Debating On Which Holster For The New 1911

This is a discussion on Debating On Which Holster For The New 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and love it! Now I am trying to decide what type of holster I want for it. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating On Which Holster For The New 1911

I recently purchased a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and love it!

Now I am trying to decide what type of holster I want for it.

I love my Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. for my Glock, but have heard various opinions regarding the kydex/leather decision when it comes to a 1911 holster.

Any opinions? Recommendations? What works best for you to carry it comfortably (especially in regards to the size and weight of the gun)?
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I bought a Crossbreed for my full size. Hides better than my old Glock could anyday. I carry right at 3:00 on the hip with no printing at all.

You definitely need a good belt to support the weight of a 1911. Sometimes I experience a little lower back pain when walking alot with it.

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I bought a Crossbreed for my full size. Hides better than my old Glock could anyday. I carry right at 3:00 on the hip with no printing at all.

You definitely need a good belt to support the weight of a 1911. Sometimes I experience a little lower back pain when walking alot with it.
    How long have you had your Crossbreed? Are you worried about the kydex wearing the finish of your 1911? It seems to me that kydex would be kind of abrasive on the finish.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Any holster will cause wear if the gun is holstered/drawn enough times over a period of months/years. Kydex is extremely slick on the inside.

Look at Bluegrass Hybrid Holsters if you want kydex or custom leather. TT Gunleather is awesome too but its a 5 month wait.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

What do you want for your 1911?
    IWB...OWB?

You'll find some very comfortable choices here.
    HOLSTERS

I would suggest Fist's #1A with clip, cant, and body protector.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I wouldn't necessarily say any one maker or one holster is the answer for you...everyone has opinions on what the best holster is..and it very likely is the best holster for them.

What I would look for is a quality maker and the style that suits your needs.

Given the weight/size of the weapon...most people tend to go for the offset loop style IWB...meaning the loops are on both sides of the gun. This makes it more stable, carries the weight better and is thinner than other designs.

Make sure it has a body shield to keep the hammer/b-tail away from you...just for your comfort.

Materials are many and there are many great makers and designs out there.
    Get recommendations from whomever you trust and weigh your choices....

Thats the best I can do............God bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say any one maker or one holster is the answer for you...everyone has opinions on what the best holster is..and it very likely is the best holster for them.

Given the weight/size of the weapon...most people tend to go for the offset loop style IWB...meaning the loops are on both sides of the gun. This makes it more stable, carries the weight better and is thinner than other designs.

Make sure it has a body shield to keep the hammer/b-tail away from you...just for your comfort.

This is who you want to make your holster right here ^^^^^^^
    Heres a link to his site H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks
    He does some of the nicest work in the buisness & his turnaround times arent bad at all.

I would look at Crossbreed, Purekustom Black Ops, to begin with. If and when I get the money saved I'll be getting a holster from Rocky from Purekustom.

But thats just me there are many great holster makers out there in which to choose from.

The Black Ops from Pure Kustom is a true convertible holster, inside or outside the waistband. It was designed that way, not just some modified existing model. Most of us have two holsters per gun. With the Black Ops, you only need one. Quality is top notch, and no long wait times.
    Pure kustom Holsters main page
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I don't think anything looks better than a 1911 in a Tucker HF1 or HF2 - just darn good looking, well made leather holsters.

They are VERY comfortable and even though they are OWB, I find that they conceal extremely well under just a polo shirt.

I also can vouch for Kramer IWB holsters, they are not as pretty as the Tuckers, but very well made.

I have a Kholster that works very well with my 1911 Commander. I have noticed the kydex seems to be very abrassive.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I carry my Kimber full size in a Kirkpatrick (down your way) SOB holster. High quality holsters and very comfortable to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post

Agreed. I would add a couple of things and that is waiting time, and cost. I would not let cost be the deciding factor, as a top notch holster will cost $ and is worth it.

Although most do prefer the offset loops, my favorite is the Sparks ExC due to the leather skirt that conforms to the body, and prevents the muzzle from digging in. I do not find the loop placement more difficult to conceal.

I believe Eric has a relatively short waiting list, and his reputation is such that one should check what he offers.

Don't neglect a good belt, and be aware that all belts do not fit all holsters even though both would be 1.5". Accordingly, it is wise to get a belt from the holster maker.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Rafter Holsters
    Holsters
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    I have a Kholster that works very well with my 1911 Commander. I have noticed the kydex seems to be very abrassive.
    Stealie, how do you like your Kholster? How the comfort, retention, etc? Do you think it could be smoothed out on the inside of the Kydex to be less abrasive?

I'm considering getting one.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links