Considering OWB carry

This is a discussion on Considering OWB carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go both ways also. OWB carry is the G36 in a Tucker HF2. An untucked polo shirt and shorts. Good to go....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering OWB carry

I go both ways also. OWB carry is the G36 in a Tucker HF2. An untucked polo shirt and shorts. Good to go.

2. Remove Ads

One thing to check for, especially since you're use to IWB carry. Put the OWB rig on and try reaching up high like for something on a top shelf. OWB carry requires a longer cover garment at times like that. I carry a cane left handed (weak side) so any reaching (i.e. for groceries) is done with my strong side hand.

Yes, OWB CAN be more comfortable but that's not always the case. It'll depend on your belt, holster and gun you're wearing. I carry my Glock 19 primarily OWB but my 1911s IWB because of their thin profile.

Give it a try and see what YOU think.
    Jack

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the OWB a whirl since I received one with the gun purchase. If I don't like it, I can always change back to IWB since I'm comfortable with that option.

I really just wanted to get some feedback from experienced people using OWB regarding comfort and concealment.

VIP Member
    I love my IWB holsters but seriously... how could not stuffing a holstered gun inside your pants possibly not be more comfortable?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OH NO Slomo is biholsterual!!!!

I carry both IWB and OWB. IWB conceals easier. OWB is more comfortable and quicker / easier to deploy my weapon from.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I carried IWB for a bit but it didn't take me long to realize that IWB wasn't for me. I went for a basic OWB Galco COP 3-slot holster and haven't looked back since.

I've been carrying OWB the last few days around the house to get a feel for it... So far it's very comfortable and conceals well with an untucked button down shirt. Not to mention, I can tighten my belt to where it's supposed to be!

I'd try it outside the house if I could find some 40 S&W to load it. Ammo is pretty scarce in Knoxville at the moment it appears. Unless I want to pay $20+ per box at the local range.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Open carry is legal here in Tennessee...good thing...I vary between concealed and open carry a Glock 27 in my Don Hume 721 OT holster. I used to carry IWB when I was younger and lighter, but now that I'm older and heavier, OWB is much more comfortable.

Depending on your build you might try AIWB. I find it a lot more comfortable than the traditional 3:30 - 4:00 position yet not as comfortable as OWB. It is a very fast presentation position for those who care about such things.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links