recommend holster for 4 day handgun training

This is a discussion on recommend holster for 4 day handgun training within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be attending Front Sight's 4 day defensive handgun course sometime this year. I'm looking for suggestions on a holster to use. I have already ...

Thread: recommend holster for 4 day handgun training

recommend holster for 4 day handgun training

I'll be attending Front Sight's 4 day defensive handgun course sometime this year. I'm looking for suggestions on a holster to use. I have already decided to get a IWB holster from Little Bear Holsters, but I didn't know if that would work for the course.

I didn't know exactly where to put this post. Holsters or Tactical training?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Train the way you carry everyday.

Smile

I just got back and rented the gun so that I did not have to goof around with TSA. I used the XD 9mm with the OWB Kydex Springfield holster and that worked very well for the purpose at hand and that is to create muscle memory. Keep in mind that you are trainng on a gravel surface and if you drop the gun, it isn't easy on it. Also, you do a lot of magazine changes and malfunction drills which exposes the mags to the rocks. For $100.00 rental for the week I felt better using their gun with my ammo. The drawing motion is pretty much the same whether OWB or IWB as long as the gun is in the same position. It has been easier once I got home to draw from either position as I now know the mechanics that apply for either. I had a great time and you should look forward to the experience.

Armydad

You'd do well to have an OWB kydex rig from Bladetech. Their holsters with the "stingray" attachment are very stable and fast. You will be racing the clock toward the end of your visit and fighting to draw from an IWB might not be worth it. Yes, it's good to train with what you plan on using but Front Sight promotes pseudo-competition. You'll compete better with an OWB holster. If not Bladetech, go with a fobus (cheaper). Avoid retention devices like straps and don't bring a DOH (Dropped-Offset Holster) as I believe these are not permitted. Make sure you have a sturdy belt too. Not a bad time to get a dedicated "instructor's belt." They're not that expensive.

Please report back on your experience with Front Sight for the rest of us...

I would use the holster(s) you tend to use most of the time for SD.
    Using the same holster would help to develop muscle memory for those times that you may have to reach out and 'touch' someone.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links