On body carry methods for females

This is a discussion on On body carry methods for females within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have done a few searches, and come up empty, and I know we have covered this before so please, don't think I am just ...

I have done a few searches, and come up empty, and I know we have covered this before so please, don't think I am just asking a question that has been covered.

My wife recently told me she wants to start carrying exclusively on body. She has before mostly carried in her purse, which is one designed for it. But now wants to transition to on body carry only.

This makes me very happy of course. She currently carries her XD .40 SC in a Blackhawk SERPA with a spare magazine on her left hip. She is happy with this but would also like to explore more options that might be more comfortable for women.

So, anyone have any resources on line that we can look at for ideas for her? I figure Lima does and we are looking forward to her response.

Thanks everyone.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

corneredcat.com

Great site for the women.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Kramer makes a belt holster designed specifically for women. Their work is impeccable. Look under "Scabbards".
    Kramer Handgun Leather - Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

JD
    Administrator
    Here's a thread started by PAX (Cornered Cat)

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lly-women.html

JD
    Administrator

Senior Moderator
    Hey TN_Mike, I'm glad your wife has decided to make the switch. I'm sure once she gets more comfortable with it she will never want to go back to purse carry unless absolutely necessary.

I'll admit that I'm a little biased to behind the hip or kidney carry. I have tried smart carry, ankle carry, shoulder-holster carry.. pretty much everything but thigh carry and while I'm certainly interested in trying that I still end up going back to behind the hip. It just works out the best for concealment, comfort, accessibility, movement, all of it.

Shoulder holster carry can be very comfortable... except I know that you have children (lots of children) and when carrying a child while also carrying a shoulder holster you either end up with a kid playing with the butt of your gun or constantly having to reposition it as you try to get your kid comfortably under your arm.

Since having a child of my own I have carried in a shoulder-holster once and it didn't go so well.

Another reason I love behind the hip carry is because it doesn't interfere with carrying a child. You can see this in my latest video "Carrying a Gun and a Baby."

You can also watch my holster videos... in one of them I go over cant. Cant helps SOOOO much for comfort and concealability and it does make a HUGE difference as to the speed and ease of draw. Where your gun is on your body and how your firearm is canted in your holster will make a difference to your carrying experience. If the cant is too severe or not enough it can be hard to conceal, hard to draw and uncomfortable to sit with.

I do LOVE my UBG holster as well as my TT IWB or my husband's Milk Sparks VMII. I'm trying out the Galco N3 as well and have yet to come to a conclusion about that one.

As far as comfort is concerned, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the heavier the gun the more support you'll need for comfort. The XD is not a heavy gun but my holsters with two points of contact to the belt spread out over a wider surface area increase the comfort of carry 100 times (especially when you have a kid's leg adding to the weight).

A holster with only one point of contact to the belt or two that are very close together seems to hang on the belt and waistband, dragging it down and causing tension around the waist and leading to discomfort.

Anything directly on the hip at 3:00 (or 9:00 for lefties), strong-side may be difficult to conceal and hard to manage around kids.

Ankle carry can be convenient for freedom around the waist but hard to get to, and you certainly can't draw and move at the same time. But I'd certainly take that over not being armed at all.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you right now. If you have any specific questions, please ask. I love talking holsters!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Kramer makes a belt holster designed specifically for women. Their work is impeccable. Look under "Scabbards".
    Kramer Handgun Leather - Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster

A freinds wife has this holster. She really likes it.

A good shoulder holster will do the trick. A belly band holster is good, too, if the gun is small enough

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    My wife uses an Alessi CQC/S and also has a Del Fatti rig that Matt used to make specifically for a woman. Don't see it on his site anymore. She usually carries a Smith "J" frame or a HK P7M8.

Fist also makes ladies holsters. I have no experience with them other then I have seen them on the website.

LADYFIST HOLSTERS

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    corneredcat.com

Great site for the women.
    Can't wait to share this thread with my wife, and most of all that link. Thanks John. To be honest, I think it a great site for men or women.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

You might have her look into a SmartCarry or a belly band that can handle the weight of her XD. I have seen women use both and they have said, on the positive side, that these options reduce the bulky feel of holsters. I can relate as I tried holsters (IWB) for a while but gave up on them once I got a SmartCarry and worked with it to the position I was most comfortable with. I ordered a Galco Belly Band this week - expecting delivery today - and want to try it out to expore some other cc options. I plan to post my findings. I carry either a Glock 26 - about the size of an XD SC or sometimes I carry a S&W 642.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Take a look at CrossBreed, especially the SuperTuck...have her take a look at the video of the female carry.

Another possibility is the SmartCarry - a great concealed carry method for both sexes...conceals a full size 1911, conceals mine extremely well and with no weight.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Links