Defensive Carry banner

Need a good holster for my new Colt Commander

20K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Tn Mitch 
#1 ·
Some of you may remember I just bought this beauty:

And now I need a holster for it.

Previously I turned to a specific Ebay seller for holsters. He makes hand stitched leather holsters of really great quality at a low price. They work great for smaller guns, or larger guns for winter carry, but don't work well for summer concealment. Plus, this gun just asks for a nicer holster. :wink:

I'm about 5'11", hovering around 190. Not overweight but not skinny either. I want a holster that will protect my Colt well (shield sweat, minimal holster wear, etc) and will ride as comfortably as possible and conceal well. While money is obviously always an issue, I am willing to pay a little more to get a good holster.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. :smile:

See less See more
#3 ·
Take a look at 5 Shot, John Ralston. He is now full time and his website states a 12 week wait.
Considering the quality and wait that is hard to equal.
5 Shot Leather, LLC - OWB

I do not have one of his holsters, but his reputation among those who know makes me confident of his workmanship.

Another fine maker with a short wait is Eric at HBE. Nate at UBG has a short wait also I believe.
Any of those men can make a great holster that the gun demands.

If you can stand the wait contact Alex Nossar who along with Gary Brommeland is the best in the business IMO.
http://www.nossargunleather.com/catalog.htm

Regards,
Jerry

#4 ·
My go to guys are:

HBE Specialty Leatherworks. Eric makes the COM III which IMO is the most comfortable and well made IWB out there. It also has everything else you asked for and then some.
Have 5 of his holsters and they are all awesome.

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

COM III for a BHP

TT Gunleather. Tim's holsters are a great buy for the money and their quality improves with everyone that comes out of his shop. Have my P7 on right now and it's holding up great after 6+ months of daily carry. He also gives LEO's and Military a 10% discount.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Reinforced IWB for my P7

You can't go wrong with either gentlemen.

#7 ·
Thanks a lot for your recommendations guys, I've checked them all out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards UBG or HBE for the holster. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I also need a gun belt, and would like a magazine holder as well. If I go with the UBG holster, I can get both of these from him also. I may end up doing that anyway even if I go with the HBE.

Any idea how a UBG gunbelt would stack against a belt from beltman? I want it to last for years.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks a lot for your recommendations guys, I've checked them all out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards UBG or HBE for the holster. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I also need a gun belt, and would like a magazine holder as well. If I go with the UBG holster, I can get both of these from him also. I may end up doing that anyway even if I go with the HBE.

Any idea how a UBG gunbelt would stack against a belt from beltman? I want it to last for years.

I don't have a UBG, but I do have a Beltman and a HBE. The HBE is 4 years old and holding up great. the Beltman looks great also but I like black holsters so it doesn't have as much carry time.

Don't think you will be disssapointed with any of them. HBE also has mag carriers and is my favorite maker.

SG

#9 ·

S & W Commander size 1911 in a FIST #1 holster. Have used this combo for years and it works well for me. Always remember that a good gun belt will "make the deal" and that is certainly true here as well. Good luck

#11 ·
Here's an update on this.

After thinking it over and doing more research over the past few days, I just now placed an order for the "Canute" IWB holster from UBG, along with a belt and IWB mag holder from UBG, all in brown with a gold buckle on the belt.

It wasn't cheap, but then neither was the Colt. I figure you get what you pay for and this combo ought to serve me well for a long time. I'll probably still use my S&W 637 and my leather appendix carry holster for the "dirty jobs". :smile:

Thanks again for your advice guys. I'll post pics when my stuff arrives, which will probably be in a couple months I would expect.

#12 ·
Well, if you are really planning on having that Colt be your daily carry then you must take a look at the offerings by Milt Sparks.
These are two fantastic OWB Sparks rigs. (below)
Yes, there is a fairly long wait time.
Yes, it may even be a while before they are even accepting orders.
Yes, they really are worth the wait.

http://www.miltsparks.com/

#13 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely remember it if the UBG doesn't turn out well. I kinda just wanted to go ahead and get a good holster for it fairly quickly so I could either decide it would work well (I think I'll be happy with it) or that I needed to browse a little further. I looked hard at the Milt Sparks VM2 after reading much praise about it but decided that 6 months with no holster for my Colt was way too long!

#15 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Jerry. I'm currently considering a nice OWB holster for winter or formal attire carry when I can wear a jacket over the holster or when I need to tuck in my shirt but will be wearing a coat (formal). I'll definitely be keeping Milt Sparks in mind.

To those of you who carry commander size 1911's, how well do they conceal in summer clothes? Just for interest's sake, I put my Colt in between my pants and myself and was surprised at how well it actually concealed on me. Pressing the gun in on myself with one finger (simulating a good gun belt) and bending over kept the grip invisible. It seems like it would be workable, even in the t-shirt and cargo shorts I was wearing.

#16 ·
I sometimes carry a SA LW Compact. I wear shirts with the tails out most of the time. A good pancake holster like the I-BAK or similar holds the gun close to the body, and I have not had a problem concealing the gun.
A difference is that the Commander has a full size grip as opposed to the Officers size in the Compact. The grip is the problem with a 1911 and concealment.

It is important to get a cant that has the grip as much along the vertical axis of your body as reasonable. While the IWB would conceal better in some ways I find the OWB more comfortable and not a problem to conceal if I dress around the gun.

Regards,
Jerry

#18 ·
Check out pureKustoms.com the Black Ops is both an IWB/OWB and has an adjustable cant. I wear mine with khaki's or cargo shorts and a t-shirt, polo or button down shirt with no problem. Plus, the turn around time is a lot shorter than most others

#20 ·
Here's another update.

I got an email today saying that Nate at UBG holsters was requesting a payment, so I guess that means he will start making it soon!

I'll post pics when it arrives...

#22 ·
If you are looking for a good OWB holster check out Mitch Rosen. I have models from his full detail and express line and they are my favorite. The express line models come in quick and they are just as high quality as the full detail models. The only difference is the looks.

#24 ·
Recommending a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for a Colt Commander is like suggesting a leggy redhead wear a short skirt. It's a GREAT idea & I'm so GLAD I suggested it!

#25 ·
Milt Sparks holsters | gun-holster.com You can buy holster from all the good brands here everyday...I have a dozen Milt Sparks holsters,and never waited more than a few days for one...2 summer special 2's for 5 inch 1911,3 VM2s for 5 inch 1911's,2 black,1 cordovan,for full siz 5 inch 1911,1 cordvan,with shark, trim,Axiom for 5inch 1911,1black,with black shark trim Axiom for Commander4 1/4.1 black with shark trim VM2 for Commander,1 Axiom Cordvan with Black trim for 5 inch 1911,and 2 VM2's for my glock 27's 1 black 1 brown, and many more.... have a closet and drawer full of holsters,over 2 grand worth...believe me go mto that site,and look around youll find what you want..:danceban:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.