Pure Kustom Black Ops Holster Review

This is a discussion on Pure Kustom Black Ops Holster Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a member here for many years and have to admit, I'm a lurker. I tend to read and listen more than I talk. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Kustom Black Ops Holster Review

I've been a member here for many years and have to admit, I'm a lurker. I tend to read and listen more than I talk. I'm a long time shooter and permit holder. Some of you may have received PMs from me because when I need more information on something I have sometimes sent a PM to get more specific information. When I was looking for more information on a new holster for my Sig 220 I contacted several people in making up my mind about where to put my money. I decided to order a holster from Rocky at Pure Kustom, who is a sponsor here.

I also have to admit that I'm a holster snob and although I have and sometimes use "plastic" holsters, I very much prefer leather. And, while Galco, Bianchi and Safariland holsters are pretty good, I love the fit and finish of a custom leather holster. If you have one, you know what I mean. If you don't, you really should try one.

Anyway, after getting my Sig 220 I needed a holster, but really didn't want to wait the amount of time it usually takes to rise to the top of a waiting list. I called Rocky. In a matter of days, I had a black "Black Ops" holster, custom made for my Sig, in my hot little hands. While I was expecting to be satisfied with the holster for the short term, I wasn't expecting this would be my favorite holster. I have owned custom holsters from several of the major makers and was expecting this one to "hold me over" until I could order one that was worth waiting for. Boy was I in for a surprise.

When I opened the box, I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the holster. I was also amazed at the stiffness of it. I was expecting to have to break it in, but was a little concerned with how tight the Sig fit the holster. It was like a very tight glove. After getting the gun out, I wrapped it in the zip lock bag that the holster came in and left it for a couple of days. Once I picked it up again and put it on my belt I had to work with it a few minutes drawing and putting it back into the holster. It has now loosened up nicely the gun is snug, as it should be, but is easy to draw when needed. And, the holster is extremely comfortable. And, although the holster is set up for both OWB and IWB, I have only worn it OWB. For IWB, you loosen a couple of screws and add the leather belt loops, but more about that later. Let's just say that when I received this holster I was an OWB kind of guy when I bought this holster.

The holster rides high, with what I have decided is the perfect cant for me. No thumb snaps or retention devices needed (or desired), this holster would retain the gun even if in a fight for your life. I have worn this gun and holster for 12 hours straight and it seems to have resolved a problem that I had previously thought was inevitable when wearing a gun for long periods of time, a feeling that the whole right side of my body was being pulled out of alignment. Carry it long enough and I would be down in my back.

If you carry a gun, large or small, every day, you owe it to yourself a Pure Kustom holster. There are no waiting lists, you're dealing with someone that is knowledgeable and you get a first class product that you will absolutely be satisfied with. And once you get it and wear it, you will agree it's worth every penny you paid for it and then some.

While they don't do the product justice, here's some pictures of the holster with my Sig 220. I will be adding another review for the second Black Ops that I bought for my Springfield Armory Operator 1911 before going back to lurking. I just thought a quality product today was something worth posting about.
    Attached Images
    While you still have blood in your veins and breath in your lungs, keep fighting.

Well now, that's a darn good first post. I've been eyeballing Rocky's holsters, good luck with yours.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

PK

My Dad got his on Father's Day... He loves it. Took about 15 draws to break it in.
    Congrats!!!!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Great review on what does appear to be a very well made holster. Thanks for sharing.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm mostly a 1911 type guy. I have several of them and since they are all the same barrel length, they all fit the same holster. I recently bought a Springfield Armory Operator with a rail. Needless to say, that gun would not fit in any of the holsters I already had. Obviously, with my new discovered favorite holster for my Sig, I called Rocky to see if he could make one for my Operator. Not only could he make one, he had one in stock and he had it in the color I was wanting, medium brown. I ordered it and just a couple of days later, I had it delivered right to my door. I was excited.

Same story as before, I put the Operator in the holster, with much effort, and when I tried to remove it I thought I was going to have to put my foot on it to get the gun out. As before, I wrapped the gun in the bag that holster came in, shoved it into the holster and waited a couple of days. When it had loosened up enough, I took it out of the bag and put it in the holster. It was still tight, like the Sig was, but holstering it and drawing it a few times and it had settled it in perfectly. I put it on and carried it for the rest of the day and found it to be as comfortable as the Sig was in the other holster. And, it was, as I figured out, due to the gun's position and balance on my belt. I wore this gun/holster for several days and found it to be very concealable under just a tshirt. The cant was perfect (for me) to conceal a full size 1911, with rail. If you have never tried it, the cant of the holster is a very important factor to get correct in order to conceal a 1911, especially a full size gun. The Sig is a little more difficult since it is a much wider gun, but was still doable in the "Black Ops". The Operator was much easier.

Although I really don't like to carry a full size gun IWB because it is just not comfortable to me. I have, on occasion, carried one of my 1911s in a Max ConV. It has never really been comfortable, but there are times you have to carry IWB or not carry at all. And, while skeptical, I added the IWB belt loops to my Black Ops and tried out the Operator. I wore it for four hours the first time as a trial and was experiencing no problems so I continued wearing it at home. After another 3 or 4 hours, after virtually forgetting that I had it on, I decided I might be able to finally praise the virtues of IWB. While it is very comfortable carrying IWB with the Black Ops, I have to admit I am still an OWB guy but since it's summer an as hot a griddle, I find myself carrying IWB more often. It just seems to work better in light clothes.

What I continue to be surprised at is that it is, without question, more comfortable IWB than the king of IWB carry, the Max Con V. And, when compared to that holster, it is every bit as well made. Because of the stiffness, re-holstering after a draw is easy; the mouth does not collapse even in tight waisted pants like jeans that are not an extra size larger than normal. And with just a tshirt over it, my Operator virtually disappears.

If you are looking for a custom leather OWB or IWB holster, you might want to give Rocky a call. There's a good chance he has one on the shelf but if he has to make you one from scratch, it will be made quickly and without charging your credit card beforehand. Just follow the procedures of breaking the holster in and I think you will be as satisfied as I have been. Keep up the great work, Rocky!

Here's some pictures of the holster with my Operator. It is worth noting that my other guns, without a rail, work well in this holster although long term carrying a gun without a rail in rail model holster is probably not a good idea. That just means I need another holster.
    Attached Images
    While you still have blood in your veins and breath in your lungs, keep fighting.

Here's a few more pictures I couldn't figure out how to add to the preceding post. It's also worth noting that the pictures turned out more orange than the holster actually is. It actually appears to be more a pure brown when you look at the holster.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    He sure does do some darn fine leather work.
    I'm personally not an IWB guy 'cause I figure...Why "I" when you can "O."

But, his straight OWB rigs are fantastic also.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm personally not an IWB guy 'cause I figure...Why "I" when you can "O."

But, his straight OWB rigs are fantastic also.
    I'm the same way but that's what makes the Black Ops so nice. If you even rarely need an IWB holster, it works IWB without compromising stability or comfort.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Well, if I get a Pure Kustom I'm going for this latest American Beauty.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, if I get a Pure Kustom I'm going for this latest American Beauty.
    Now, that is pretty cool....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    I'm with you QK, that same holster is at the top of my list too! In fact, the only thing stopping me from ordering one is I still haven't found a job but... I'm not letting that totally kill the idea!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    That holster is a lot like me.
    If you split me open and peel back my hide you'll find Old Glory in there.

I had the same attitude...I thought I would never carry IWB...bought my Black Ops as a OWB...I have worn it once OWB and the rest IWB....very comfortable...Robbie

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Thanks for the great review Toter. I 'm glade you like my kustom products.

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. I really enjoy the holster business. And serving people like you, makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Now, that is pretty cool....
    Those grips are awesome.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links