Seems pretty effective and even protects the rear sights so that if he gets in a scuffle or is climbing over things they won't get damaged.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

oops sorry just reread the last part and you aren't looking for a different holster. Good luck!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I didn't find the solution, I found his current holster.

In that case, I stick to what I've said. You might contact SafariLand about the issue. They may be able to help.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    rocks forward to disengage or rock it down?
    my level 4 Safariland Raptor requires me to rock the grip down while pressing the button in on the side to clear the draw, I didn't know they made one that rocks forward. The whole idea of rocking down is that a scumbag is trying to get your weapon, the more they tug up on it the more its actually secure due to the required rocking down motion.

anyway, here is a good place to start:
    http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/i...pistols_dg.pdf

if need be call or email the Safariland people, they are good to get back to you and helpful:
    SAFARILAND [Contact Us] : Holsters, Belts, Duty Gear, & Accessories for Law Enforcement, Military, Competition, and Sporting Enthusiasts
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, how does the addition of the CT grips hamper his draw stroke?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Links