Help Please, Tuckable or not

This is a discussion on Help Please, Tuckable or not within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK. I told the new wife that for my combination fathers day/birthday present I want to get a new holster. I have pretty much decided ...

Thread: Help Please, Tuckable or not

Help Please, Tuckable or not

OK. I told the new wife that for my combination fathers day/birthday present I want to get a new holster. I have pretty much decided that I want IWB with 15 degree froward cant. The gun is a two inch snub nose 38.

The thing I am having trouble with is tuckable verses not tuckable.

I work in an office so normal dress is tucked in dress shirt. We don't wear suit coats.

My concern is I have a cheap kinda universal fit Desantis tuckable nylon holster with an kydex blade for cant adjustment. When I wear the holster it seems to shift around alot. The clip on the desantis is a j hook that goes over the pants, and the lip hooks under the belt.

I have a good heavy duty belt, but it is so thick that the j hook will not wrap around the belt thickness so I have to wear a standard dress belt.

Alot of the time the hook pulls the lip of the pants down below the top of the belt and the bottom of the j hook ends up 1/2 inch below the bottom of the belt or it rides up under the belt.

I am still trying to decide between the High Noon and Fist line.
    I really like the High Noon Split Decision but am concerned that I will still have trouble with the gun shifting. I think the design is better than the Desantis because the clip goes OVER the belt so the belt carrys the weight, not the top of the pants. The clip is on the center of the gun, so it is balanced better. The Desantis has the clip behind the gun more over the trigger area so the gun weight pulls the holster forward and down. Plus the Desantis clip has a single tension screw for Cant, and it doesnt hold tight, sometimes it slips and changes angle.

Since I don't know if I will carry that much at work, I could order the High Noon Bare Assset, and not have to worry about the tuckable tab being rigid enough.

I am alss concerned about the thickness of my duty belt. Will it fit thru the clip on the Split Descision or Bare Asset. The belt is a Cabela's Double Duty, I estimate the thickness at about 1/4 inch.

Does anyone here use a Split Decision and how well does it work?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I don't have experiance with either of the holsters you are considering. But on my tuckable Comptac, I have C clips instead of J clips so I don't have the problem of the pants pulling down. All the load (up or down) is on the belt.

I use my tuckable whether I tuck or not. Personally, I would vote for a good tuckable holster because of the versatility. With a good one that fits you and your gun properly, you shouldn't experiance the problems you expressed. I bought my father the Crossbreed tuckable even though he rarely tucks and I know he's exteamly happy with it. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if he's even worn it tucked yet.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

cmb

Ace Case

I am a thrifty accesory shopper b/c I can them buy more guns and ammo to shoot! I tried the ace case tuckable holster for $10 at cheaperthandirt.com and I love them (have 3 different models, 5 total), I carry subcompact through full size auto with no problem depending on attire. I dress regularly in collar shirt or dress shirt and tie, my line of work requires discretion. The whole thing adds 1 inch to my waistline. Check it out may work for you.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Haven't used the holsters you're asking about, but a IWB holster that shifts is defintely due for replacement. I love my Crossbreed Supertuck. Wears very well under business casual (Dockers and button up shirt).
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

You have a great gun belt, you should start using it! Using the J-hook you are bypassing the advantages of having a sturdy belt. Tuckables are great. When applied with a C-clip, much of your shifting issues will go away. Even better is to have a wide stance on the holster like the one I'm currently wearing from HBE Specialty Leatherworks. I'm not telling you that this is the only holster for you, just that the wide spacing of the C-clips works wonders for shift-free concealment under a tucked shirt.

It is always better to carry than not to carry. A good tuckable will do the job for you. Yes, the C-Clips on most tuckables will fit around your 1/4" thick belt -they are designed for the typical CCW setup and 1/4" is standard for dual-layer carry belts. If this is not possible, get a small pocket auto and carry in the pocket. It's less than ideal but better than being unarmed in the moment of need.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Ted, Thanks for the heads up on the Desantis "Tuck This" holster. I was considering this holster but had my reservations regarding the J-hook staying in place.

I too have looked at the Highnoon holsters and liked what I saw, but I just can't get past that very large clip. Kind of a give away if you ask me.

The Supertuck might work for me. I'm still trying to get away from the 2 clips on the belt.

Hopefully I'll fine a tuckable with a cant,slide guard and 1 leather belt loop.
    Thunder9

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
    LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Consider velcro clips also if you pick a holster that can accommodate them (MTAC, Dakota Defender, FIST?, etc.).

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I have carried a full size 1911 in a Comptac C-TAC with standard with a tucked in shirt on many occasions and with never a significant issue.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I have the high noon Hidden Alley for a Taurus 85UL revolver. I like the holster and really like the option of being able to tuck. The only thing about it is it doesn't have a re-enforced mouth for one handed re-holstering. But other than that I plan on getting one for my Glock 26 but with the 15* cant called the Split Decision.

Also check out the FIST holsters.

I have the FIST Tuckable/Interchangeable IWB holster. The cant is adjustable, as is the attachments. I don't have experience with any of the other holsters mentioned, but I do recommend the FIST.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Good day to all. When using a tuckable with a J hook...keep in mind the weight is taken on the pants. To get the holster to function properly you need a pretty stout pair of pants and a very snug belt also.

Most customers Ive had in my shop will lift their cover garment up and show me their holster. In some, if not most cases, the weight of the holster/gun has pulled there pants down where the J hook is and the hook itself is well below the belt. If that is the case..and the gun is drawn..the holster comes out with the gun. As you can imagine this is not great for helping you out of the jam you are in.

I think J hooks are a fantastic idea if they are worn in the proper manner so they work like they are designed.

Look around and see what tuckables appeal to you ...high noon or fist are great holsters. They should work for you very well.

Czampion...thanks for the kind words...glad you like your leather.

Shoot well
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Another vote for the High Noon Hidden Ally - superb for the $$

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder9 View Post

I too have looked at the Highnoon holsters and liked what I saw, but I just can't get past that very large clip. Kind of a give away if you ask me.

The Supertuck might work for me. I'm still trying to get away from the 2 clips on the belt.

Hopefully I'll fine a tuckable with a cant,slide guard and 1 leather belt loop.

I guess I dont see an advantage of the leather belt loop verses the metal clip as far as concealment goes. Either one is either going to be noticed or not. In either case I guess you could hang a keyring from the clip and camaflage it as a keyring, of course I worry that the key ring would get in the way of a clean draw. I havn't tried it yet so can't say for sure.

Links