Home-Made Denim Holster

This is a discussion on Home-Made Denim Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just had to make me a holster because I was not finding what I wanted on the market. So, since I carry concealed every ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Home-Made Denim Holster

Home-Made Denim Holster

I just had to make me a holster because I was not finding what I wanted on the market.
    So, since I carry concealed every where I go, and I get to wear blue jeans to work, and Just love blue jeans period. I decide to make me a holster out of denim
    At the time I only made one other holster out of a leather, and it was ok.
    The denim holster I made was real easy to do, Fast, and not much cost in them.

Only need a few yards of denim, some 3mm fun foam that you can get a Hobby store anywhere, spray glue for fabric.
    And access to your Wife/Mothers sewing machine.
    First step is to cut your pattern out of the fun foam.

Second step is to use the spray glue to attach the fabric to the foam. Leave some over hang on the denim about 1/4 inch around your pattern.
    The glue just helps out when sewing the fabric together, but also if you use the spray glue and a roller you can press out all the wrinkles in the fabric and it makes for a much nicer products.

Once this is done all you do now is sew along the 1/4 over hang all the way around your pattern.
    Next sew along the inside of where the foam is, you have to do this because the glue will lose grip at some point in time, So you are just sewing the denim together this does not take long at all.
    If you can keep somewhat of a straight line you will be fine.

Once you sew your denim together you are ready to fold over your sides and sew them together.
    Use the 1/4-inch over hang first. This way you can slide in your pistol and check to see how it fits most of the time it’s lose and if so just move the needle over just a little and re-sew.
    Repeat this step until your pistol fits inside your holster the way you want it too.
    I was able to make two holsters in about two hours.

As far as the clip goes I had to hand sew it on. But, if you know for sure where you want the clip to go before you make your fold you can sew it on at that time.
    I have been very happy with the two I made. So far they have held up better than the Uncle Mikes holster I bought. Plus they blend in with the blue jeans I wear if any part of the holster should be showing.
    I was needing a inside the pants holster and could not find one that was total under the waist line of my belt or pants.

This just works or me. I hope this helps others out there making there own holster.
    As I got alot of ideas from this forum on making leather holster and kydex holster.
    Attached Images
    QKShooter, Logic and 40Bob like this.

2. Remove Ads

Nice job.
    Bosun
    Semper Paratus
    "Never choose a life at sea--it holds you like a prison"

That actually doesn't look that bad. Keep up the good work. If you have one made from kydex put it up!

Impressive!
    Looks like it'll work for ya'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Looks good!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Lacking all ability to do anything like that, I am instantly impressed by any success anyone has making their own holster.

I really like the idea of a foam-denim covered holster. You get a little padding, and there is no reason why it must be leather.

Neat.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchison View Post
    Only need a few yards of demi, some 3mm fun foam that you can get a Hobby store anywhere, spray glue for fabric. And access to your Wife’s / Mothers sewing machine. First step is to cut your pattern out of the fun foam.
    I see you aren't going to admit owning your own sewing machine!
    Logic likes this.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I own several sewing kits, and a sewing machine. I can sew, but never tried to make a holster.
    Perhaps it is time to try my hand at something new.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I will admit I used my Mothers sewing machine to make those holster. She won't let me take it to my house to use, She thinks I will break it... I would buy one but why spend the cash on a sewing machine when I can borrow hers. This way I have more money to send on the next gun purchase...

This was one of the easier project I have done. I could not believe how fast it all came together.
    So, if you have a sewing machine go for it.
    It does not have to be denim you can use almost any kind of fabric.
    The first one I made was out of vinyl it came out ok. I just like the denim better.

I am going to make one for a 44 mag. next. I am also thinking of using some of that kydex for a holster they look easy to make. I guess I will find out.

Murchison, thanks for the instructions! Gave it a try; I made mine OWB with strong elastic for a retention strap. Didn't use denim, went with some corduroy stuff.

materials.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Ex Member
    Great job.
    gloves12 likes this.

Maybe not 'great' =) thanks though.

How is it over there on Earth these days?

I have a similar idea. I've wanted to try making a Kydex holster and covering it with denim. Just not sure what I can use to adhere the denim to the kydex that won't make the material hard and tacky but will still keep it stuck to the kydex.

Looks very nice. If I could make a purely aesthetic suggestion... next time you make a denim holster consider sewing a "pocket" on the inside where you want your clip secured. That way you can make a small slit in the outter material to put the clip through and give it a really professionally made appearance.
    If You Can Read This You Must REALLY Be Bored!

Aha, sure - took me a second to think through what you were saying. The OP does have a pocket of denim covering the clip, but you're suggesting to put that part on the inside - that would work, you're right.

Wow, didn't realize people made Kydex stuff at home - seeing a lot of 'presses' on google; pretty sweet. Have you ever done any of that?

I havent worked with Kydex yet. I've made a few generic knife sheaths with some low quality leather before. I really want to get into kydex for both knife sheaths and gun holsters.

There's lots of really good tutorials out there on the web and youtube as far as the process of working with kydex. Seems to me the hardest part is the pressing of the rivets and the fine finishing. There's places like knifekits.com that sell prefabricated shaping presses, but it's just as easy to build your own with a 1x12, a 2x2, and a few bar clamps... and far less expensive.
    gloves12 likes this.
    If You Can Read This You Must REALLY Be Bored!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links