Need a good holster for my new Colt Commander

This is a discussion on Need a good holster for my new Colt Commander within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may remember I just bought this beauty: And now I need a holster for it. Previously I turned to a specific Ebay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good holster for my new Colt Commander

Need a good holster for my new Colt Commander

Some of you may remember I just bought this beauty:

And now I need a holster for it.

Previously I turned to a specific Ebay seller for holsters. He makes hand stitched leather holsters of really great quality at a low price. They work great for smaller guns, or larger guns for winter carry, but don't work well for summer concealment. Plus, this gun just asks for a nicer holster.

I'm about 5'11", hovering around 190. Not overweight but not skinny either. I want a holster that will protect my Colt well (shield sweat, minimal holster wear, etc) and will ride as comfortably as possible and conceal well. While money is obviously always an issue, I am willing to pay a little more to get a good holster.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

My favorites can found here...

HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Take a look at 5 Shot, John Ralston. He is now full time and his website states a 12 week wait.
    Considering the quality and wait that is hard to equal.
    5 Shot Leather, LLC - OWB

I do not have one of his holsters, but his reputation among those who know makes me confident of his workmanship.

Another fine maker with a short wait is Eric at HBE. Nate at UBG has a short wait also I believe.
    Any of those men can make a great holster that the gun demands.

If you can stand the wait contact Alex Nossar who along with Gary Brommeland is the best in the business IMO.
    http://www.nossargunleather.com/catalog.htm

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    My go to guys are:

HBE Specialty Leatherworks. Eric makes the COM III which IMO is the most comfortable and well made IWB out there. It also has everything else you asked for and then some.
    Have 5 of his holsters and they are all awesome.

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

COM III for a BHP

TT Gunleather. Tim's holsters are a great buy for the money and their quality improves with everyone that comes out of his shop. Have my P7 on right now and it's holding up great after 6+ months of daily carry. He also gives LEO's and Military a 10% discount.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Reinforced IWB for my P7

You can't go wrong with either gentlemen.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I use a Milt Sparks.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks a lot for your recommendations guys, I've checked them all out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards UBG or HBE for the holster. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I also need a gun belt, and would like a magazine holder as well. If I go with the UBG holster, I can get both of these from him also. I may end up doing that anyway even if I go with the HBE.

Any idea how a UBG gunbelt would stack against a belt from beltman? I want it to last for years.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Administrator
    "Any idea how a UBG gunbelt would stack against a belt from beltman? I want it to last for years."

UBG make heap plenty good belts and holsters.

S & W Commander size 1911 in a FIST #1 holster. Have used this combo for years and it works well for me. Always remember that a good gun belt will "make the deal" and that is certainly true here as well. Good luck
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Thanks a lot for your recommendations guys, I've checked them all out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards UBG or HBE for the holster. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I also need a gun belt, and would like a magazine holder as well. If I go with the UBG holster, I can get both of these from him also. I may end up doing that anyway even if I go with the HBE.

Any idea how a UBG gunbelt would stack against a belt from beltman? I want it to last for years.

I don't have a UBG, but I do have a Beltman and a HBE. The HBE is 4 years old and holding up great. the Beltman looks great also but I like black holsters so it doesn't have as much carry time.

Don't think you will be disssapointed with any of them. HBE also has mag carriers and is my favorite maker.

SG
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 28th, 2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Here's an update on this.

After thinking it over and doing more research over the past few days, I just now placed an order for the "Canute" IWB holster from UBG, along with a belt and IWB mag holder from UBG, all in brown with a gold buckle on the belt.

It wasn't cheap, but then neither was the Colt. I figure you get what you pay for and this combo ought to serve me well for a long time. I'll probably still use my S&W 637 and my leather appendix carry holster for the "dirty jobs".

Thanks again for your advice guys. I'll post pics when my stuff arrives, which will probably be in a couple months I would expect.

Administrator
    Well, if you are really planning on having that Colt be your daily carry then you must take a look at the offerings by Milt Sparks.
    These are two fantastic OWB Sparks rigs. (below)
    Yes, there is a fairly long wait time.
    Yes, it may even be a while before they are even accepting orders.
    Yes, they really are worth the wait.

http://www.miltsparks.com/

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely remember it if the UBG doesn't turn out well. I kinda just wanted to go ahead and get a good holster for it fairly quickly so I could either decide it would work well (I think I'll be happy with it) or that I needed to browse a little further. I looked hard at the Milt Sparks VM2 after reading much praise about it but decided that 6 months with no holster for my Colt was way too long!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    For an OWB holster the Sparks I-BAK is a sleeper. It is less expensive than most quality holsters, and I especially like the flat backside.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thanks for the suggestion, Jerry. I'm currently considering a nice OWB holster for winter or formal attire carry when I can wear a jacket over the holster or when I need to tuck in my shirt but will be wearing a coat (formal). I'll definitely be keeping Milt Sparks in mind.

To those of you who carry commander size 1911's, how well do they conceal in summer clothes? Just for interest's sake, I put my Colt in between my pants and myself and was surprised at how well it actually concealed on me. Pressing the gun in on myself with one finger (simulating a good gun belt) and bending over kept the grip invisible. It seems like it would be workable, even in the t-shirt and cargo shorts I was wearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links